PDA

View Full Version : "Your Majesty" [Aristocrat PrC] (PEACH)

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-30, 05:32 PM
Sovereign

Pre-Reqs:
Class: Aristocrat 7
Feats: Landlord (Stronghold Builders Guide), Leadership

Hit Dice: d8
Class Skills: (4+Int Mod) Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (None), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Survival (Wis)

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+2|+2|+2|Kingdom/Empire/Republic, Sovereign's Advisor
2|+2|+3|+3|+3|Govern the Masses
3|+3|+3|+3|+3|Blessed/Cursed Sovereign (Friendly)
4|+4|+4|+4|+4|Sovereign's Advisor
5|+5|+4|+4|+4|Expanding Kingdom
6|+6|+5|+5|+5|Blessed/Cursed Sovereign (Helpful)
7|+7|+5|+5|+5|Sovereign's Advisor
8|+8|+6|+6|+6|
9|+9|+7|+7|+7|Blessed/Cursed Sovereign (Fanatical)
10|+10|+7|+7|+7|Supreme Authority, Sovereign's Advisor[/table]

*Special note: By taking their first level in this class the character's Followers are renamed Subjects (but are still treated as Followers and interact with all effects as if they were). They are now bound to the Sovereign through fealty, subjugation, loyalty etc. rather than admiration etc. They are considered to be a community and will react as such.

Class Features:

Kingdom/Empire/Republic (Ex): The Sovereign creates a city state around their stronghold. It is enough to adequately house all of their Subjects and contains all the usual amenities (tavern, school, prison, town hall, moderate fortifications etc.), and a maximum of 500 metres in every direction/Sovereign level of land/sea (unless your Stronghold moves, in which case this territory either floats or is attached in some way & only 50 metres in every direction, so that it moves too).

Sovereign's Advisor (Ex): At each level shown on the table above you gain one of the following archetypal Sovereign's assistants. They are treated as a Cohort except that they are of your Character Level -5, and may never take PrC levels.
Unlike most cohorts, Advisors may (and often do) take the Leadership Feat themselves: if they do their followers are lost and instead treated as the Sovereign's Subjects and they do not get a Cohort.
In exchange the Advisor receives the promise of a single favour from the Sovereign, that they must uphold to the best of their ability (reasonable limits will obviously apply: eg. the cannot ask the Sovereign to commit suicide and expect it to be upheld).
Bodyguard: The bodyguard is a loyal ally, ready to throw themself in front of a Disintegrate spell for their Lord. Whether they are a hulking axe-wielding show of strength, an royally-sanctioned assassin, a glorious knight etc. is up to the player.
- Bodyguard's may only have levels in Full BAB classes (eg. Fighter), Soulknife, Monk or Rogue.

Chancellor: The Chancellor is a wise and learned individual; the Sovereign's first port of call for anything beyond their knowledge, whether mundane or magical. They may be an ancient sage, a fresh faced young scholar or an impossibly talented street-ear; they always have an answer waiting.
- Chancellors must always take base classes that grant at least 6+Int Skill Points.

High Priest: The High Priest is the Sovereign's eyes and ears in the Godly Realms, as well as religious advisor and (at high levels) their insurance policy against enemies.
- High Priests must always take levels in classes that grant Divine spellcasting or Ardent Levels. In order to cast spells higher than 3rd level the the High Priest must either be within the Sovereign's Stronghold, or within 50ft of the Sovereign.

Court Magician: The Court Magician is the Sovereign's magical aid, bringing sense to the supernatural effects that flow through the world, as well as defending the Sovereign and their lands from them when necessary.
- Court Magicians must always take levels in classes that grant Arcane spellcasting, Psionic Manifesting (except Ardent) or Warlock. In order to cast spells higher than 3rd level the the Court Magician must either be within the Sovereign's Stronghold, or within 50ft of the Sovereign.

Govern The Masses (Ex): From now on the Sovereign's Leadership score is no longer affected by negative modifiers (pre-existing ones are removed) and they are considered to have all positive Leadership Score Modifiers.

Blessed/Cursed Sovereign (Ex): Thanks to either your reknowned benevolence, tyrannical dominance or shrewd diplomacy; from now on the Sovereign's Subjects, Cohort & Advisors are treated as the shown level of helpfulness to the Sovereign at all times.

Expanding Kingdom/Empire/Republic etc. (Ex): The Sovereign from now on receives twice the shown number of Followers at each level as Subjects.

Supreme Authority (Ex): At 10th level the Sovereign holds absolute control over their realm. They are telepathically connected to their Subjects & Advisors as long as they are in within their Stronghold or Kingdom/Empire/Republic, and their Cohort regardless of distance or being on a different Plane.
In addition they are aware of any living, dead, undead or immortal creature within their Stronghold & Kingdom/Empire/Republic and gain the insight of a status spell on them.

--------------------
Obviously stuff like Kingdom/Empire/Republic requires some DM discretion, but I tried to be as loose as possible.

I know full BAB & all good Saves is a bit much, but they're a King/Emperor/President; they need to be awesome (and you had to take a fair few NPC levels to get into it).

Thoughts?

