PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassment Thread

TheLaughingMan
2010-11-29, 06:30 PM
Has anything embarrassing occurred to you recently?

In my case, I'm pretty sure my attempts at singing just brought an angry neighbor over to shut me up. ...Which means people nearby heard my cat-wailing.

Pinnacle
2010-11-30, 02:13 PM
I recently auditioned for my first community theater show, did reasonably well, and the show was good.

Two of the people from that show were doing an audition with another group yesterday, and I decided at the last minute to go meet them and audition.
This group took it much more seriously. There were 88 people there (I was number 85), and most people there had already borrowed and read through the scripts and practiced their musical pieces over the preceding month. They picked our songs for us, but didn't provide music because the minority who didn't have their songs memorized already had brought their own.

One of the people from the other show managed to get the three of us copies of our cuts (he was much more prepared than I, but he was still caught a bit off-guard by how prepared these other folks were; he had a friend with extra copies of many of the cuts, however) and let me borrow his I-Pod that had all the music on it, but it wasn't nearly enough.
I was trying for two different characters, but he only managed to get me one of the cuts; I got to pick which one of the two I was going to do, but the one he gave me wasn't the one I wanted.

The show was RENT. The song I had was the reprise of "I'll Cover You".
The first time the song shows up, it's happy, sung by a guy with a high voice, moves quickly, etc. The reprise is very sad, slow, and low.
Guess which version I started off with right away? Almost as soon as I started, I just wanted it to end so that I could leave, but there were four pages of music to stumble through before it was over. :smalleek:

Oh, and the people I had wanted to meet were numbers 33 and 35. They got to leave halfway through and I was there alone, waiting.
All in all, I devoted... six and a half hours and $4.25 in parking fees to this terrible misadventure.

I'd say that the one good thing was that I got to audition in a room by myself with only the people judging me and the piano player watching so that only like five or six people heard my cacophonous screeches, but I think it might have helped me if I hadn't. If we'd been auditioning on the stage, I would have got the chance to listen to some other guys first and I prob'ly would've done better.
I'm mostly upset because I know that I'm better than that. Not getting the part wouldn't have bothered me. Screwing up like that means that I could've done better, and I'll never know what would have happened.

ForzaFiori
2010-11-30, 03:07 PM
I went over to a friends house to watch the Clemson-South Carolina football game. I'm a Clemson fan, he and his whole family are Carolina fans. Clemson owns the series (its something like 70-30 or 60-30), so I was talking some trash.

Clemson lost 29-7.

Not only am I a bit embarrassed by my school's showing, but also by all the words I was forced to eat.

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-30, 05:52 PM
i once hugged a stranger in wal-mart thinking he was my mom.
yes, you read that right

Ranger Mattos
2010-11-30, 06:00 PM
yes, you read that right

Especially since it was a "he".

As for me, I don't have many embarrasing moments, other than not be able to answer really easy questions in class.

ScottishDragon
2010-11-30, 06:44 PM

Heh,same thing happened to me,exept I thoght the person was my grandma.The weird thing was the person was a good 30 years younger than my grandma.:smalleek:

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-30, 06:44 PM
Especially since it was a "he".

As for me, I don't have many embarrasing moments, other than not be able to answer really easy questions in class.

i was in a caffeine-less state and he had long hair

Admiral Squish
2010-11-30, 06:55 PM
My dad always used to tell me and my brother to do at least one embarrassing thing each day. And we often did, though I can tell you it was usually unintentional. We're just awkward dudes. However, dad's regimen of self-inflicted mortification did end up producing positive results. Both myself and my brother are now pretty much unafraid to do embarrassing but fun things, which I believe has led to a much more interesting life than the alternative.

Kjata
2010-12-01, 02:45 AM
Well, it's not recent, but its the most embarrassing to ever happen to me by far.

The night I lost my virginity. And it is worse than the awkwardness of most people's. Let's leave it at that, shall we?

Serpentine
2010-12-01, 02:49 AM
The other morning my boyfriend and I thought our housemate was out.
You know where I'm going with that.

Lord_Gareth
2010-12-01, 02:52 AM

He caught you guys watching the Matrix sequels?

Serpentine
2010-12-01, 02:53 AM
Nah, he would've watched and made fun of them with us.

Kjata
2010-12-01, 04:50 AM

He came back to find you eating his food and taunting his cat?
While naked?

Serpentine
2010-12-01, 04:55 AM
Actually he's the only person in this house who doesn't have a cat. And I only steal his milk :smallwink:

Kjata
2010-12-01, 04:58 AM
Actually he's the only person in this house who doesn't have a cat. And I only steal his milk :smallwink:

What kind of demon deprives their friends of their daily dose of calcium?

rakkoon
2010-12-01, 04:59 AM
I was making one of my often-used 'cellphones make you sterile' jokes when halfway through the joke I remembered the guy I'm talking to has 10% chance of making his wife pregnant....interesting moment. I decided to just pull through with the joke and he still laughed but there was an awkward moment in the middle there.

