PDA

View Full Version : Pacifist (3.5 PRC)

Jallorn
2010-11-30, 08:55 PM
Pacifist

The Pacifist is a person who has studied combat. He knows, both intuitively and intellectually, the flow of battle, of violence, and he uses this knowledge, not to propagate conflict, but to ease it. A firm believer in peace, the pacifist knows enough about combat to stand up to warriors, and win without throwing a punch.

Requirements:
Cunning Defense
Flurry of Blows
BAB: +3
Any Non-Evil

HD: d10
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2|Clever Defense, Continued Discipline

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Turn the Violence, Bonus Feat, Strong Heart

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Evasion, Uncanny Dodge

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Call of Peace, Improved Turn the Violence

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Defensive Roll, Aura of Peace[/table]

Skills: Balance, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Heal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Local), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Sense Motive, Spot, Tumble
Skill Points: 4+Int modifier

Proficiencies: The Pacifist does not gain any new proficiencies.

Clever Defense: The first thing a Pacifist learns is the best way to avoid being hit. As long as a Pacifist wears no armor, he gains his Int modifier to AC as an insight bonus.

Continued Discipline: Levels of Pacifist stack with Monk levels for determining AC bonus, Unarmored Speed bonus, and Slow Fall distance. If the Pacifist has no levels in Monk, he gains only the AC bonus and Unarmored Speed bonus, and does not gain Wis to AC. Levels in Pacifist also stack with Factotum levels for Inspiration Points. He is also not barred from continuing progression in the Monk class for taking levels of Pacifist or Factotum. At fifth level, Factotum levels and Monk levels also stack with each other to determine AC bonus, Unarmored Speed bonus, Slow Fall distance, and Inspiration Points.

Turn the Violence: At second level, the Pacifist learns the trick to using their opponent's attacks against them. Any time an opponent attacks the Pacifist with a melee attack and misses, the Pacifist may choose to deal nonlethal damage equal to the damage the attack would have done. He can also make a trip attempt that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If the Pacifist fails the trip attempt, the target does not get to try to make one.

Bonus Feat: At second level the Pacifist gains Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat, even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites. If he already has Deflect Arrows he gets Snatch Arrows instead.

Strong Heart:At second level, the Pacifist has such faith that he can no longer be intimidated. This confidence can also have an impression on those around him. He becomes immune to fear effects, and allies within line of sight gain +2 to Will saves against fear effects.

Evasion: At third level, the Pacifist gains Evasion. If he already has Evasion, he instead gains Improved Evasion.

Uncanny Dodge: At third level, the Pacifist gains Uncanny Dodge. If he already has Uncanny Dodge from another class, it becomes Improved Uncanny Dodge.

Call of Peace: As a full round action at fourth level, the Pacifist can make an impassioned speech about violence and peace. All creatures who can hear the Pacifist must make a will save opposed by the Pacifist's Diplomacy check+Int modifier or make no agressive action for a number of rounds equal to the Pacifist's Wis modifier. If the target is attacked during the duration he breaks free of it's effects. Certain actions may allow a second Will save, at the DM's discretion. He may use this ability a number of times per day equal to his Wis modifier or his Int modifier, whichever is higher. He may also spend an Inspiration Point to use this ability an additional time. Inspiration Points spent this way may not be recovered for 24 hours or until the Pacifist rests.

Improved Turn the Violence: At fourth level, a Pacifist may even turn the attacks of an enemy against another creature. When using Turn the Violence, he may choose to deal the damage to a creature within his range or the attacker's range instead of the attacker. If he does this and then makes a trip attempt, he makes two trip attempts, one against each target. If both targets are tripped, they both take an additional 1d6 nonlethal damage.

Defensive Roll: At fifth level, a Pacifist gains Defensive Roll, as the Rogue ability.

Aura of Peace: A Pacifist who reaches fifth level has a perfect air of peace. Simply walking into a room is often enough to inspire a sense of calm in people. At fifth level, a Pacifist radiates calm, granting +2 to Will saves to all creatures within line of sight to him. This stacks with the bonus against fear from Strong Heart. He also gains the ability to create an antimagic aura which stops all spells that adversely effect a creature from being cast. It doesn't disrupt spells already in progress, but it does lessen their effect, causing them to deal half damage if they deal damage. He may manifest this aura a number of rounds per day equal to his Int modifier+his Wis modifier. These rounds do not need to be consecutive. He may also spend an Inspiration Point to add an additional round. He may not recover Inspiration Points spent this way for 24 hours.

