PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge Devotion

bartman
2010-11-29, 10:58 AM
Can anyone tell me if you have used this to good effect in a game? Does it slow down combat at all, since you have to make x number of extra rolls? I know it is just at the begining of the encounter, but it is still that many more numbers to compute. As a DM, would you be annoyed by a player using it?

Tael
2010-11-29, 11:02 AM
In my group the first thing we do regardless is try to identify a monster, and knowledge devotion is just part of that.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-29, 01:06 PM
Can anyone tell me if you have used this to good effect in a game? Does it slow down combat at all, since you have to make x number of extra rolls? I know it is just at the begining of the encounter, but it is still that many more numbers to compute. As a DM, would you be annoyed by a player using it?
I would be less annoyed by a player making one extra roll for Knowledge Devotion than if they made extra attack and damage rolls for Two-Weapon Fighting. If you're annoyed by one extra roll, you shouldn't be playing D&D. :smallsigh:

As a player I've used KD to very good effect, because from about level 14 on a Rogue with Skill Mastery can guarantee a 36 (i.e., the maximum +5 bonus) every time, without rolling. That doesn't slow down the game at all.

Coidzor
2010-11-29, 03:15 PM
The extra roll should be negligible. If they have trouble with adding their modifier to their die roll, then I'd recommend them to draw up a table to refer to for what their result is with X roll.

Feliks878
2010-11-29, 03:18 PM
I'm gonna jump on the "It's not a big deal" bandwagon here. In our group it's mostly a concern about individual players spending too much time rolling against individual classes. If our fastest player (who has her turn planned out in advance and dice in hand) were to play it, no problem. But the guy that takes 30 godsdam seconds to get his dice together every time, and never has his turns preplanned? I'd be a bit more upset about it.

Even in that case, however, I don't see it being much of a difference.

Incanur
2010-11-29, 03:19 PM
Knowledge Devotion is a cool feat. I'd be happy to see a player using it.

bartman
2010-11-29, 11:05 PM
OK, this is all what I figured, I just wanted some more ideas from other DMs. I generally pre-roll anyways, (no not cheating like in THIS (Post #14) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177684) thread), so my turn is generally pretty quick.

Thanks all for your input

Thurbane
2010-11-29, 11:34 PM
The Collector of Stories skill trick in CS goes well with Knowledge Devotion...for investing 2 skill points, you get a free +5 bonus one one Knowledge check per encounter. :smallbiggrin: