PDA

View Full Version : This is the only site on the entire internet I can access right now.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 09:21 PM
Just coming off of an internet shortage. -headscratch- And nothing but GitP and sorta-facebook work. Facebook'll work through Trillian, but nothing else does. It's very odd.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-28, 09:29 PM
This has happened to me a few times. Not sure what causes it or how to fix it, though, aside from time and maybe a reset. =\

arguskos
2010-11-28, 10:08 PM
Could be worse. You could be stuck with Google's homepage or something. At least you've got GitP to keep you company. :smallcool:

Rawhide
2010-11-28, 10:28 PM
This could be related to one of many problems, such as DNS errors or negative caching (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_cache).

Negative caching is the act of caching that something does not exist. If you tried to access any sites while they were inaccessable, your computer could cache that they do not exist, or if you or any of the other users who access the internet through the chain of DNS servers you go through tried to access any sites, your DNS servers could cache that they do not exist.

For your computer, it is possible to flush its DNS cache, but for the DNS servers, you will just have to wait.

If you're running Windows, try going to Start > Run, then type in "cmd" (sans quotes) and press Enter. In the command prompt, type "ipconfig /flushdns" (sans quotes) and press Enter. If the problem is negative caching on your computer, this should fix the problem.

Jimorian
2010-11-28, 10:29 PM
Your ISP probably reset their DNS server, and it's taking some time for the updates to take hold.

AstralFire
2010-11-29, 05:37 AM
Could be worse. You could be stuck with Google's homepage or something. At least you've got GitP to keep you company. :smallcool:

You jinxed me! Right after you wrote this, GitP stopped working. :smallsigh:

LordShotGun
2010-11-29, 10:14 AM
Yet you managed to post here....

AstralFire
2010-11-29, 10:18 AM
Yet you managed to post here....

Yeah, I did.

Look at the post times.