PDA

View Full Version : (3.5e) Statting up a Ghost BBEG

ArcanistSupreme
2010-11-30, 01:06 PM
For an upcoming oneshot, I want to make a ghost Master of the Unseen hand for the BBEG, and I'm not quite sure how to go about it. What classes are best for meeting the prereqs/synergizing with MotUH? I'm shooting for ECL 11ish (The party will be level 9), but I want this to be HARD as it is the last encounter. I want victory to be a possibility, but I won't be upset by a TPK (it's essentially an undead apocalypse horror game, and the players are going to die at the end no matter what).

All 3.5e sources are okay, and gestalt is acceptable as a last resort. Battlefield suggestions would also be welcome.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-30, 01:38 PM
I don't recall if the Telekineis of ghost was a SLA or Su ability, but check the Quicken ____ version of them, might be worthwhile (the Quicken supernatural ability is in TOM IIRC)

CodeRed
2010-11-30, 01:43 PM
Look in Libris Mortis for my two favorite things for a ghost, the stackable Evolved Undead Template and the Ephemeral Examplar class which is amazing for incorporeal undead baddies.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-11-30, 02:50 PM
Look in Libris Mortis for my two favorite things for a ghost, the stackable Evolved Undead Template and the Ephemeral Examplar class which is amazing for incorporeal undead baddies.

The Ephemeral Exemplar actually seemed kind of underwhelming, but I do like the Tomb Warden prestige class since the final battle can take place in the ghost's tomb. I like the evolved template as well.

Runestar
2010-11-30, 08:35 PM
If you use the ghost SS progression, you only need to take the first 2 lvs for +1cr, leaving you with ~10 class lvs to play around.

Other than that...no idea. :smalltongue: Maybe use a monster as a base, like this medusa ghost?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060324a

icefractal
2010-11-30, 08:50 PM
Rogue synergizes pretty well. Telekinetic Sneak Attack! To everyone at once! :smallamused:

ArcanistSupreme
2010-11-30, 09:53 PM
If you use the ghost SS progression, you only need to take the first 2 lvs for +1cr, leaving you with ~10 class lvs to play around.

Other than that...no idea. :smalltongue: Maybe use a monster as a base, like this medusa ghost?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060324a

I like the SS progression, but I'm a little hesitant about the ghost medusa. I'm going to have the ghost start as a friendly NPC, but things will happen that will result in fighting. The ghost being a medusa would probably set off some alarms for my players. SoDs are also something I'm hesitant about. I want the deaths to be meaningful if/when they occur, not the result of bad luck.

Rogue synergizes pretty well. Telekinetic Sneak Attack! To everyone at once! :smallamused:

As fun as this would be, that trick would only work on round one or in a surprise round. I'm not sure that the number of levels needed to get a respectable amount of SA on one attack would really be worth it. Although that does make me think that Factotum levels could work...