PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Food Ideas

Ragitsu
2010-11-30, 08:52 AM
Fire Element Infused Wheat.

Unlike standard wheat, this variety requires ash laden soil (possibly ash from volcanoes on the Elemental Plane of Fire) and an especially warm environment, but rewards the effort with wheat possessing an especially smokey flavor that is prized amongst nobility.

---

How about you guys? Ever design something new/unique for your games, in order to boost culinary variety?

Salbazier
2010-11-30, 10:56 AM
Not really for games, but..

Whiskey. I read somewhere the means 'water of life' So I made somekind of drink made from flowers and I forgot what else, some bird-like creature eggs and some kind of grain, perhaps, that was called Water of Life or whiskey. Totally non-alcoholic and fresh you up a lot.

Silverwheat. A silver-colored wheat. More nutritious that your standar wheat. Can be used to make waybread/lembas sort of food.

Eldan
2010-11-30, 11:01 AM
I made an entire list of exotic liquors and drugs for a Sigil bar once... though I can't remember most.

Morning Mist is a bottle full of scintillating mist, sold in a big, round bottle from which you suck it, a little like pipe smoke. It is actually made from three things: the protoplasm-fog of the ethereal plane, condensed dreams from the Dreamscape (where else) and just a little essence of a ghost. The Nathri invented it first, for shamanic rituals. It's a strong hallucinogen, leaving you knocked-out and dreaming for hours.

Silverscale
2010-11-30, 01:28 PM
You may want to take a look at this thread here http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165297 as it has an extensive list of fantasy foods along with a host of other interesting things including a cooking PRC.

Ragitsu
2010-11-30, 07:02 PM
You may want to take a look at this thread here http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165297 as it has an extensive list of fantasy foods along with a host of other interesting things including a cooking PRC.

Some of that food is a bit disturbing to me.

Notreallyhere77
2010-12-01, 08:12 PM
I came up with something called Blood Fungus, which was a basically an exotic kind of truffle that grew underground. It was white on the outside, and named for its gooey red center. Think of a jelly donut, but with a different flavor and consistency. It was best fried.

Also, fried centipede on a stick was a nice treat in the underdark.

Mercenary Pen
2010-12-01, 08:27 PM
Not quite a roleplaying session, but for a piece of fiction I wrote recently I decided that my goblin tribe considered roast wolf to be a delicacy.

TechnoScrabble
2010-12-01, 08:33 PM
Dwarvendirk. A particularly stiff, pointy, and hard to eat underground root plant that makes a great wine that gives a +2 CON bonus for two hours when properly prepared.

Renan Conch. A delicious snail who's blood is used for tattoos, magical ink, and contact poisons that cause paralysis and horrible, horrible pain.

And, of course, elves. Sweet, delicious, snooty elves.

Creed
2010-12-01, 08:37 PM
Harpy Eggs. They ARE bird people after all. Think ostrich eggs, but with... y'know, harpy-ness.:smallconfused:

Ravens_Wing
2010-12-01, 10:04 PM
Kobold-kabobs!

Just remember you really have to tenderize the meat well. Those suckers really seize up after you stick em.. Though in hindsight It may have been more effective to make sure they were dead first.....Oh well! :smalltongue:

fimzo
2010-12-01, 10:43 PM
I think I came up with some ideas of this before, but I can't remember what they were. Wait... Here's one I used in a sci-fi universe I developed (not for an RPG): Shruples, a naturally sweet, gelatanious substance made of liquefied diamond.
Also, could you make exotic gelatin from a gelatanious cube (after nutrealizing the harmful effects)?

Ragitsu
2010-12-02, 08:40 PM
Wow, things move fast around here.

Admiral Squish
2010-12-02, 08:42 PM
Someone has linked to me! I am so very happy!

As for disturbing foods, keep in mind, you don't HAVE to eat all of this stuff. I just wanted to leave room for this sort of feast. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0744.html)

Serpentine
2010-12-03, 05:36 AM
One of my party members ordered a boiled hippogriff egg for breakfast once. The cook rolled poorly on their skill check... So the egg had a nasty little hippogriff foetus in it. The character, knowing no better, ate it anyway :smallyuk: Mmm, crunchy.

They also came across a shop that sold only hydra-based fare, and another that sold giant beetle steaks.

Ragitsu
2010-12-05, 09:17 PM
Hm, we may need more drinks.

fimzo
2010-12-05, 10:13 PM
Hm, we may need more drinks.

Dragon milk!

Wait, dragons are reptiles... I don't know, then.

WeLoveFireballs
2010-12-05, 11:50 PM
Thanksgiving in a bottle! A delicious drink made by halflings but prized by all partial to turkey, potatoes, corn and all other flavors of thanksgiving. A single swallow is a whole meal for anyone but the flavors last as long as you like allowing you to savor every one!

