PDA

View Full Version : LA Help

Strife Warzeal
2010-11-29, 02:01 AM
I am fairly new to dnd 3.5 still, and I have only played PHB classes and races.
What I want to know is how Level Adjustment works in a nutshell. Like what a 'LA +1 race/template' means.

Any help is appreciated.

WarrenZig
2010-11-29, 02:11 AM
LA is actually pretty simple, what it means is that the race/template requires more exp to level; to be more specific a +1 LA means that the character requires 1 level higher exp to level then normal.

For example a level 1 with 1 LA needs to get enough exp to hit 3rd level to get 2nd, he then needs enough exp to get 4th level in order to get to 3rd level and so on.

Strife Warzeal
2010-11-29, 02:18 AM
Thank you, and I assume the trend continues for +2 and so forth.
Realistically in average play you wouldn't be getting to a class level of 20, (Wizard 20 etc.) because that is an epic amount of exp, correct?

HunterOfJello
2010-11-29, 02:22 AM
It depends on how hefty a LA you have and whether or not your DM allows the Reducing Level Adjustments (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingleveladjustments.htm) variant from Unearthed Arcana.

~

If LA reductions are allowed and you had +1 LA, then you would level up to class level 3 as normal, gain 2000 xp, pay 2000 xp to buy off the +1 Level Adjustment, and then have 0 LA afterwards.

Confused even more now? You're welcome.

WarrenZig
2010-11-29, 02:24 AM
Honestly, it's only an extra 20k exp (the amount of exp you need to reach the next level is your current level x 1000) and it's really up to your DM about when exp gets cut off. depending on the pacing of the game and the encounters your DM makes it's not impossible to catch up before the end. +2 or more on the other hand probably isn't going to go over well.

Strife Warzeal
2010-11-29, 02:28 AM
Basically ask my DM before/during a campaign when/how to buy-off the levels.

WarrenZig
2010-11-29, 02:39 AM
LA buy offs are a variant rule, which means it's not in the standard rule set, so you shouldn't expect to be able to use buy offs by default. You need to get your DM's approval first.