Ex-Pacifists
A Pacifist who intentionally causes lethal damage when there is another option or uses excessive violence (causing massive damage without using Turn the Violence) against any creature other than constructs (except living constructs), animals, or unintelligent undead cannot gain any further levels of Pacifist until he comes to terms with his actions (Atonement-style quest). He also cannot use Aura of Peace or Call of Peace. He retains all other class abilities, skills, and save bonuses.
~~~~~~~~~

Finished, I guess. I'm not entirely sure about the balance of the class, but then, that's why I posted it here. :smallwink:

This class started when I was looking over some of the contest threads. I was going to enter one with an idea of Factotum crossed with something... then I realized the deadline was yesterday. Heh. Anyway, the idea wouldn't go away, so I came up with this while watching an episode of Justice League Unlimited, Hawk and Dove. This guy has a very Judo-like combat style, as befits a Pacifist who enters combat. I intend to make the capstone something nice enough that if you're deprived of it, it hurts enough to keep people from simply taking the class and then dropping the pacifism. Yes I know that people who intend to do that will likely just not take the last level then. I'm okay with that.

Jallorn
2010-11-30, 10:40 PM
Finished. Considering increasing the Skill Points.

Tanuki Tales
2010-11-30, 11:42 PM
You forgot to do its BAB progression.

Jallorn
2010-11-30, 11:45 PM
No, he doesn't get any improvements to his BAB. Although thinking it over, this might not be a good idea.

Zom B
2010-11-30, 11:49 PM
I almost feel like Vow of Nonviolence and/or Vow of Peace should be a prereq.

Jallorn
2010-11-30, 11:50 PM

Nah, just an optional bonus.

Vaynor
2010-11-30, 11:50 PM
No, he doesn't get any improvements to his BAB. Although thinking it over, this might not be a good idea.

Characters need to make attack rolls for more than just attacking living things (objects and the like).

Temotei
2010-11-30, 11:55 PM
Giving a "bad" (+0, +1, +1, +2, +2) base attack bonus progression would work just fine. Even a "medium" (+0, +1, +2, +3, +3) progression would probably work.

Consider, too, that tripping requires an attack roll.

Jallorn
2010-12-01, 12:05 AM
Gave him an average BAB.

Glimbur
2010-12-01, 10:53 AM
This doesn't have any way to stop violence at the first level. Turn the Violence seems to be against the theme... you don't like violence or hurting people but non-lethal damage is a-ok. Deflect/Snatch Arrows is there because you can only Turn melee attacks, right? I'd like to see Call of Peace at the first level of this class, and progress it from there.

Ok, so really I'm so critical because I did a class like this already. Feel free to loot it, it's the Apostate Sword in my extended signature

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-05, 01:05 PM
I've sat on this for a while, reviewed and broken down the class in my head, so here's my point by point PEACH.

Pacifist

The Pacifist is a person who has studied combat. He knows, both intuitively and intellectually, the flow of battle, of violence, and he uses this knowledge, not to propagate conflict, but to ease it. A firm believer in peace, the pacifist knows enough about combat to stand up to warriors, and win without throwing a punch.

Requirements:
Cunning Defense
Flurry of Blows
BAB: +3
Any Non-Evil

Okay, so you need to be a monk and factotum to be a pacifist? Well that or an Exotic Weapon Master and factotum, but I'd guess that's hardly the point. I don't know, it just doesn't seem to be a class that needs you to spend years learning to turn your body into a weapon and vessel of ki to use. What about the rogues who don't want to hurt people, the clerics sworn not to shed blood, even the fighters tired of the slaughter? I would suggest Vow of Non-Violence, but that requires being exalted, so perhaps the feat Subduing Strike (from BoED, but not an exalted feat)?

HD: d10
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2|Clever Defense, Continued Discipline

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Turn the Violence, Bonus Feat, Strong Heart

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Evasion, Uncanny Dodge

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Call of Peace, Improved Turn the Violence

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Defensive Roll, Aura of Peace[/table]

Skills: Balance, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Heal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Local), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Sense Motive, Spot, Tumble
Skill Points: 4+Int modifier

Okay, so it's a five level class that gives improvement on hit dice to monks. Nothing else improves for the monk, but that's not saying much, since you can't improve the monk's saves and a good BAB would be out of place.

Proficiencies: The Pacifist does not gain any new proficiencies.

Clever Defense: The first thing a Pacifist learns is the best way to avoid being hit. As long as a Pacifist wears no armor, he gains his Int modifier to AC as an insight bonus.

Okay, so it's a Kung-Fu Genius feat, but you get to keep your Wis to AC as a monk? Decent.

Continued Discipline: Levels of Pacifist stack with Monk levels for determining AC bonus, Unarmored Speed bonus, and Slow Fall distance. If the Pacifist has no levels in Monk, he gains only the AC bonus and Unarmored Speed bonus, and does not gain Wis to AC. Levels in Pacifist also stack with Factotum levels for Inspiration Points. He is also not barred from continuing progression in the Monk class for taking levels of Pacifist or Factotum. At fifth level, Factotum levels and Monk levels also stack with each other to determine AC bonus, Unarmored Speed bonus, Slow Fall distance, and Inspiration Points.

Okay, so it's a normal monk class, but also a class that advances factotum, but also a feat like Ascetic Stalker (let's call it Inspired Ascetic). Not overly powerful really, and provides many options with the inspiration points to allow the pacifist other ways to end the combat by boosting attacks for subdual and such.

