PDA

View Full Version : Smarter than you think?

Cybertoy00
2010-11-29, 06:20 PM
In comic 548, Redcloak claims that Soon and the Sapphire Guard were 'sloppy' for not keeping a closer eye on the other 4 Gates, and from that context he's right. I mean, purposely ignoring other rifts in the space-time is downright foolish.
However!
From another angle, it's downright brilliant. Lack of information can be a form of protection as well.
The only reason Redcloak interrogated O-chul was so Team Evil could get a better idea about what Girand guarded his Gate with. Remember when Redcloak and Xykon got close to the Azure City Gate? They almost got plastered by the ghosts of over a hundred paladins. If it weren't for the plot, Soon's ghost would have finished them both off. Redcloak states that the lack of intel on that almost got them killed. And then there's the fact that if not for som outside help, like Lirian's big mouth and Serini's diary, Team Evil would never have know about the other four Gates. Near the end of Start of Darnkess, Xykon kept the Team from going into Dorukan's Dungeon until Dorukan had been lured out and dealt with simply because they didn't know what was in there, and he'd rather face the wizard outside of his comfort zone.
In 277, Shojo states that the Sapphire Guard went out of their way to erase any and all mention of the Gate or rift from historical records. Why not go one step further and make sure your own paladins know as little as possible about the protection of the Gates? Even if a paladin refuses to talk, a strong enough spell could (I know nothing about magic in D&D, so I'm assuming) coax it out. Making sure that there's little to information on the Gates assures that any villlain going after one is going in blind.
In its own mad way, not having intel on the other Gates helped because it meant the villains won't be able to find out anything.
What do you think?

AstralFire
2010-11-29, 07:14 PM
I think that that is precisely what we are meant to read into it. Redcloak's judgment gets horribly blinded by anything that gives him an excuse to hurt paladins, including evaluating their decision as a tactical error.

leakingpen
2010-11-30, 12:11 AM
of course, since the MOMENT the first gate was destroyed, we have the scene with miko being sent to investigate, and the statement that they gate was being pretty much constantly scryed on, that blows redcloaks assumption out of the water.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-30, 12:13 AM
Yeah, but that's probably because there was another gate destroyed before that.