Creation: CL 3, Brew Potion, 6 ranks Craft or Profession (Cook), Halfling
Components: 3 Roast Turkeys, 30 potatoes (10 mashed, 10 diced and fried, 10 baked), 6 lbs green beans (steamed or boiled), 24 ears of corn (boiled), 12 pies (assorted) and any other dishes to casters taste. (creates 30 doses)
The Components generally total 30 gp but are rare in any season other than Autumn. All dishes require a skill check DC 15 (taking ten is allowed) however if the skill checks average 20 then it is exeptionally good and increases regeneration from resting by 50% in addition to other benefits.(does not stack with other effects). If more than one swallow it taken then regeneration doubles instead but drinker takes a -2 penalty to all checks and another -2 to any checks to wake up in the night until he has had at least 8 hours rest.

List price is 60gp but it can often reach up to 200gp due to demand and scarcity.

Serpentine
2010-12-06, 04:28 AM
All Willy Wonka's creations need statting out, methinks.

The drops that make you spit in 7 different colours would only need prestidigitation, I think.

Oo! Food based on Cantrips! Lets see...

Acid Splash: A tangy sauce, most often used for marinating meats such as troll or tarrasque.

Arcane Mark: ...? Maybe a nice decoration for magical pies?

Create Water: Never-ending bottle of Fanta.

Cure Minor Wounds: Boiled candy with a chewy and uplifting positive energy centre.

Dancing Lights: Chewing gum that makes floating sparkles when a bubble pops.

Daze: Pop rocks to the extreme!

Detect Magic: ??

Detect Poison: Flavoursome syrup that turns anything that isn't poisonous blue.

Disrupt Undead: Uh... A sweet mix of holy spices that turns your spit into holy water?

Flare: A hard chew that sends out flashes of light with every bite.

Ghost Sound: A sugar whistle that, when you blow in it, sounds like it's coming from 10 feet to your left.

Guidance: A zesty energy drink that fills you with pep and vim.

Inflict Minor Wounds: A bitter lolly that makes your spit hard as nails.

Know Direction: A lollypop that points north when you spin it.

Light: A lollypop that glows when sucked.

Lullaby: A gentle milky drink suitable for drinking just before bed.

Mage Hand: Flying gummy butterflies.

Mending: Bubblegum. Just ordinary bubblegum.

Message: A type of gum that, when split into two, lets the people chewing each piece whisper messages to one another until the flavour runs out.

Open/Close: A really sticky toffee that makes your teeth clamp shut and then spring open.

Prestidigitation: Oh, so many. The sweet that makes you spit in 7 different colours. The piece of gum that is a 4 course meal (but watch out for the blueberry pie...). The... other things that I can't remember cuz it's been ages since I read any Roald Dahl.

Purify Food and Drink: Wholesome, nutritious tea and biscuits that never go stale.

Ray of Frost: Ultra breath mints.

Read Magic: A gobstopper that increases focus.

Resistance: A tonic so vile that it makes anything else tame by comparison.

Summon Instrument: A sugar whistle, obviously.

Touch of Fatigue: A toffee so chewy that it's just exhausting to eat. A favourite of parents of rowdy children.

Virtue: A particularly rich glass of wine.

Debihuman
2010-12-06, 12:08 PM
Thanksgiving in a bottle! A delicious drink made by halflings but prized by all partial to turkey, potatoes, corn and all other flavors of thanksgiving. A single swallow is a whole meal for anyone but the flavors last as long as you like allowing you to savor every one!

Creation: CL 3, Brew Potion, 6 ranks Craft or Profession (Cook), Halfling
Components: 3 Roast Turkeys, 30 potatoes (10 mashed, 10 diced and fried, 10 baked), 6 lbs green beans (steamed or boiled), 24 ears of corn (boiled), 12 pies (assorted) and any other dishes to casters taste. (creates 30 doses)
The Components generally total 30 gp but are rare in any season other than Autumn. All dishes require a skill check DC 15 (taking ten is allowed) however if the skill checks average 20 then it is exeptionally good and increases regeneration from resting by 50% in addition to other benefits.(does not stack with other effects). If more than one swallow it taken then regeneration doubles instead but drinker takes a -2 penalty to all checks and another -2 to any checks to wake up in the night until he has had at least 8 hours rest.

List price is 60gp but it can often reach up to 200gp due to demand and scarcity.

It's way too cheap for a potion. Base it on purify food and drink, and add 750 gp for the 30 doses and maybe it would make more sense. Without that, the batch would probably be good for only 3-5 days. Then again, getting food poison from a batch gone bad would be interesting.

