PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Tier?

Skjaldbakka
2010-11-29, 01:30 PM
At what "Tier" are PCs best matched up with straight from the MM CR appopriate encounters?

When reworking/determining the class list to balance for a specific Tier, what Tier should I be aiming for, if I want to be able to run encounters "straight from the book"?

Mystic Muse
2010-11-29, 01:35 PM
That actually depends on the book in question. Which one/s do you plan on using?

boj0
2010-11-29, 01:35 PM
Assuming appropriate roles are filled (tank, skill-monkey, healing, spells):
Tier 3 and 4 seem to be a solid benchmark IMHO

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-29, 01:39 PM
CR varies widely as far as actual power goes. Tier 1 can deal with all fo them :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2010-11-29, 01:55 PM
T3 tends to hit the sweet spot between "we can't do anything" and "we can do EVERYTHING!"

While you can make a challenging game for T1-2, or a playable game for T4-5, T3 is the best "out of the box" with no modifications at all.

Of course, you still have to deal with the borked CR system at that point :smallsigh:

Skjaldbakka
2010-11-29, 02:09 PM
There is a CR system? I thought it was just arbitrary numbers assigned to monsters? :smalltongue:

HunterOfJello
2010-11-29, 02:11 PM
Tier 3 with the addition of an occasional Tier 4 or Tier 2.

Also depends on the power level that the DM has set up for the game and the number of players involved, among other things.

lesser_minion
2010-11-29, 02:13 PM
The wiki thinks that the game was meant to be balanced around the rogue, in Tier 4.

The general consensus, however, is that Tier 3 classes are the most fun to play and make for the best game overall.

It doesn't matter too much as long as everyone's roughly the same tier, although tier 2 and tier 1 play is a turn-off for quite a few people.

Tier 0 (ridiculous overpowered god-classes that only exist in homebrew) and Tier U (Ungradeable -- e.g. Truenamer) should probably be avoided no matter what, however.

Eloel
2010-11-29, 02:27 PM
Tier 0 (ridiculous overpowered god-classes that only exist in homebrew)

I don't think anyone creates classes better than Tier 1 ones.
They even sacrifice their familiar for flavor. Sorry.
Unless I'm missing something. I sure might be. :smallamused:

Psyren
2010-11-29, 02:31 PM
Tier 0 (ridiculous overpowered god-classes that only exist in homebrew) and Tier U (Ungradeable -- e.g. Truenamer) should probably be avoided no matter what, however.

They even sacrifice their familiar for power. Sorry.

Actually, there are three variants that are widely considered to belong to "Tier 0" (for whatever that term is worth.) These are:

- Psionic Artificer
- Spell-to-Power Erudite
- Arcane Swordsage

This ranking is possible because class variants are considered independently for tier-determination - that is what allows Wildshape Rangers to occupy a separate tier from regular Rangers for instance, or Ardents with Dominant Ideal and Mantle Substitution to be higher than base Ardents.

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-29, 02:33 PM
They even sacrifice their familiar for flavor. Sorry.

Lightning Warrior is what they call it if i recall.

Psyren
2010-11-29, 03:30 PM
Lightning Warrior is what they call it if i recall.

lesser_minion covered that:

(ridiculous overpowered god-classes that only exist in homebrew)