PDA

View Full Version : Swift Actions

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-30, 12:31 PM
I believe it was simply the rambleing of the misinformed but some one on here mentioned stepping a move action down to a swift action.

I though Swift actions were 1 per round by definition in 3.5 not a tier of action like in 4th.

Am i correct or did i miss somthing.

Swift Action
A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. You can perform only a single swift action per turn.

Douglas
2010-11-30, 12:43 PM
You are correct. Some people allow stepping a move action "down" to a swift action, but this is strictly a house rule and has some potential balance problems.

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-30, 12:46 PM
You are correct. Some people allow stepping a move action "down" to a swift action, but this is strictly a house rule and has some potential balance problems.

2 quickened spells and a regular spell to be specific i assume.

Morbis Meh
2010-11-30, 12:48 PM
That is unless you have Travel Devotion (CoC) which allows you to move your max movement as a swift action once per day + per 2 turn undead attempts spent.

Douglas
2010-11-30, 01:02 PM
That is unless you have Travel Devotion (CoC) which allows you to move your max movement as a swift action once per day + per 2 turn undead attempts spent.
Wrong direction of conversion. That's spending a swift action to gain a move action. We're talking about spending a move action to gain a swift action.

Feliks878
2010-11-30, 01:40 PM
2 quickened spells and a regular spell to be specific i assume.

This would, in fact, be one of the most glaring abuses. Of course, you could always say someone is limited to one quickened spell per turn (and I believe this may actually be a rule, but I can't find it)

Edit: Durr, it's right there in the description of Quicken Spell.

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-30, 01:45 PM
This would, in fact, be one of the most glaring abuses. Of course, you could always say someone is limited to one quickened spell per turn (and I believe this may actually be a rule, but I can't find it)

Edit: Durr, it's right there in the description of Quicken Spell.

It's double stated by the definition of a swift action. Most likely a hold over from the original wording, Which came out bofore Swift Actions were added to the game.

Thurbane
2010-11-30, 06:20 PM
On a tangent, is there a compiled list anywhere of what you can do as a swift or immediate action (other than what's in the Rules Compendium)? Feats, items, class abilities etc.

lesser_minion
2010-11-30, 06:23 PM
You can step a standard action down to a swift action (readying an action is a standard action; swift actions are on the list of things you can choose to ready).

But it's not possible to do the same with a move action.

Greenish
2010-11-30, 06:39 PM
That is unless you have Travel Devotion (CoC) which allows you to move your max movement as a swift action once per day + per 2 turn undead attempts spent.To be exact, Travel Devotion works for a minute, and you get more uses by burning TU.

You can step a standard action down to a swift action (readying an action is a standard action; swift actions are on the list of things you can choose to ready).I don't think you can ready an action as another action. :smallconfused:

Siosilvar
2010-11-30, 06:42 PM
To be exact, Travel Devotion works for a minute, and you get more uses by burning TU.
I don't think you can ready an action as another action. :smallconfused:

Readying an action always takes a standard action.

EDIT for source:

The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun. Readying is a standard action. It does not provoke an attack of opportunity (though the action that you ready might do so).

Curmudgeon
2010-11-30, 07:30 PM
You can step a standard action down to a swift action (readying an action is a standard action; swift actions are on the list of things you can choose to ready).
You're leaving out some significant information there. The Ready action allows you to ready a free action, and this might allow you to perform a swift action.
You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions. In that regard, a swift action is like a free action. However, you can perform only a single swift action per turn, regardless of what other actions you take. You'd still have to have a valid triggering condition so the readied swift action could take place before it.
To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it.