PDA

View Full Version : Iron Chef Rocks!

Kelb_Panthera
2010-11-30, 04:09 PM
I don't know if anybody else feels this way, but I really enjoy reading the Iron Chef Optimization Challenges posted here in the playground. You don't see a lot of practical optimization on these boards (a lot more theoretical stuff, or specific build advice,) so I really appreciate seeing how these Playgrounders put together practical, usable (mostly,) and powerful characters with some rather surprising classes. In my opinion this could help people learn to create powerful characters by example, which to me at least is more useful than asking for advice that isn't always helpful.

So if you enjoy and appreciate seeing these contests as much as I do, let the "Chefs" and their "Chairman" know. :biggrin:

SamsDisciple
2010-11-30, 07:04 PM
I completely agree to the big w00t to the iron chef contests. The main reason why I ever want to come to these forums is either to laugh at funny/ridiculous stories of my fellow gamers or to get some build help. The iron chef way has answered many of my questions before I even needed to ask.

Grynning
2010-12-01, 03:12 AM
If you like the contest, check out The Iron Chef in the Playground Thread of Contest Records (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177446) for all the winners, trivia, and more fun stuff.

Coidzor
2010-12-01, 03:25 AM
I haven't kept up with them and doubt that I'd ever get to the place where I'd feel right entering or judging, but I have had a lot of fun reading over the builds I have been exposed to, and some of them have had very, very fun fluff write ups. :smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2010-12-01, 03:32 AM
If you like the contest, check out The Iron Chef in the Playground Thread of Contest Records (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177446) for all the winners, trivia, and more fun stuff.

Thanks for the link! I discover the Iron Chef only recently, and this comes very handy.

true_shinken
2010-12-01, 03:22 PM
I haven't kept up with them and doubt that I'd ever get to the place where I'd feel right entering or judging, but I have had a lot of fun reading over the builds I have been exposed to, and some of them have had very, very fun fluff write ups. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, you should give it a try, Coidzor.
Also, I'm very moved by this thread. ^^

Cieyrin
2010-12-01, 03:42 PM

The judging isn't so bad, as long as you try to be consistent and fair across entries and stay level-headed when disputes come up about your judgings. It's fun in a work kind of way and can be quite rewarding in sharpening your own knowledge and skills. :smallsmile:

Otacon17
2010-12-01, 04:10 PM
I always feel a little bit sad when I see an IC thread, because I've only ever played 4e, so I know I wouldn't understand all the amazing characters chefs come up with. Still, though, it's a really, really cool idea, and I'm a little bit jealous that I don't have the knowledge/resources to enter myself. Maybe someday, I suppose :smallsmile:

true_shinken
2010-12-01, 04:12 PM
I always feel a little bit sad when I see an IC thread, because I've only ever played 4e, so I know I wouldn't understand all the amazing characters chefs come up with. Still, though, it's a really, really cool idea, and I'm a little bit jealous that I don't have the knowledge/resources to enter myself. Maybe someday, I suppose :smallsmile:

Well, if you have a bit of free time, you could always start with a read of the d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/). Our next secret ingredient will be a class you can find there. :smallcool:

OMG PONIES
2010-12-01, 04:17 PM
On behalf of all the chefs and judges, I thank you! Don't be silent spectators--feel free to comment in our threads, even if you're not entering or judging. A solid peanut gallery can always be fun. Also, don't feel like you don't know enough about optimization to enter; I've always considered myself rather green, but some of my builds have done pretty well.

Akal Saris
2010-12-01, 04:24 PM
Thanks Kelb, and to others as well! :smallbiggrin: I enjoy Iron Chef in the Playground quite a lot as well.

And who knows? Perhaps one day 4E will have its own Iron Chef competitions here as well. The sourcebooks are certainly growing quickly enough to allow for some unique builds.

On a sidenote, do any other gaming forums do 3.5 competitions regularly as well? BG has tried occasionally, but hasn't mustered a competition in a year or so.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-12-01, 04:25 PM
On behalf of all the chefs and judges, I thank you! Don't be silent spectators--feel free to comment in our threads, even if you're not entering or judging. A solid peanut gallery can always be fun. Also, don't feel like you don't know enough about optimization to enter; I've always considered myself rather green, but some of my builds have done pretty well.

This from a two-time gold winner.

Otacon17
2010-12-01, 04:36 PM
And who knows? Perhaps one day 4E will have its own Iron Chef competitions here as well. The sourcebooks are certainly growing quickly enough to allow for some unique builds.

I suppose it's a long-shot considering this is a predominantly 3.5 board, but if that day ever comes, I'll certainly be breaking out my books! :smallbiggrin:

Also, thanks for the link, shink!

Xiander
2010-12-01, 04:39 PM
I have been following the last two or three installments with interest. I am intrigued by the next secret ingreedient being from the DMG. Looking forward and contemplating taking part.

OMG PONIES
2010-12-01, 05:01 PM
This from a two-time gold winner.

Aw, shucks. :smallredface: I'm just trying to give Akal Saris a run for his money. Still, my point stands--my first entry wasn't so long ago (Round IX) and it came in fifth out of seven! Anyone can participate, and anyone can win. We're all at the mercy of the judges...

I have been following the last two or three installments with interest. I am intrigued by the next secret ingreedient being from the DMG. Looking forward and contemplating taking part.

Do it, Xiander, do it!

BG
2010-12-01, 05:11 PM
I also appreciate the IC stuff as a DM. Dulcinea with a few tweaks became a fantastic recurring antagonist, and you can bet that the next time I run a game, there'll be an interplaner Lucha Libre League featuring the reigning Gargantuan-Weight Champion.

true_shinken
2010-12-01, 05:16 PM
I also appreciate the IC stuff as a DM. Dulcinea with a few tweaks became a fantastic recurring antagonist, and you can bet that the next time I run a game, there'll be an interplaner Lucha Libre League featuring the reigning Gargantuan-Weight Champion.

Ultimo Tarrasco Jr is also one of my all-time favorites.

Amphetryon
2010-12-01, 11:12 PM

As I've said before, hearing that someone wants to use one of my meager creations in their campaign, whether as a BBEG or DMPC or protagonist, is the highest compliment I can envision from my fellow gamers at GitP. I, for one, am thankful for the input.

Akal Saris
2010-12-02, 12:29 AM
As I've said before, hearing that someone wants to use one of my meager creations in their campaign, whether as a BBEG or DMPC or protagonist, is the highest compliment I can envision from my fellow gamers at GitP. I, for one, am thankful for the input.

Well, one of your builds (Nicolo I believe) is also featured in my Poisons guide, if that's worth anything :smallbiggrin:

Amphetryon
2010-12-02, 06:56 AM
Well, one of your builds (Nicolo I believe) is also featured in my Poisons guide, if that's worth anything :smallbiggrin:

:smallbiggrin: Believe me, it is.

OMG PONIES
2010-12-02, 05:44 PM

As her creator, I am both humbled and pumped. I told my [non-nerdy] wife how excited this made me, and she just rolled her eyes. Can you PM me the tweaks you made (either crunch or fluff)? I'd love to see the new life she took on!

That's awesome.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-12-02, 06:13 PM
For those of you who've followed several contests now; which is your favorite build overall?

Cieyrin
2010-12-02, 06:31 PM
Despite how I graded it, Oduk the Fierce Fochlucan was decently written. With some polish, it would have worked wonderfully and I would totally do it up for a game at some point.