PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Flavor Decisions?

Doughnut Master
2010-11-30, 09:57 PM
It may not be optimal. It may not be advisable. But who cares? It's fun.

Right now I'm early on in my first-ever campaign. We have a pretty fun casual group, and our DM is pretty easy going. I'm playing a half-orc LE Monk (multiclassing as a Barbarian later). Needless to say, he's slightly...off.

Two fun character quirks so far.
-Picked up Skill (Taxidermy) to make trophies out of fallen foes. Right now, working on turning the femur of a giant into a stylish walking-stick.

-Every morning, as soon as day breaks, he flays himself for 1d4 damage. I think it's pretty bamf. Although, after one encounter, it came back to bite me. We were all level 2, and we were attacking a camp populated by Gnolls and Bugbears at 4am. Bugbear leader crushed my character's head with a club and brought him to -9 (second time that'd happened in this adventure), but he lived. Party cleric brought him back to 0 hp.

He opens his eyes, notices the morning rays peaking over the horizon, gets up, staggers off to the edge of the clearing, and flays himself unconscious. Cleric sighs, drags him back and patches him up again. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

So, what are your favorite, possibly ill-conceived flavor decisions?

Morbis Meh
2010-11-30, 11:31 PM
My first character was a dual Dwaraxe fighter that had a crap ton of ranks in jump so I could effectively use leap attack. I thought it would be hilarious to have a dwarven fighter jumping around.

Halae
2010-11-30, 11:36 PM
Half-dragons. In 3.5 they have so much potential! the only real problem with them is that the template itself is rather sucky. Doesn't stop me from playing them quite a bit, though, though I can usually talk the DM into letting me trade my breath weapon for a decreased LA. I particularly like how everything goes when they finally meet their dragon parent

Gensh
2010-11-30, 11:41 PM
The first three sessions I played my current human warlock in, he was completely naked. Even when on top of an iceberg. The same week he finally got clothes (stole them off a zombie), I joined a second game with a warforged warlock (I really didn't want to do warlock, but I was AFB at the time and nothing else fit the concept off the top of my head). Less than half an hour into this game, and my deliberately heavily clothed character was naked.

rubycona
2010-12-01, 12:05 AM
I absolutely love playing an intelligent fool. Clever, but prone to really stupid decisions, being impulsive... like saying, ah, choice words to anyone who thinks they're better than her (the king, for example XD)

My god does it get my character into so much trouble. In my present game, I'm "supposed" to be immune to death punishments, barring extreme circumstances, until I come of age... and there's a running bet, nearly 200 NPCs, betting that I won't make it to my next birthday. *chuckles wryly* It was my fellow PC that started the betting.

So much fun. Yeah, I suspect they may win that bet, but you know what? I am having an absolute blast.

Doughnut Master
2010-12-01, 11:49 AM
My first character was a dual Dwaraxe fighter that had a crap ton of ranks in jump so I could effectively use leap attack. I thought it would be hilarious to have a dwarven fighter jumping around.

That sounds pretty awesome to me. How'd it work out?

SamsDisciple
2010-12-01, 12:33 PM
Simply put. Skydiving dwarf ... I don't remember where it was from but there was a specific prestige class for griffin riding dwarves and it was a blast to skydive in, do a heck of a lot of damage, then fly out on my griffin. it was not optimal, but it was funny to think about a flying dwarf.

DisgruntledDM
2010-12-01, 12:57 PM
I once created an insane ranger named "War Tony". I remember walking into a store, grabbing items off the shelves willy nilly and then asking, "Do you have a cure for kleptomania?"

Morbis Meh
2010-12-01, 01:14 PM
That sounds pretty awesome to me. How'd it work out?

Lol Ein was amazing he was the scourge of the Orcs! Our DM decided to run a really high magic campaign so he basically gestalted our Char's with sorcerers so I would spam jump so I never had any problems jumping. His crowning achievement was almost single handedly wiping our an Orc fortress. Since most of the orcs were weak I would destroy hordes of them with great cleave. I dearly miss Ein....

Greenish
2010-12-01, 01:17 PM
Two fun character quirks so far.
-Picked up Skill (Taxidermy) to make trophies out of fallen foes. Right now, working on turning the femur of a giant into a stylish walking-stick. There's a feat for that, Trophy Collector from PHBII.

Doughnut Master
2010-12-01, 02:17 PM
There's a feat for that, Trophy Collector from PHBII.

Interesting. Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough feats to spare for this. Besides, I just make these items for fun, and possibly as gifts. Christmas is coming after all...

