PDA

View Full Version : 1040 is the loneliest number...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-01, 12:34 AM
Ok, so, a doc I'm going to see requires a copy of my 1040 tax form. When my taxes were done I did not receive a copy of this, or if I did I don't know where they put it.

I've looked online, and a couple places say you can get it back by paying like $50+, but I find this questionable.

Anyone have any further knowledge regarding this?

Lord Thurlvin
2010-12-01, 12:45 AM
Aren't we not supposed to give legal advice on these forums? Not sure if this counts, but I wouldn't want anyone to get in trouble on accident.

Roland St. Jude
2010-12-01, 12:45 AM
The IRS should give you that for free. (http://apps3.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html) (Or something that would suffice.) Apparently, it takes two weeks.

Though if you got your taxes done by a reputable person or organization, they ought to give you a copy (or another copy) for free, I'd say.

Lord Thurlvin
2010-12-01, 01:03 AM
Well, that certainly put my uncertainties to rest.

Mando Knight
2010-12-01, 01:05 AM
In the future, though, you should always hang on to a copy of at least your last 1040. It helps when filing your next one, and is useful for other various tax-related things.

Zherog
2010-12-02, 11:21 AM
I'm trying to think of a valid reason as to why your doctor would need a copy of your 1040... I mean, that's even worse than handing over a copy of your social security card, since it also includes address, gross pay, employer information, and all that fun stuff.

Did the doctor's office say why they need your 1040?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-02, 11:27 AM
Thanks all for the info!

Good news is, apparently I had it all along, it just wasn't labeled such and didn't look like any 1040 I'd seen before.

I'm trying to think of a valid reason as to why your doctor would need a copy of your 1040... I mean, that's even worse than handing over a copy of your social security card, since it also includes address, gross pay, employer information, and all that fun stuff.
Basically its a clinic nearby that bases their charge on your past income, current income, etc.

Lost my job back in February and freelance writing over the net is laughable (and my state's unemployment is around 13%), so basically instead of having my foot x-rayed for a couple hundred dollars, it'll only cost me 20 or so. If there's anything wrong probably still have to go to a professional, but least these folks can refer me.

It's a legit place, and I researched them and they do require it of all patients. Been doing it for 10 years. 5 years ago built a college around it, and now it's where medical trainees come to observe. So I'll have folks observing my foot.

Better clip my toenails...

HalfTangible
2010-12-02, 11:30 AM
I've been told you're supposed to keep records of your tax returns for the last 5-10 years (you'd be surprised what the IRS looks into)

Definition of awesome: Getting a call from the IRS saying they owe YOU 50k.

Zherog
2010-12-02, 11:38 AM
I'm glad you checked it out; that was mostly what I was getting at -- making sure they had legit reasons to get all that personal information.

Hopefully whatever's wrong with your foot, it's not a fracture.

And yes, it's difficult to make a living doing freelance writing. I'm at the stage now where some publishers come to me, and I still only make enough at it to support my gaming habits (D&D/PF and WoW).

Raistlin1040
2010-12-02, 10:45 PM
:frown:
*sad walk away*

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-02, 10:46 PM
:frown:
*sad walk away*
*bites you*