PDA

View Full Version : Question about Anyspell (3.5)

dextercorvia
2010-11-30, 11:11 PM
Suppose you already have a spell prepared in your third level domain slot and you cast Anyspell (either from a higher level slot, or through Domain Spontaneity, or whatever). The new spell is now prepared in your third level domain slot -- do you lose the old one even though the spell doesn't say so.

What happens if you cast a Twin Anyspell? You should get two copies of the same spell prepared in your 3rd level domain slot, right?

Morbis Meh
2010-11-30, 11:26 PM
If you use domain spontaneity you no longer need to prepare domain spells, so if you use Anyspell to cast an arcane spell you would lose your 3rd lvl domain spell slot.
You would get a second Anyspell if you twined it, or you could just recall it using rary's Mnemonic Enhancer to bring it back.

dextercorvia
2010-12-01, 12:32 PM
What if the caster doesn't have domain slots, like a Sorcerer with Arcane Disciple?

Curmudgeon
2010-12-01, 12:42 PM
What if the caster doesn't have domain slots, like a Sorcerer with Arcane Disciple?
Anyspell only works in domain slots, so it's entirely useless to a Sorcerer.

dextercorvia
2010-12-01, 01:04 PM
Anyspell only works in domain slots, so it's entirely useless to a Sorcerer.

Do you have an answer for the Twinned Anyspell?

gbprime
2010-12-01, 01:14 PM
Do you have an answer for the Twinned Anyspell?

Stands to reason you'd need 2 domain slots to put them in.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-01, 03:37 PM
Stands to reason you'd need 2 domain slots to put them in.
More specifically, you'd need 2 3rd-level domain slots. I'm not sure that's possible.

gbprime
2010-12-01, 04:08 PM
More specifically, you'd need 2 3rd-level domain slots. I'm not sure that's possible.

IMO, I'd let you put one of them in a 4th or higher level domain slot.

dextercorvia
2010-12-01, 10:46 PM
Alright, that makes sense (only working with domain slots), and gbprime's houserule would be reasonable, and IMHO not contradict RAI.

Suppose said cleric with the spell domain prepares Anyspell in his 3rd level domain slot, and casts it to prepare a Mirror Image (or whatever). He then uses Mnemonic Enhancer (or a pearl of power) to recall just cast Anyspell.

What happens?

gbprime
2010-12-01, 10:56 PM
Nothing. The slot isn't open to be refilled until after you use the Mirror Image. That nixes Mnemonic Enhancer as a possibility, but pearl of power could easily be used to fill the slot later.

Curmudgeon
2010-12-01, 11:43 PM
IMO, I'd let you put one of them in a 4th or higher level domain slot.

Alright, that makes sense (only working with domain slots), and gbprime's houserule would be reasonable, and IMHO not contradict RAI.
The problem with this is that Anyspell specifically only works out of your 3rd-level domain slot, so it really appears that the designers intended to thwart such DM generosity.

gbprime
2010-12-01, 11:48 PM
The problem with this is that Anyspell specifically only works out of your 3rd-level domain slot, so it really appears that the designers intended to thwart such DM generosity.

Perhaps. But IMO again, if you want to use a 4th or 5th level domain slot to store a 2nd level wizard spell, I'm not inclined to spend too much effort to stop you. :smallwink: