PDA

View Full Version : Sol Badguy Concept Challenge

ranger557
2010-11-30, 07:31 PM
I was thinking of character concepts and one came into mind of that of Sol badguy from Guilty Gear. What would he be in a dnd setting? Would he be a long living race? a magic sword user like a Warblade or Duskblade? What would be his classes and race? How would he be optimize to kick ass like a badass? Well Im just wondering what do you guys all think? :smallbiggrin:

Tael
2010-11-30, 07:36 PM
Gestalt Swordsage//Barbarian? I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure Swordsage gestalting with something full BAB would do it.

Tengu_temp
2010-11-30, 09:00 PM
Gestalt Swordsage//Barbarian? I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure Swordsage gestalting with something full BAB would do it.

This actually works very well. Funnily enough, Ragna the Bloodedge would work with the same build, just with different martial disciplines.

ranger557
2010-11-30, 10:18 PM
Yeah that sounds pretty good actually. That would make sense for him to be a barbarian because he goes all crazy and rages with power when he unleashes his Gear form lol. Also yeah, he would be a martial adept and definitely swordsage because of all the desert wind manuevers :smalltongue:.

But what would his race be? would he be human? or something that lives for a very long time, because he's about 100 years already and is suppose to be immortal, so.....a warforged with human skin? or an Elan?:smalltongue: What do you guys think?

Tengu_temp
2010-11-30, 10:28 PM
He's a human with some kind of acquired template that grants him longevity and massive power boost. Elan could work, except that they're not exactly known for their physical prowess.

Jallorn
2010-11-30, 10:50 PM
He's a human with some kind of acquired template that grants him longevity and massive power boost. Elan could work, except that they're not exactly known for their physical prowess.

Howsabout this template (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10265)?*

*I have had no knowledge of Guilty Gear before reading the OP of this thread.

ranger557
2010-12-01, 12:33 AM
Yeah i was looking for some templates that give him longer life or abilities, but there aren't really any in 3.5. Most likely he would be an Elan, even though its true that they don't have physical prowess. Sol badguy was the first gear, because he tested himself, and he became a badass with brains and brawn, lol. I like the template you offered Jallorn, it looks like it would work perfect, but in a game I think my DM wouldn't allow homebrew classes and templates lol.

Innis Cabal
2010-12-01, 12:34 AM
The thing is, Sol is a Gear. He knows and can use Magic up to the 8th Octave...he's not a pure melee person in the slightest. He's also a brilliant scientist among other things.

Zeofar
2010-12-01, 12:37 AM
Oh, wow, when I read the title I thought you wanted to make a badguy that was doomed to always lose.

Greymane
2010-12-01, 12:43 AM
Yeah i was looking for some templates that give him longer life or abilities, but there aren't really any in 3.5. Most likely he would be an Elan, even though its true that they don't have physical prowess. Sol badguy was the first gear, because he tested himself, and he became a badass with brains and brawn, lol. I like the template you offered Jallorn, it looks like it would work perfect, but in a game I think my DM wouldn't allow homebrew classes and templates lol.

When I statted him, I just made him a Warforged with the Troll-Blooded feat, which I thought represented being a Gear just fine. I refluffed both those things and yes, it's cheesey.

The thing is, Sol is a Gear. He knows and can use Magic up to the 8th Octave...he's not a pure melee person in the slightest. He's also a brilliant scientist among other things.

Harder to stat up... And he's pretty melee-focused in the games, so I justified making him pretty melee oriented that way. Besides, you could always give him a feat that grants some Knowledges as class skills and put a high number into Intelligence.

ranger557
2010-12-01, 01:32 AM

Yeah I totally agree with you, he is a badass. He is a scientist and was able to master bio-magic and became the first gear, and throughout the hundred years war he became an amazing fighter. However, of course this is DnD and we cant get every detail of him on paper, but we can get close i think, lol :smalltongue:.