Debby

Lord Vukodlak
2010-12-07, 02:30 PM
I have a lizardman who made a cookbook with dishes such as

King Umberhulk[king crab]
Saald Salad
Beholder Float Roast
Pulled Krenshaw
Rack of Raksasha
Skewered Bone Devil
Gob-Kabob[Goblin]
Dragon Sausage, Dragon Steak, Dragon Roast, Dragon Stew
Chimera Meat Pizza, three kinds of meat from one creature
Pancakes

Ragitsu
2010-12-07, 07:13 PM
I'm trying to think of more Elemental based foods, such as Air Elemental Apples.

Warclam
2010-12-07, 07:18 PM
I had an NPC kobold shopkeeper one time who specialized in roasted insects. The catfolk sorcerer bought several jars of crickets delicately seasoned with a mysterious blue mold.

I also had the idea one time for after-dinner mints that magically "taste" like interesting trivia.

Flarp
2010-12-07, 08:28 PM
All Willy Wonka's creations need statting out, methinks.

The drops that make you spit in 7 different colours would only need prestidigitation, I think.

Oo! Food based on Cantrips! Lets see...

[...]

I love this! I could just see a seedy old dabbling wizard roll his gaudily-colored cart into town, and all the city's children would come running out for Cantrip Candies, Spell Sweets, and... something else alliterative.

Wait, I think I just came up with the plot of Willy Wonka.

Anyway: Cheap way to make food sound more believable: give the finished product something that sounds wildly different and implies a completely different method of cooking than the ingredients.

For example, sweetbread, which you might expect to be a grain product with cinnamon or sugar, is in fact calf thymus.

Additionally: explore non-human cuisine. Dwarves almost universally utilize underground flora, and may have all sorts of cool fungi or even domesticated subterranean animals to eat. Elves might have, besides the obvious vegetarian dishes, dishes that use plants or plant parts that humans cannot/will not eat.

More exotically, any intelligent gerbil (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IntelligentGerbil) race will have very different ideas about cuisine.

WeLoveFireballs
2010-12-07, 10:02 PM
It's way too cheap for a potion. Base it on purify food and drink, and add 750 gp for the 30 doses and maybe it would make more sense. Without that, the batch would probably be good for only 3-5 days. Then again, getting food poison from a batch gone bad would be interesting.

Debby

Actually I was thinking more like 6 doses goodberry (average 5 each). And yeah I forgot to add going bad. Considering how much can actually be exposed to air at a time probably 1 dose every day after the first week.

With goodberry it's approximately 1/10 of the 750 price for 6 charges of a 1st level spell rather than 50 so 75. You add the fact that it goes bad whether you use a charge or not and 50-200 gp is pretty resonable. The race and skill restriction makes up for the class restriction so any halfling with cooking can do it.

WeLoveFireballs
2010-12-07, 10:08 PM
I love this! I could just see a seedy old dabbling wizard roll his gaudily-colored cart into town, and all the city's children would come running out for Cantrip Candies, Spell Sweets, and... something else alliterative.

Wait, I think I just came up with the plot of Willy Wonka.

And then he loads 5 of his sweets with a contingency teleport spell and distributes them randomly! His tricky tower of candy making eliminates them one by one until the final one claims his crown of candy summoning!

ADVENTURE IDEA! MUST WRITE!:smallbiggrin:

Ragitsu
2010-12-08, 07:34 PM
Roasted Earth elemental infused mushrooms, served with grushstalk sauce.

Ragitsu
2010-12-08, 07:40 PM
Oh, how would food STORAGE change/stay the same when magic is a factor?

Admiral Squish
2010-12-08, 10:01 PM

Angriz's chest in RotD is a magic food-preserving box. I was going to be devising extradimensional versions of it for the Omnomnomicon.

Other ideas include quintessence-pickling, or other quitessence-infused preservatives.

WeLoveFireballs
2010-12-09, 04:08 PM
I remember there was an old item in some book from AD&D that covered up to 12 cherry size objects in "A sweet brown substance with an unusual flavor" (Chocholate of course). This is best combined with the "Eternal Peanut" (crack the shell and it reseals and forms another peanut).

Melayl
2010-12-09, 09:43 PM

Well, the Quiet Repose spell could keep meats fresh indefinitely (with enough uses).

A metal-lined box with a permanent Chill Metal effect would function the same as a refridgerator or freezer. As would a caster with any [Cold] spell cast regularly.

Ragitsu
2010-12-10, 06:35 AM
Along a similar line, Heat Metal means you can have fuel-less stoves.

Serpentine
2010-12-10, 07:22 AM
I had a character who had a "bag of freshness". Basically a minor Bag of Holding that kept food fresh in it. She mostly stored various bits of meat meant to feed stray cats in it.