Turn the Violence: At second level, the Pacifist learns the trick to using their opponent's attacks against them. Any time an opponent attacks the Pacifist with a melee attack and misses, the Pacifist may choose to deal nonlethal damage equal to the damage the attack would have done. He can also make a trip attempt that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If the Pacifist fails the trip attempt, the target does not get to try to make one.

Wouldn't this be better served by not dealing direct damage, missing causes fatigue or stunning or some status effect? Seems unlikely someone called the pacifist would punch a person who punched them, or make them hit themsleves or whatever this represents.

Bonus Feat: At second level the Pacifist gains Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat, even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites. If he already has Deflect Arrows he gets Snatch Arrows instead.

Nothing to see here, really fairly middle road, carries the concept.

Strong Heart:At second level, the Pacifist has such faith that he can no longer be intimidated. This confidence can also have an impression on those around him. He becomes immune to fear effects, and allies within line of sight gain +2 to Will saves against fear effects.

So it's a half strength aura of courage? Why not just give this class aura of courage, or at least up the bonus to +4. This class gets this ability at 7th character level (If I recall when you get Cunning Defense) a good four levels after paladin!

Evasion: At third level, the Pacifist gains Evasion. If he already has Evasion, he instead gains Improved Evasion.

Again, pretty standard for a monk prestige class. Good though.

Uncanny Dodge: At third level, the Pacifist gains Uncanny Dodge. If he already has Uncanny Dodge from another class, it becomes Improved Uncanny Dodge.

See my notes on Evasion.

Call of Peace: As a full round action at fourth level, the Pacifist can make an impassioned speech about violence and peace. All creatures who can hear the Pacifist must make a will save opposed by the Pacifist's Diplomacy check+Int modifier or make no action for a number of rounds equal to the Pacifist's Wis modifier. If the target is attacked during the duration he breaks free of it's effects. Certain actions may allow a second Will save, at the DM's discretion. He may use this ability a number of times per day equal to his Wis modifier or his Int modifier, whichever is higher. He may also spend an Inspiration Point to use this ability an additional time. Inspiration Points spent this way may not be recovered for 24 hours or until the Pacifist rests.

Take no actions? So the pacifist is making them catatonic? What about just making them fascinated, so you have a status effect to work off of? Having something concrete to base the ability on can only help.

Improved Turn the Violence: At fourth level, a Pacifist may even turn the attacks of an enemy against another creature. When using Turn the Violence, he may choose to deal the damage to a creature within his range or the attacker's range instead of the attacker. If he does this and then makes a trip attempt, he makes two trip attempts, one against each target. If both targets are tripped, they both take an additional 1d6 nonlethal damage.

Well, whatever sense Turn Violence made to the concept sort of goes out the window here. You deflect an attack to hit someone else? That sounds sadistic and violent, not peaceful. I've seen this sort of a ability one other place, the Disciple of Mammon (BoVD), and it represents their cowardice, not any sort of peacefulness. Again, status effects would be less violent and more in keeping with the concept.

Defensive Roll: At fifth level, a Pacifist gains Defensive Roll, as the Rogue ability.

Good ability, suits the concept.

Aura of Peace: A Pacifist who reaches fifth level has a perfect air of peace. Simply walking into a room is often enough to inspire a sense of calm in people. At fifth level, a Pacifist radiates calm, granting +2 to Will saves to all creatures within line of sight to him. This stacks with the bonus against fear from Strong Heart. He also gains the ability to create an antimagic aura which stops all spells that adversely effect a creature from being cast. It doesn't disrupt spells already in progress, but it does lessen their effect, causing them to deal half damage if they deal damage. He may manifest this aura a number of rounds per day equal to his Int modifier+his Wis modifier. These rounds do not need to be consecutive. He may also spend an Inspiration Point to add an additional round. He may not recover Inspiration Points spent this way for 24 hours.

This is very powerful. I'm glad it is limited in time. With said limit, it doesn't seem too bad. Good work!

Jallorn
2010-12-05, 01:43 PM
Turn the Violence is based off of the Judo action of dodging a blow and then using it to pull your opponent off balance. I made it do damage (specifically nonlethal) because I felt that otherwise the class wouldn't be able to do anything other than dodge.

I'll look into improving Strong Heart.

You're right about Call of Peace. It should be that he can't take aggressive combat actions or something similar. I'll look into an established status condition.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-05, 02:32 PM
Turn the Violence is based off of the Judo action of dodging a blow and then using it to pull your opponent off balance. I made it do damage (specifically nonlethal) because I felt that otherwise the class wouldn't be able to do anything other than dodge.

I'm familiar with soft-style martial arts, but this could be accomplished with the Defensive Throw feat from Complete Warrior. Perhaps give it as a bonus feat and give the character something else to do at that level, with an improvement at 5th.

Pyromancer999
2010-12-06, 02:50 PM

If you want a PrC with those as prereqs, check out the Book of Exalted Deeds for the Apostle of Peace. The fluff is similar to this class, except it's less combat-y.