PDA

View Full Version : Losing Subscriptions

mootoall
2010-11-28, 09:25 PM
So, I usually subscribe to all of the game recruitment threads I'm interested in, so as to keep tabs on them without trawling through the forums, and I usually don't unsubscribe after the game itself starts. I also subscribe to the IC and OOC threads of those games. So, at some point I had around 74 subcriptions. Today, I went to go looking for one of them, and notice that the number had dropped to around 60-something. Is this a regular forum procedure, that after a subscription doesn't update for a while it gets deleted? Or does the thread itself disappear after a while, taking the subscription with it? Is there a cap on subscriptions, or do they just delete themselves based on how long ago they've updated?

happyturtle
2010-11-28, 10:14 PM
I'm currently subscribed to 490 threads, so I don't think there's a cap.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-11-28, 10:19 PM
I'm currently subscribed to 490 threads, so I don't think there's a cap.

How on earth do you even keep up with that?

Mystic Muse
2010-11-29, 11:53 AM
How on earth do you even keep up with that?

I'm currently subscribed to almost a thousand. I'm guessing they're in the same situation as me. In my case, most of the threads I've subscribed to are past their expiration date and don't have any posts in them. I think the most threads I get in any one day are 20.

Raz_Fox
2010-11-29, 12:31 PM
As someone in the same boat as you, I can confirm that it's the thread itself vanishing - the OOC threads, to be precise, as they have a lower expiration-to-deletion period.

Some of your older OOC threads - I'd estimate dating from about a year ago - will be the ones vanishing, I can guarantee it.

mootoall
2010-11-29, 02:22 PM
As someone in the same boat as you, I can confirm that it's the thread itself vanishing - the OOC threads, to be precise, as they have a lower expiration-to-deletion period. Some of your older OOC threads - I'd estimate dating from about a year ago - will be the ones vanishing, I can guarantee it. Mm, well, that does seem to be the case. Danke!

PersonMan
2010-11-29, 02:43 PM
Recruitment threads poof as well-those and the OOC threads going down is probably enough to be what you're seeing.

Mordokai
2010-11-30, 03:14 AM
I'm currently subscribed to almost a thousand. I'm guessing they're in the same situation as me. In my case, most of the threads I've subscribed to are past their expiration date and don't have any posts in them. I think the most threads I get in any one day are 20.

Isn't that exercise in futility? I mean, aren't you supposed to subscribe to threads that update at least semi-regulary? I have three subscriptions at the moment and I'll most likely remove one of those, since it hasn't been updated in more than half a year.

If there are threads that I think are important to me, I usually just put them in a GitP folder in my bookmarks, so I can go back and check on them any time I wish. Much less clustered that way.

Zherog
2010-11-30, 09:57 AM
Isn't that exercise in futility? I mean, aren't you supposed to subscribe to threads that update at least semi-regulary?

I use it for the exact opposite -- I subscribe to threads that don't update regularly, but I want to be able to find easily. Typically, it's threads that might best be described as "reference material."

happyturtle
2010-11-30, 10:45 AM
Most of my subscriptions are dead now. Old werewolf games and rp threads that reached 50 pages and were restarted. I don't need to know if there are new posts, because there won't be any, but if I want to find an old post, it's a lot easier to search through my 8 pages of subscriptions than the umpty pages of the entire subforum.

Mystic Muse
2010-11-30, 01:20 PM
Isn't that exercise in futility? I mean, aren't you supposed to subscribe to threads that update at least semi-regulary?.

Yes, but I'm too lazy to delete them.:smalltongue:

Irbis
2010-11-30, 03:23 PM
There is someone who doesn't auto-subscribe threads in which someone replied to you? :smallconfused:

It's much easier to check that than to manually subscribe then check each one in turn if there is something new.

Zeb The Troll
2010-12-01, 05:54 AM
That's pretty much it for me. I'm at nearly 800 now because I auto-subscribe to any thread I post in, plus I manually subscribe to threads I find interesting but haven't had anything to say. And I don't prune nearly as often as I should.

Rockphed
2010-12-06, 03:41 AM
That's pretty much it for me. I'm at nearly 800 now because I auto-subscribe to any thread I post in, plus I manually subscribe to threads I find interesting but haven't had anything to say. And I don't prune nearly as often as I should.

How often should pruning be done? This coming from someone whose only subscribed thread is old, 67 pages long, thread necromancied at least once, and locked like the corners of Xykon's cold, dry heart. I should probably subscribe to the various lets plays I read, especially the one that keeps almost dieing.

I also agree with the above who said that irregularly updating threads are more useful to subscribe to than rather active threads. After all, rather active threads will be obviously updated in all but the most prolific of fora, whereas slow to update threads might get a single post a week, so if they update on a day when you don't come to the forum, you will miss the update.

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-06, 05:33 AM
How often should pruning be done? ...

Unless it's going in my favourite homebrew folder or my folder for indespensable stuff like the home made OotS smilies, I prune anything that hasn't update for 2 weeks because they're unlikely to do so again.

Marnath
2010-12-06, 02:57 PM
I don't subscribe to threads at all. >.>
I'm always checking the forums for new threads that interest me anyway, and if a thread drops off the first couple pages I lose interest anyway, so I've never needed to subscribe.