Greenish
2010-12-01, 04:36 PM
Something like this?

http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardscans/MAGWEA/fit_of_rage.jpg
Or this: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cx_gallery/86367.jpg

Silus
2010-12-01, 04:37 PM
12-year-old Human Paladin that had grown up in the church's militant order.

Wreckin' face with a Blue Ice Greatsword as big as she was.

Morbis Meh
2010-12-01, 04:40 PM
Or this: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cx_gallery/86367.jpg

Something like that except only male with a beard and a bald head in heavy armor. If I only knew then what I know now I would have at least given him travel devotion so he could use both axes when attacking...

dsmiles
2010-12-01, 05:19 PM
Pistachio pistachio (Ben & Jerry's :smallbiggrin:). Or perhaps my possessed Warlock/Sorcerer, or my 1/2 Orc Paragon/Human Paragon/Reaping Mauler/Chaos Monk. I just can't decide...

Tvtyrant
2010-12-01, 07:15 PM
Blasty Cleric using Fire and Destruction Domains. He was a reasonably good blaster, but as we know that role isn't great to begin with. I loved standing in plate and a tower shield with my right hand open and casting Disintegrate.

TKB
2010-12-01, 07:33 PM
in shadow run, the gm put my honor bound street samurai into a moral conundrum after his daughter was kidnapped. The only way he could fix everything that happened for the better was 2 words: Explosive Seppoku :D

Callista
2010-12-01, 07:49 PM
in shadow run, the gm put my honor bound street samurai into a moral conundrum after his daughter was kidnapped. The only way he could fix everything that happened for the better was 2 words: Explosive Seppoku :DYou're going to have to explain how having Samurai chunks all over the place fixes anything... :smalleek:

I had a halfling character whose backstory included a long childhood illness. As a result she was unusually small; only 2'4" and 20 pounds. This got her picked up and thrown more than once. Every time we needed to get across a pit or a canyon or anything and nobody could jump far enough--the Drunken Master picks her up, ties a rope to her, and throws her. Tumble ranks helped avoid too much damage... except for the time there was an invisible wall on the other side of a spiked pit. Poor halfling--spikes through the kidneys do NOT feel good.

Doughnut Master
2010-12-01, 08:26 PM
You're going to have to explain how having Samurai chunks all over the place fixes anything... :smalleek:

I had a halfling character whose backstory included a long childhood illness. As a result she was unusually small; only 2'4" and 20 pounds. This got her picked up and thrown more than once. Every time we needed to get across a pit or a canyon or anything and nobody could jump far enough--the Drunken Master picks her up, ties a rope to her, and throws her. Tumble ranks helped avoid too much damage... except for the time there was an invisible wall on the other side of a spiked pit. Poor halfling--spikes through the kidneys do NOT feel good.

Sushi?

So you were pretty much a living grappling hook. Interesting.

Grelna the Blue
2010-12-01, 08:58 PM
Hard to pick a favorite, and normally I play human wizards, but I did play a bard4/fighter2/Dragon Disciple3 whose impossible ambition was to someday become a red dragon. DDs are horribly unoptimal, but he was just so freaking fun to play as a door-opener who was becoming less diplomatic and more draconic and prone to intimidation with every passing level.

In Pathfinder, I had fun with a CG cleric of a storm god too. He was the halforc son of a missionary human cleric and had the "Veiled Vileness" feat, which meant he looked human (he also had an 18 Cha), even though another PC was his very orcish-looking barbarian sister and he identified far more as an orc than as a pinkskin.

Gensh
2010-12-01, 09:08 PM
It was the only time I played 4E, so it wasn't actually a bad choice, but I played a Neutral Evil elf cleric of a Chaotic Evil god of atheism. The DM never asked what god I was going to worship, so I waited until the first major social encounter and immediately began to improv preaching. He was so shocked that I was actually able to make it convincing that he didn't make me change gods. Later in the campaign, I actually ended up breaking the faith of the high priestess of Vecna, but by that point, the DM was tired of me converting all the bosses instead of killing them, so he made her go comatose.

true_shinken
2010-12-01, 09:21 PM
In 4e, I refused to let the rules stand in my way and had a Paladin with high Dex (well, 14, not that high but the best I could get) and leather armor. It sucked hard. You can't make a healer with good initiative/Stealth in 4e, it seems. :/

It was very entertaining to roleplay a scary Paladin. 'Please don't hurt me! Please don't hurt me!'