PDA

View Full Version : Psionics Combo Question and Build Advice!!!

wayfare
2010-11-29, 05:20 PM
I was recently arguing with another GM over Psionics vs. Magic. So I put the question to you: Which system do you thing is better, and which is more balanced?

Also, I'm looking to play a mind blade in a friends campaign -- any ideas as to how to make a decent build? I'm considering building to Illumine Soul as it seems cool and doesnt detract much from the overall mindbladery, but I have a feeling this might be a bad idea. Any thoughts?

Tael
2010-11-29, 05:30 PM
A few things:
1. Psionics is less powerful and more balanced than arcane magic, but it's still really freaking powerful, so be aware.
2. Soul Knives suck. I recommend using a homebrew fix (there are a lot of them online).

Eldariel
2010-11-30, 02:37 AM
You want a Psychic Warrior with Soulbound Weaponry (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a). Basically Soulknife with Powers. Kinda like a Jedi with built-in Light Saber really :smallbiggrin:

dgnslyr
2010-11-30, 02:42 AM
I like Psionics a bit more, because it's a bit more balanced, and easier to grasp.

Psionics can still be very powerful, and can be about as balanced as an elephant on a tightrope. Of course, a Wizard's spellcasting would be an elephant on a unicycle on the same tightrope, so it doesn't mean much to say that psionics is broken.

Psyren
2010-11-30, 05:30 AM
Why is your DM complaining? Soulknives have a tangential relationship with psionics at best. :smalltongue:

Ask your DM to use the Dreamscarred Press Soulknife (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/soulknife). If not, use the Soulbound Weapon Psychic Warrior linked earlier.

AstralFire
2010-11-30, 05:33 AM
Psionics is harder for someone to screw up, more like traditional combat magic and more balanced. So, yeah.

Psyren
2010-11-30, 05:37 AM
Yes - Psionics is breakable, but you have to actually try to do it. So long as you remember the cardinal rule ("You can't spend more PP on any given power than your manifester level") then you can just play normally without breaking anything.