PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] But how does the 'super build' -play?-

Endarire
2010-11-29, 08:38 PM
Intro
I've seen many statements that, "X is so powerful" or "Y shouldn't be allowed in a game with a sane DM." I've read the arguments behind them.

But how do these builds play, especially power-wise, if you need to begin from level 1 to 3? If you've played it, tell us your build and comments! How did the DM challenge you?

Beholder Mage (BM)
Level 9 Sor/Wiz spells at BM9 (potentially ECL10 depending on how polymorph any object works). Can cast spells as free actions.

Dweomerkeeper (DwK)
Level 4 (ECL9): 1 spell/day has no components, including no material or XP components.

Planar Shepherd (PS)
Wild Shape into outsiders from a chosen plane and get their spell-like abilities. Efreeti have wish as a spell-like ability. Modrons have a super caster level. Dal Quor means you get 10 turns to others' 1.

Spell-to-Power Erudite (StPE)
Learn and spontaneously use any spell or power. (Technically, it's arcane spells only, but there are ways to make divine spells arcane.)

Sublime Chord (SC)
This 'super Bard' can learn Bard spells or Sor/Wiz spells. SC9 grants level 9 spells, but L9 spells are 2 levels behind Wizards.

Ultimate Magus (UM) Quickstep
A Wizard with a means of spontaneous casting from his Wizard list (Spontaneous Divination, Signature Spell, etc.) can apply the prepared and spontaneous class progressions. A Wizard5/Ultimate Magus8 (ECL13) has the spells known and per day of a Wizard18. A Wiz5/UM10 (ECL15) has the spells known and per day of a Wiz22.

Ur-Priest (UP)
Level 9 Cleric spells by UP9 (ECL14).

<NEW ENTRY>

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-29, 11:11 PM
Beholder Mage (BM)

Starting at level 1, you're basically a wizard, plus beholder traits. At level 3, you're casting better than anyone else of your level, plus beholder traits. At level 5, you're tossing around win-button spells, plus beholder traits. It just gets worse from there.

Dweomerkeeper (DwK)
As a normal character of [class used to enter], plus once per day starting at ECL 9 you can pull things like, say, one Get Out Of Death Free Card via revivify. Not much more powerful than the base class to start, but noticeably so.

Planar Shepherd (PS)
All the wonderful triple-threat power of a druid plus free wishes or free rounds? You really have to ask? :smallwink:

Spell-to-Power Erudite (StPE)
Again, this is basically erudite + bonuses. The real good use of the StP ability is picking up spells with expensive material components, since you can spend 2 PP to ignore them. Imagine being able to spam forcecage, revivify, and other spells to your heart's content with no cost, plus the full powers of a psion plus whatever spells you want.

Sublime Chord (SC)
This isn't actually broken, it just puts bards on an accelerated casting schedule. By the time you get it, you've been a fairly standard caster (or possible bard 1/noncaster 9) for a while.

Ultimate Magus (UM) Quickstep
Again, this one casts as normal for the first 5 levels, so from level 6 on it's nothing but freebies.

Ur-Priest (UP)
Once again, it plays as a normal [class X] until level 5. It dips in capability between 6 and 9 or so as spells fall behind level-appropriate ones, but after that you start matching or exceeding a cleric--you have fewer spells, but 5 levels' worth of class features over an equivalent cleric.

Really, the first three are the only really broken ones, the other ones are more manageable, and none of them are the "weak at level 1, strong later" variety, every single one being a strict power-up.

EDIT: Oh, I should probably mention that I was the DM challenging the PCs with the first three builds and the UM one; I've played the others.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-11-30, 03:50 AM
There are ways to get into SC early. You checked out my prereq thread? Cuz your counting BM @ ecl1...