Also, Genn Greymane that is an interesting build, to have him as a warforged with troll-blooded feat. It sounds good, but he would look to robotic to me than human. I would think of him as a barbarian/swordsage or if gestalt, a swordsage//warblade and his race would be Elan because of the long life. However, if i look at a standpoint the class and race still don't fit him huh? lol

Greymane
2010-12-01, 04:37 AM
Also, Genn Greymane that is an interesting build, to have him as a warforged with troll-blooded feat. It sounds good, but he would look to robotic to me than human. I would think of him as a barbarian/swordsage or if gestalt, a swordsage//warblade and his race would be Elan because of the long life. However, if i look at a standpoint the class and race still don't fit him huh? lol

Just change the fluff. He doesn't necessarily have to look like a robot. You can just say he looks like a normal human (save for that Gear mark on his forehead). Mechanically, however, he has the racial attributes of a Warforged. Works fine in my experience.

Warforged works because then he never gets tired, is essentially immortal, and gets to heal because Troll-Blooded gives fast healing. I could see a sane DM saying "Haha no, you're a robot, so you can't have troll blood" though. Win some lose some.

Unless you have a DM who dictates what your character looks like, then I can't help you. :smalltongue:

I second the Swordsage//Barbarian thing as well, though. Like it was mentioned earlier, I did that for Ragna the Bloodedge too. Sol just focuses on Desert Wind, and I gave Ragna a Crusader dip so he could 'leech life' with Crusader Strike and its ilk.

ranger557
2010-12-02, 03:07 AM
Just change the fluff. He doesn't necessarily have to look like a robot. You can just say he looks like a normal human (save for that Gear mark on his forehead). Mechanically, however, he has the racial attributes of a Warforged. Works fine in my experience.

Warforged works because then he never gets tired, is essentially immortal, and gets to heal because Troll-Blooded gives fast healing. I could see a sane DM saying "Haha no, you're a robot, so you can't have troll blood" though. Win some lose some.

Unless you have a DM who dictates what your character looks like, then I can't help you. :smalltongue:

I second the Swordsage//Barbarian thing as well, though. Like it was mentioned earlier, I did that for Ragna the Bloodedge too. Sol just focuses on Desert Wind, and I gave Ragna a Crusader dip so he could 'leech life' with Crusader Strike and its ilk.

What you just said sir, definitely makes sense and could be very fun. If that's the case for him to be a warforged barbarian//swordsage, how would you build that?

For sure he would focus on Desert Wind techniques and for the barbarian side, would he go frenzied berserker? Also what feats would he get? Would he get unarmored body because he looks human, also maybe the combat focus tree to help him with his will saves if he goes frenzied. How about improved unarmed strike with superior unarmed strike, because some of his moves he just kicks ass and punches people. What do you all think? :smallbiggrin:

ranger557
2010-12-06, 05:30 PM
anybody got any thoughts on this?

AslanCross
2010-12-06, 06:06 PM
I thought many of the Desert Wind maneuvers really fit Sol's moves, but he could also have some Stone Dragon and Setting Sun maneuvers to fit his "I punch you hard" and "I throw you hard" maneuvers.

Searing Charge: Tyrant Rave Alpha
Death Mark: Tyrant Rave Beta

The barbarian rage plus Burning Blade or Searing Blade could be Dragon Install.

ranger557
2010-12-07, 08:10 AM
I thought many of the Desert Wind maneuvers really fit Sol's moves, but he could also have some Stone Dragon and Setting Sun maneuvers to fit his "I punch you hard" and "I throw you hard" maneuvers.

Searing Charge: Tyrant Rave Alpha
Death Mark: Tyrant Rave Beta

The barbarian rage plus Burning Blade or Searing Blade could be Dragon Install.

Yeah Indeed dude, the Desert Wind is his discipline. I would definitely agree that he would use some Setting Sun or Stone dragon to show his intelligence and toughness. Also I was thinking he might use Diamond Mind because he is a scientist and can use his mind to attack his opponents, lol. I was thinking of his stats and if we used 42 point buy, I was thinking it would be this. What do you all think?

str: 16
dex: 16
con: 14 +2 = 16
int: 14
wis: 16 -2 = 14
cha: 8 -2 = 6

ranger557
2010-12-08, 12:44 AM
Does anybody think these stats justify Sol Badguy as how he would be portrayed in DnD?