PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Assassin to Pathfinder Conversion

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-11-30, 07:57 PM
One of the guys in my group wants to play prestige into Assassin for flavor, but where as the 3.5 DMG assassin was a bit weak, the pathfinder assassin is even more so. Plus, he likes the flavor of a somewhat magical assassin.

How would one convert the 3.5 DMG assassin to pathfinder? any changes at all?

Susano-wo
2010-11-30, 08:19 PM
I beleive there was a previous pathfinder assassin thread (I can't rememebr if I started it or only participated...), and the general consensus is that though the PF assassin adds some awesome new abilities, they are still mostly tied to the death attack, which is only situationally useful, so just tacking on the spellcasting from the 3.5 assassin is perfectly fine

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-11-30, 08:39 PM
Yeah. I saw that thread, but I believe the DM is thinking a "one or the other" sort of situation. better to err on the side of caution, I guess? *shrug*
so, should I tell my buddy to just up the HD,to a d8, or...? anything else?

Mojo_Rat
2010-11-30, 09:13 PM
im curious why the PF assassin is considered weak? admitedly some of the abilities are better for NPC's but that doesnt nececarily make it weak jus tnot the best for PC's.

when i looked at it it struck me as a better class than the 3.5 one.

WarKitty
2010-11-30, 09:18 PM
One conversion guide from 3.5 to Pathfinder, free from Paizo. (http://paizo.com/store/downloads/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy89m6&source=search)

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-11-30, 09:18 PM
it is generally considering weaker because a lot of the abilities are geared towards making people expensive, but no impossible to raise from the dead... something that would hurt a party, but not a recurring NPC. also, the spells from the 3.5 assassin are better (especially when taking into account the Spells compendium book) than alot of the largely useless abilities that the pathfinder Assassin has.. the only two which are terribly useful are the Siletn Death and Swift Death...

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-11-30, 09:22 PM
you know what... I had that conversion guide hidden on my computer, and an account with Paizo with which to download as many free copies with it as I would like... wow. that's vaguely embarrassing. :redface:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-30, 10:24 PM
There is also the Red Mantis assassin which has spellcasting IIRC, so might be interesting to check that... I forgot where it comes from, though.

Mongoose87
2010-11-30, 10:28 PM
There is also the Red Mantis assassin which has spellcasting IIRC, so might be interesting to check that... I forgot where it comes from, though.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/red-mantis-assassin

IMHO, it is superior in almost every way. more skill points, another good save, spells; it's quite the package.

Susano-wo
2010-11-30, 10:30 PM
I don't see how the conversion guide helps for adjusting the Assassin?

anyway, I guess if the DM won't give both, perhaps trade off some abilities to get spellcasting? I made one that did that...I'll try to post what we swapped around for it when I get hom and have my sheet

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-30, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the link mongoose

WarKitty
2010-11-30, 10:55 PM
I don't see how the conversion guide helps for adjusting the Assassin?

anyway, I guess if the DM won't give both, perhaps trade off some abilities to get spellcasting? I made one that did that...I'll try to post what we swapped around for it when I get hom and have my sheet

There's basic prestige class conversion rules in there.