Serpentine
2010-12-01, 05:10 AM
What kind of demon deprives their friends of their daily dose of calcium?Hey, I almost never finish it off, I usually buy him more (usually more than I nick), and he has lots of yoghurt and stuff.

Totally Guy
2010-12-01, 08:52 AM
There was one time I was showing a female coworker a photo slideshow of my trip to Forbidden Corner (she was planning a trip there) and once it got to the end it started back at the very beginning of all my photos which happened to be of me attending a naturist evening.

Fortunately as it was an innocent picture of me and my buddies in the sunshine the context was clear and she didn't find it offensive even though it wasn't an ideal situation.

Syka
2010-12-01, 09:26 AM
Not mine, but Oz's dad was introducing me to some family friends on Thanksgiving. He forgot my name completely. I've been dating his son for over three years, hehe. He actually at least guessed at my mom's, and got pretty close.

Can't blame him, though, as my memory is horrible.

Serp...I have totally had similar things happen. It's one of those "...craaaaap" moments. x.x

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-01, 07:08 PM

oh i know! he caught y'all acting out twilight?

Helanna
2010-12-01, 08:08 PM
I do so love these threads. Besides being amusing, they make me feel slightly better about my own embarrassing mishaps!

Although my most recent embarrassing moment was finding out that I'd COMPLETELY forgotten to turn in my final exam for First Year Experience at college, and thus failed the class. Just to clarify - the extent of this class is showing up once and writing a journal entry once a week. I may in fact be the first person to ever fail it.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-01, 08:17 PM
I can't think of anything I've done that embarrassed me recently. I've done some rather foolish things that got me teased by friends, but if people laugh (and at my antics, not at me), then I usually don't get that embarrassed...

Liriel
2010-12-01, 09:13 PM
My disability studies professor has problems with impulse control due to his disability. Thus he often jokes around with us in what may be considered strange. This is highly important background information...the only thing that kept me from crawling under the rug when the incident happened.

I should also mention my prof is from out of country...as was his wife.

Prof's wife had finally gotten here in spring semester to be with him after he'd been here a year already (if I recall right). Summer break comes and goes and then fall semester comes around again. I'm walking through the student union to grab food and I see my prof. I walk up and say hi, ask him how he's doing and all that jazz. He tells me, in a normal tone of voice, that his wife left him and went back home. I (obviously thinking he's joking) reply along the lines of, "Oh, that's great - more of you for us students." One of my classmates who'd been his student assistant shook her head at me (too late!) at which point I realize I'd just congratulated my prof on his quite real divorce. :smalleek: I felt oh so very small.

Later on she told me my comment had cheered him up, so all's well, I guess....:smallredface:

TheBibliophile
2010-12-03, 07:11 PM
Talking for about a minute in Physics about "the mechanism that turns the blades" in a blender, only to have my teacher say to me in her best sarcastic Scots tone: "You mean the motor?"

Yeah.

Xyk
2010-12-05, 12:59 AM
Last year, after several weeks of nervous pacing and asking her friends about her relationship status, I asked this girl out. Then her girlfriend grabbed her hand. It was embarrassing.

Mr. Moon
2010-12-05, 01:12 AM
On a final exam a few years ago, I got a really bad case of hiccups halfway through. The loud kind that you can't stop, and hurt a lot.
I swear, by the end of that exam, everyone hated me. .-.

yes, you read that right

I did that once, too...
In my defence, I was young, freaking out, lost, and he was wearing the exact same colour jacket she was.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-05, 01:43 AM
On a final exam a few years ago, I got a really bad case of hiccups halfway through. The loud kind that you can't stop, and hurt a lot.
I swear, by the end of that exam, everyone hated me. .-.

Aww. *hugs*

This reminds me! Once, during a test, a felt something fall onto my head. I brushed it off reflexively, and found out it was a cockroach. Roaches and I have a history. >.<

I jumped out of my chair and screamed like a little girl. Everyone stared at me until I flipped it off the desk and sat down again. MAN, that was awkward. >.<

Partof1
2010-12-05, 01:54 AM
The most recent thing I can remember would be my chem class, and it wasn't actually my fault. My one friend is a nce enough guy, as is my other friend, but they're the kinds of friends who make enemies redundant, though I am one of those myself.

A while back:
Teacher: Can anyone define [word I could not define]?
Friend: Tom (me) can! He was just telling it to us!
Friend 2: Yeah, Tom, what does [word] mean?
*cue all eyes on Partof1*
*cue Partof1 probably blushing and stammering that he in fact did not know the answer and swearing quietly at said friends*

Don Julio Anejo
2010-12-05, 03:23 AM
Embarassing? Well, my best friend just had his birthday. Right now as I speak he's passed out on my couch. With a Victorian 'stache, black gothic fingernails, one hand pitch black, the other blue, rainbow feet and "i<3 u -Helen" in like 3 places (this Helen person wasn't present but we all know she likes him).

...He has to come back to work tomorrow...

...His boss was one of the people who did the sharpying...

...People at his work are taking bets over facebook as to what his excuse will be for missing work...