PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade or Swordsage?

PanNarrans
2010-11-30, 05:55 PM
I'm trying to decide between Duskblade and Swordsage for my next character, Skych Mirasel. Which should I go for? Aiming to for a spiked chain tripper with some magical abilities for fun.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-30, 05:56 PM
I personally prefer the Swordsage, but your choice would depend on what you want to do. What sort of magical abilities do you want? What do you want to do, besides trip people with a spiked chain?

Greenish
2010-11-30, 06:10 PM
Both are fun, strong and make decent chain trippers with a helping of magic. If neither of them appeals to you more than the other, toss a coin. :smallcool:

Morbis Meh
2010-11-30, 06:22 PM
Well swordsages don't have to worry about silence since their maneuvers have no casting components. You don't need a high INT to be able to cast spells, but a relatively high WIS to add to your AC. The only real downside to a sword sage is the 3/4 BAB progression. I personally enjoy swordsage over duskblade though.

AslanCross
2010-11-30, 06:48 PM
The duskblade is more of a melee blaster. I think the swordsage will do a better job of doing control.

Vortling
2010-11-30, 06:53 PM
I vote swordsage. Trip focus works really well with Setting Sun.

vampire2948
2010-11-30, 07:01 PM
Both! Jade Phoenix Mage from the tome of battle would allow this, I think. Refluff for your campaign, maybe.

Vampire2948,

Last Laugh
2010-11-30, 07:18 PM
Both! Jade Phoenix Mage from the tome of battle would allow this, I think. Refluff for your campaign, maybe.

Vampire2948,

While this would be interesting, I think it would be largely underwhelming. Duskblades big deal is Channeling. So you would be able to use a strike, Or channel a spell. If a DM allowed you to channel into strikes than this would be much more powerful.

thorgrim29
2010-11-30, 07:35 PM
Jade phonix mage has an ability that's like arcane strike but better, and should therefore be usable with both arcane channelling and martial strikes.

Thurbane
2010-11-30, 07:38 PM
I vote Duskblade - spiked chain will be especially nice once he gets full attack channeling. :smallsmile:

Psyren
2010-11-30, 07:41 PM
Psychic Warrior :smalltongue:

PanNarrans
2010-11-30, 08:39 PM
Hmm... I think high Wis would be more fun than yet another Int based schemer (seriously I play too many of those) and Setting Sun maneuvers ARE awesome. Swordsage it is!

Corwin_of_Amber
2010-12-01, 02:01 PM
If your DM allows you to use Dex in place of Str for tripping when you have weapon finesse then I would go Swordsage with Weapon Finesse/Shadow Blade. This will allow you to focus on Dex for your AC while wearing light armor that lets you keep the mobility you need for positioning. I would also look into the Arms and Equipment Guide if you're very focused on Dex for the Bonded Leaf armor that has no max bonus.

Akal Saris
2010-12-01, 05:09 PM
For just a spiked chain tripper, I'd say duskblade will do it better.

Human Duskblade 3
1: Combat Expertise
1: Improved Trip
2B: Combat Casting
3: Knockdown

Every time you do more than 10 dmg in melee (pitifully easy with a spiked chain and a channeled shocking grasp), you'll trigger a trip attempt. Seems like a simple and strong combo.

Myth
2010-12-01, 07:49 PM
You could play with another weapon and not focus on tripping mind you. Personally I'd go for Swordsage, because for me the Duskblade is simply an inferior Spellsword.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-01, 09:08 PM
I like Duskblade more myself; its less outrightly powerful but it has some neat tricks (like the pouncing TWF with Vampiric Touch. Mmmmm, health.)

true_shinken
2010-12-01, 09:11 PM
I like Duskblade more myself; its less outrightly powerful but it has some neat tricks (like the pouncing TWF with Vampiric Touch. Mmmmm, health.)
Pouncing? A Duskblade could dual wield while arcane channeling (at level 13) but he certainly could not pounce while doing so.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-01, 09:15 PM
Pouncing? A Duskblade could dual wield while arcane channeling (at level 13) but he certainly could not pounce while doing so.

Why not? Surely he can take a single level dip like anyone else? And while it would take 14 levels to get there, you would be healing yourself for 7d6 for each hit, not bad.

true_shinken
2010-12-01, 09:16 PM
Why not? Surely he can take a single level dip like anyone else? And while it would take 14 levels to get there, you would be healing yourself for 7d6 for each hit, not bad.

Arcane channeling takes a full-round action. Charging takes a full-round action as well. Sadly, they can't be combined.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-01, 09:22 PM
Arcane channeling takes a full-round action. Charging takes a full-round action as well. Sadly, they can't be combined.

If Arcane channeling takes a full round action then how do you attack with it? Unless you somehow get a full attack within the Arcane Channeling rules or something. Seems worthless that way.

true_shinken
2010-12-01, 09:28 PM
If Arcane channeling takes a full round action then how do you attack with it? Unless you somehow get a full attack within the Arcane Channeling rules or something. Seems worthless that way.

Nevermind. You are correct. I always thought it worked that way, but now I actually read it and it just says you 'cast the spell as part of a full-attack action'. So if you do have pounce, it works. You take a full-round action for charge, which gives you a full attack action because of pounce and you proceed to cast a spell because of Duskblade.
Before level 13, though, Arcane Channeling is a standard action composed of spell + attack and can't be used with a charge.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-01, 09:30 PM
Nevermind. You are correct. I always thought it worked that way, but now I actually read it and it just says you 'cast the spell as part of a full-attack action'. So if you do have pounce, it works. You take a full-round action for charge, which gives you a full attack action because of pounce and you proceed to cast a spell because of Duskblade.
Before level 13, though, Arcane Channeling is a standard action composed of spell + attack and can't be used with a charge.

So my Vampiric Touch Charger is still a go :smallcool:

I always kinda think of Duskblade as a Rogue whose sneak attack doesn't need to actually catch them flatfooted to work.

Quietus
2010-12-01, 09:50 PM
While this would be interesting, I think it would be largely underwhelming. Duskblades big deal is Channeling. So you would be able to use a strike, Or channel a spell. If a DM allowed you to channel into strikes than this would be much more powerful.

Interestingly, warblade/duskblades could recover their maneuvers by hitting someone with a channeled spell..

Corwin_of_Amber
2010-12-01, 10:40 PM
Interestingly, warblade/duskblades could recover their maneuvers by hitting someone with a channeled spell..

Or, you could load up on counters/boosts and not worry about strikes/chaneling.