K-B

gkathellar
2010-11-30, 05:45 PM
Wow, Sovereign's Advisor is even better than Thrallherd leadership. I count ... 1 cohort at level -3 for Leadership, 4 at level -4 for Sovereign's Advisor, and four more at level -5 is all your advisors have Leadership. So now you get to play ten characters.

Betropper
2010-11-30, 05:50 PM
Good idea, but 500 meters minumum for a city? Does that mean that he could have a kingdom containing the entire world?

hamishspence
2010-11-30, 05:52 PM
Archmage is an existing PRC- maybe "Court Magician" would be better?

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-30, 05:55 PM
Wow, Sovereign's Advisor is even better than Thrallherd leadership. I count ... 1 cohort at level -3 for Leadership, 4 at level -4 for Sovereign's Advisor, and four more at level -5 is all your advisors have Leadership. So now you get to play ten characters.

I almost made them only be allowed NPC classes. Should I add that in?

Archmage is an existing PRC- maybe "Court Magician" would be better?

I like it.

Good idea, but 500 meters minumum for a city? Does that mean that he could have a kingdom containing the entire world?

5km is the entire world? :smallconfused:

hamishspence
2010-11-30, 05:57 PM
Vizier might be a little too specific-sounding.

"Chancellor" could be more generic, possibly with each Advisor having several possible names depending on the culture, but a generic name as base.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-30, 06:00 PM
Vizier might be a little too specific-sounding.

"Chancellor" could be more generic, possibly with each Advisor having several possible names depending on the culture, but a generic name as base.

Also brill :smallsmile:

Should they be limited to NPC classes? Yes there's a lot of them but they suck. Maybe decrease their level, or surrender your Cohort for them?

Betropper
2010-11-30, 06:01 PM
I almost made them only be allowed NPC classes. Should I add that in?

I like it.

5km is the entire world? :smallconfused:

Nah, probably just a spelling mistake, but you said the MINIMUM of the city is 500 meters :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-30, 06:03 PM
Nah, probably just a spelling mistake, but you said the MINIMUM of the city is 500 meters :smalltongue:

<facepalm>

Fixed.

Jallorn
2010-11-30, 06:16 PM
Well. This isn't going to be helpful, and I apologize in advance.

I don't particularly like the idea of leadership, something which should really be fluff and not mechanics in my view, and this suffers from the same problems. Ultimately, I feel that most of what this gives should be under the purview of the DM. Especially since it seems intended primarily for NPCs.

Now for the kind-of-but-not-really-helpful part: If you want a PRC based on "being king" I'd advise reworking your idea to not use Leadership styled stuff. Instead, it should focus on what kinds of abilities a King might have. Diplomacy stuff and whatnot.

Ilmryn
2010-11-30, 06:28 PM
The advisor part needs a chance that the advisor is evil/plotting to take over the throne. Depending on the game, this will likely be oh around 99.99999% :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2010-11-30, 06:39 PM
The advisor part needs a chance that the advisor is evil/plotting to take over the throne. Depending on the game, this will likely be oh around 99.99999% :smallbiggrin:

That's why I suggested renaming it. Vizier (or Grand Vizier) have too many associations with this. Chancellor hasn't accumulated quite so many bad associations.

Lateral
2010-11-30, 07:26 PM
That's why I suggested renaming it. Vizier (or Grand Vizier) have too many associations with this. Chancellor hasn't accumulated quite so many bad associations.
*cough*Palpatine*cough*
*cough*Wormtongue*cough*

hamishspence
2010-12-01, 05:34 AM
Hence the "not quite so many"
Viziers have been generally depicted as evil since 1001 Nights.

Despite the name, Palpatine in his role of Supreme Chancellor, was not what is traditionally meant by a Chancellor- he was a ruler, not the ruler's advisor.

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-01, 05:44 AM
Well. This isn't going to be helpful, and I apologize in advance.

I don't particularly like the idea of leadership, something which should really be fluff and not mechanics in my view, and this suffers from the same problems. Ultimately, I feel that most of what this gives should be under the purview of the DM. Especially since it seems intended primarily for NPCs.

Now for the kind-of-but-not-really-helpful part: If you want a PRC based on "being king" I'd advise reworking your idea to not use Leadership styled stuff. Instead, it should focus on what kinds of abilities a King might have. Diplomacy stuff and whatnot.

I personally agree that Leadership shouldn't be mechanics, but I figured it was the best method for dealing with subjects.

I may make a variant Sovereign that doesn't use Leadership, anymore suggestions for abilities?

Jallorn
2010-12-01, 03:01 PM
I personally agree that Leadership shouldn't be mechanics, but I figured it was the best method for dealing with subjects.

I may make a variant Sovereign that doesn't use Leadership, anymore suggestions for abilities?

Well... something that buffs allies would be good. And debuffs enemies. Like an aura of royalty or something. You know, allies are emboldened by his presence, while enemies are intimidated.

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-05, 07:56 AM
For what it's worth I made the Advisors Level -5 and took away their cohorts in exchange for a favour from the Sovereign.

Cieyrin
2010-12-05, 05:26 PM
This so makes me think of Majesty. "If our kingdom is to prosper, we need more heroes!" indeed. :smallbiggrin: