PDA

View Full Version : Is this skill swap balanced? (Rogue, D&D v.3.5)

realbombchu
2010-11-30, 03:55 PM
Hi, I want to play a sailor, but I'm having trouble finding a base class that I like.

Mostly, the character is a rogue, but I would like to trade my Gather Information class skill for Survival and Knowledge (local) for Knowledge (geography). That's the only change I want to make, and I don't think it's unbalanced. What do you all think?

JeenLeen
2010-11-30, 04:00 PM
If anything, from a power perspective, it's weakening the character in preference of flavour*, so I would agree it's not unbalanced.

*Gather Information is crucial in some social/research tasks, if you have a DM that uses it, whereas Survival is not that useful unless you are using the Track feat (and you could still cross-class a point or two if you need it for RP reasons or your DM makes you roll it often.)
Knowledge (Local), besides also having research uses, is sometimes used to know about certian local enemies, so it could apply in combat. I guess Knowledge (geography) can help you avoid traps and find useful ways to navigate around things, though... so both are rather situational. Maybe equal in power, but Geography isn't better, I wouldn't say.

So, in short, I see no way you are abusing anything and it seems a good trade.

Telonius
2010-11-30, 04:00 PM
Hi, I want to play a sailor, but I'm having trouble finding a base class that I like.

Mostly, the character is a rogue, but I would like to trade my Gather Information class skill for Survival and Knowledge (local) for Knowledge (geography). That's the only change I want to make, and I don't think it's unbalanced. What do you all think?

I don't think it would be unbalanced at all. If your DM objects, you could take a one-level dip in Ranger to get you both Survival and Knowledge (Geography) as class skills. You'll still have to spend two skill points in them to increase them when you take Rogue levels, but their maximum will be (level+3), not (level+3)/2. Rogue19/Anything Else1 is better than Rogue20.

Thespianus
2010-11-30, 04:03 PM
Not unbalanced at all.

If your DM objects, bring out the venerable dragonwrought Kobolds. ;)

Eloel
2010-11-30, 04:08 PM
Unless you're trying to sneak into a PrC with Survival and/or Knowledge(geography) as requirements, it looks ok.

Also, try Factotum.

ericgrau
2010-11-30, 04:31 PM

Trading knowledge local for geography is no big deal, probably a downgrade. Survival is a major wilderness skill and one of the major things that a rogue can't normally do, much like giving open lock or disable device to a ranger. I mean scouts get it and similar skills/abilities in exchange for sucking in combat unless they add on movement tricks in their build. Check out the wilderness section of the DMG in addition to the PHB rules and you'll see what I mean. Survival is used for everything; it's as good outdoors as trapfinding is in a dungeon. Gather information is sometimes nice but often optional. So survival is a major upgrade. But skills usually aren't that big of a deal anyway and their rules often get ignored, so it probably won't make a big difference.

Fluffwise survival is used most often in the woods, caves, etc. Very boyscout / outdoorsy skill. The naval applications I can think of would be predicting the weather and maybe fishing. It's a loose fit fluffwise. Maybe you're thinking of something else? Maybe heal?

Diarmuid
2010-11-30, 04:33 PM
Unless you're trying to sneak into a PrC with Survival and/or Knowledge(geography) as requirements, it looks ok.

Also, try Factotum.

Agree 100% on the PrC thing.

realbombchu
2010-11-30, 04:36 PM
Thanks everyone. No, I promise I'm not being sneaky. I'll keep the dragonwrought kobolds in reserve, though, just in case my Dungeon Master still says no. ;)

We're gonna sorta-sandbox on the Isle of Dread. A few years ago, we played a certain campaign there and really enjoyed the place, so back we go. Good times.

Edit: You're right that Survival is an upgrade (on a jungle island), but I don't think I'll break the game with it.

Greenish
2010-11-30, 04:48 PM
Of interest for you might be the Wilderness Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogueVariantWilderness Rogue) variant from UA.

Dragonmuncher
2010-11-30, 06:11 PM
I'll also point out that they're SKILLS, and short of being a Diplomacy god, or something weird with Iajistu Focus (or however you spell it), it's not something you need to worry about as being unbalancing.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-30, 06:14 PM
Not unbalanced at all.

If your DM objects, bring out the venerable dragonwrought Kobolds. ;)

Now that just seems excessive don't you think?

Perhaps keep the Factotum in reserve, and then, barring that, the Kobolds.

Last Laugh
2010-11-30, 07:22 PM
Of interest for you might be the Wilderness Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogueVariantWilderness Rogue) variant from UA.

Yes, It is what you want, but some additional skill alterations. It also expands the rogues special abilities to include Camouflage and Hide in Plain Sight (ranger). Limited to natural terrain. Sad for being on a boat, rocks if you fall overboard.

Runestar
2010-11-30, 09:15 PM
Skills generally won't break the game. Ask your DM if he can simply add them as class skills. You still have to put ranks in them from your own pocket, so other skills invariably will suffer anyways.

Dragonmuncher
2010-12-01, 10:54 AM
Yeah, skill POINTS are the thing.

I'd go as far to say that you could give your guy every skill as a class skill, and it wouldn't make a difference. As long as your number of skill points stays the same, that is.