PDA

View Full Version : Factotum/Chameleon?

Black_Zawisza
2010-11-30, 07:52 PM
I'm trying to decide if I should go Factotum 8/Chameleon 10/Something 2(suggestions?) or just straight Factotum 20. What do you guys think?

Here's a link if you're not familiar with the Chameleon...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rdtAnBSmd2AJ:www.wizards.com/default.asp%3Fx%3Ddnd/iw/20041210b+chameleon+prestige+class&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

Thurbane
2010-11-30, 08:07 PM
If you're going for flexibility, you could throw a couple of levels of Binder on the end...

HunterOfJello
2010-11-30, 08:26 PM
Don't forget about Master of the Masks to be able to create a gladiator mask. Then you'll gain proficiency with all exotic weapons.

Factotum 19/ Master of the Masks 1 is an amazing build.
~

I would prefer to go the Chameleon route for a character. In general, you're going to be better off, in the end, with the spell progression of the Chameleon compared to the progression of the factotum. The chameleon gets a lot more for its 10 levels than the factotum.

By leaving the factotum class you are losing out on 2 skill points per level, every class skill ever (forgot about able learner), Cunning Breach to destroy an enemy's SR, bonus inspiration points, getting to play a race other than human or changeling and the fun of playing a non-spellcaster that acts like a spellcaster half the time.

JaronK
2010-11-30, 09:04 PM
Honestly, I don't like Factotum/Chameleon. If you compare the two, straight Factotum ends up being better at the vast majority of levels. Here's the basic reason why.

First off, the really big money Factotum ability is gained at level 8, especially if you want to use any spellcasting. If you weren't getting that ability, you probably should have gone with a different base class anyway. So compare Factotum 8/Chameleon X with Factotum 8+X, but note that at every level before 9 you were a bit weaker if you were going into Chameleon, because you had to take the worthless Able Learner feat (worthless for a Factotum). You also had to be Human or Changeling, even though the best Factotum race is generally Whispergnome, but some folks would chose Human anyway so it's not that bad.

Notice it takes a bit before Chameleon is actually casting higher level spells than the pure Factotum. At that point, Factotum/Chameleon is finally better... but then the moment we hit level 19, the pure Factotum is completely better again (due to the awesomeness that is that ability). So there's this tiny little level range where it's better, but most of the time it's worse.

My advice: If you want Factotum, either go pure Factotum, or pure Factotum with a two level dip into Unarmed Swordsage (taken late enough to get at least second level maneuvers) and a one level dip into Mindbender (Mindsight!). If you want Chameleon, enter with Binder (vestiges are awesome) or a series of one level martial adept dips (or maybe both), perhaps even with a first level Rogue dip, and consider making use of Bloodlines (since Chameleon caster level is based on twice your chameleon level).

JaronK

Schylerwalker
2010-12-01, 04:19 PM
In one of the campaigns I ran that's currently on hiatus, one of the players (Who's also on these forums, actually), ran a Changeling Factotum/Chameleon to surprisingly good effect. I believe he planned on dipping into at least one level of Warblade for the proficiencies, and because he had a high Intelligence (And a brilliant energy longsword).

HunterOfJello
2010-12-01, 05:01 PM
Warblade would definitely be a strong dip at the end of Factotum 8/Chameleon 10. Swordsage 2 would probably be even better though since you'd be able to grab several strong maneuvers of high levels, along with a high level stance. (The first stance obtained from any ToB class must be a 1st level stance.)

WinceRind
2010-12-01, 05:18 PM
Warblade would definitely be a strong dip at the end of Factotum 8/Chameleon 10. Swordsage 2 would probably be even better though since you'd be able to grab several strong maneuvers of high levels, along with a high level stance. (The first stance obtained from any ToB class must be a 1st level stance.)

But Warblades have a better way to recharge maneuvers. Swift action to recharge all is better then full round action to recharge one, although I'm a bit hazy on that. Not to mention, if you're taking it that late your total initiator level might even let you get the dreaded ' surge.

JerichoPenumbra
2010-12-01, 10:19 PM
In one of the campaigns I ran that's currently on hiatus, one of the players (Who's also on these forums, actually), ran a Changeling Factotum/Chameleon to surprisingly good effect. I believe he planned on dipping into at least one level of Warblade for the proficiencies, and because he had a high Intelligence (And a brilliant energy longsword).

He's actually a Rogue/Chameleon, but I did wish at times that he was a Factotum.

Black_Zawisza
2010-12-02, 06:23 PM
Bit off topic here, but assuming that one goes Factotum 20, and they can start at L1 with 18 INT (+4), putting each ability increase every four levels in INT (20 INT at L8, 22 INT at L16), and considering that you can take Font of Inspiration as many times as your INT modifier, how many times should it be taken? I was thinking I would want to take it all six times, but I think at that point there's a potential for wasting Inspiration points; at L16, one would start each encounter with 28 points.

FMArthur
2010-12-02, 07:22 PM
After hitting Factotum 8 you really should be able to put most if not all of your IPs to use in an encounter. If you really want to nova you do it in one turn. You spend them to guard, to hit, to damage, to cast spells, and to get more actions so that you can spend more IPs boosting those actions. There just isn't any amount of FoIs that becomes wasteful; in fact they get progressively less wasteful as you take more of them.

Schylerwalker
2010-12-06, 09:38 PM
He's actually a Rogue/Chameleon, but I did wish at times that he was a Factotum.

*Facepalm*

That's right, my apologies JP. It's just, with all the Chameleon stuff, he does seem an awful lot LIKE a Factotum, doesn't he? Probably more damage output from the sneak attack, though.