PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Low Magic Conversion

The_Scourge
2010-11-30, 12:17 AM
I'm planning on running a fairly low magic game at some point in the new year and I've been puzzling out ways to make high level casters not stomp all over, not just their opponents, but the feel of the world as well.
One Idea I had was making all 9-spell level casters into 6 spell level casters like Bards, Alchemists, inquisitors etc. Now, granted, sorcerers, wizards clerics etc get a whole lot less extra class features than six level casters. But if I can figure out a way to make this work it solves all my high level spell problems, no more Gate/Miracle/Shapechange nonsense.
Any ideas on how to make this work?

Golden-Esque
2010-11-30, 07:02 AM
Your simplest bet is to forbid the use of 9th-level spellcasters in your party. That's essentially what running a "low magic campaign" means, and Paladins are perfectly capable healers in Pathfinder (Lay on Hands + Channel Energy can cover most things; even more so if you take the Hospitaleer variant in the APG). You could also make a Ranger variant that trades an Animal Companion for limited shapeshifting if you wanted.

gkathellar
2010-11-30, 08:41 AM
Making them into 6th-level casters would be fine, up to a point, but bear in mind that even in Pathfinder spellcasting is the strongest ability. A 20th level wizard who can only access 6th level spells isn't going to eat the universe for breakfast, but he will stomp a 20th level fighter.

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-30, 09:50 AM
Making them into 6th-level casters would be fine, up to a point, but bear in mind that even in Pathfinder spellcasting is the strongest ability. A 20th level wizard who can only access 6th level spells isn't going to eat the universe for breakfast, but he will stomp a 20th level fighter.

Well, a bit, though Fighters now have access to some decent nerfing ability and whatnot thanks to the "Critical" and "Assault" feat lines, which both work surprisingly well. Ok, they can't fly as easily, but so what?

Also, your example is more accurate at 19th level that 20th, simply because of the Fighter capstone, which sybergises so well with the "Critical" feats that it's frightening [not 7th level spells worth but should equal 6th without too much issue]

agentnone
2010-12-01, 02:37 AM
I think nerfing wizards and sorcerers and the like is the wrong way to go. Because then no one will want to play one. I wouldn't want to if I couldn't reach full class potential.

Here's what I did for my low-level D&D campaign:

Any spell of 6th level or higher must have components, Eschew Materials Feat does not work for those level of spells. Or for your campaign, take it out completely. Take a look at the materials too, and if they're easy to find change them up. I made the Wish spell have to have the ashes of a dead Djiini. One that the wizard slayed himself, alone. The Djiini's body gave him enough ashes to do 5 castings, the XP and other requirements had to be met too.

I also have wizards have to find their spells. Just because they level up does not mean new spells show up in their spellbook out of no where. However, to offset this a little, I give them a few extra 1st level spells and some 2nd level ones to start with.

Take out Meta-Magic Feats and double XP cost for magic item creation. Though to help with this, other can contribute their XP for item creation as well. Meaning, the Wizard is making a wand of Magic Missile. The Fighter and Rogue can donate XP to help the Wizard pay for it. Total team effort and it helps hinder the party as a whole.

You're trying to make a low magic campaign and nerfing the one thing that should stand out in a world like that. Consider also reducing the Sorcerer and Wizard hit points back to d4 and give Wizards the ability to use all Simple Weapons. They may use less spells this way. Sure, they'll be squishy, but with thrown and ranged weapons, they will be able to fight a little more and cast a little less. You could also just keep it to the 4 basic classes: Fighter, Rogue, Cleric and Wizard.

Though if you do want to stick with your original idea about cutting off casting past level 6 spells, then also consider nerfing the non-casting classes, like Fighters and Rogues, in a similarly equal manner. Otherwise, no one will want to play a gimped class if the others are untouched and then you should just take magic out completely since it won't matter anyway.

Anyway, I hope this helps and I hope it all made sense. Just some random ramblings of a sleepy DM sitting at work. That's my 2 copper anyway, hope it helped some.

The_Scourge
2010-12-01, 02:59 AM
I had thought of making higher level spells available through "rituals" or something like that, but it'd have to be tailored to each and every spell.

I don't want to straight up make full casters weaker, I'm just looking for alternatives to high level spells that are unflavorfull. Cutting out sorcerers and tying bloodline powers in with school specialization was one thought I'd had but it doesn't quite click.

agentnone
2010-12-01, 03:11 AM
I had thought of making higher level spells available through "rituals" or something like that, but it'd have to be tailored to each and every spell.

Well, what about making the caster have to do a Spellcraft check to cast them, his DC would be the same as the Save DC for the specific spell? On top of that, you could also increase the casting time a little. Like from a Standard Action to a Full Round Action.