PDA

View Full Version : Already Made 3.5 to Pathfinder Conversions?

Goober4473
2010-12-01, 05:48 PM
Is there anywhere I can find conversions, especially classes and races, from 3.5 to Pathfinder? I've found 100 guides to doing it, but someone has to have already done it.

aboyd
2010-12-02, 06:36 PM
The systems are so compatible that I wouldn't bother. When I run a Pathfinder module in a 3.5 edition game, I run it as-is, but for a level higher. That is, if the module says it's OK for Pathfinder characters of level 6, then I run it for 3.5 edition characters of level 7.

This is because Pathfinder made everything a bit stronger.

I flip it too. If I am running a 3.5 edition module in a Pathfinder game, and the module is listed as appropriate for level 10 characters, I run it when the Pathfinder characters are at level 9. Pathfinder characters are beefy, so they can handle a slightly higher-level 3.5 edition module.

That's it. That's nearly all the conversion I do. I run Pathfinder & 3.5 edition stuff in parallel and apply the d20 mechanics just fine.

(This concept has been done before. For example, with D&D 4th edition, there are the new "essentials" classes, which operate differently than their original 4th edition counterparts. The authors suggested that rather than replace the originals, they are simply alternative classes that coexist. Both "play styles" are in one game. And so I follow that here, so that I don't have to work myself to death on minutiae. I just grab the module and run it as-is, and it works. If a 3.5 edition NPC doesn't have a Pathfinder-specific mechanic, such as the CMB, who cares? 90% of the time it won't come up, and the 10% of the time it does, I can wing it.)

Goober4473
2010-12-03, 05:44 AM
That works just fine for monsters and adventures, and I'd do the same. But what I'm interested in is classes and races, for players to use. For instance, updates of the Complete, Tome of Magic/Battle, PHB2, etc. classes that need it (some don't really have dead levels and are already powerful enough), and races like regular orcs. Also higher LA races. It seems like a lot of +1 LA races are still a tiny bit better than the Pathfinder core races, but not enough to justify an LA.

Gametime
2010-12-03, 08:03 AM
There are conversion guides (http://paizo.com/pathfinder/conversionGuides) available for free at the Paizo store, although I haven't looked at them myself.

Amiel
2010-12-03, 08:05 AM
There's also the d20pfsrd.com site for all your gaming needs.

senrath
2010-12-03, 08:07 AM
There are conversion guides (http://paizo.com/pathfinder/conversionGuides) available for free at the Paizo store, although I haven't looked at them myself.

They're basically "Okay, look at a similar class/race/whatever from Pathfinder. Now wing it."

Seatbelt
2010-12-03, 08:42 AM
It seems to me that conversion is really simple. Knock 3 ranks off the skill requirments for PrC's to account for the different way skills are calculated. Adjust required skill ranks to account for the lack of certain skills. Up the HD of classes where appropriate (I forget if PF wizards have D4 HD or not).

Strong PrCs don't need more goodies because they're already strong. Weak PrCs in 3.5 were weak in 3.5 and they will be weak in PF. I don't think each PrC needs to have new abilities to make it PF acceptable. My PF Summoner/Malconvoker is stronger than the straight classed fighter and rogue/ranger he adventures with.

Psyren
2010-12-03, 09:47 AM
You also need to make sure any races being converted have a net positive in stats, or have other benefits to compensate. For example, I would have Pathfinder Warforged be +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Wis, -2 Cha, while PF Warforged Scouts would be +2 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha, 30 ft. move speed. (in both cases, Str was increased.)

GoatBoy
2010-12-03, 10:32 AM
You also need to make sure any races being converted have a net positive in stats, or have other benefits to compensate. For example, I would have Pathfinder Warforged be +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Wis, -2 Cha, while PF Warforged Scouts would be +2 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha, 30 ft. move speed. (in both cases, Str was increased.)

Agreed, the biggest change is the racial stats. If you bump up the LA 0 races, everything else sort of works out.

There's not much that can be done about classes, because while there was a net increase in power for most of them, it was more due to buffing up the weakest classes to keep pace with the strongest.

I am hesitant to go with your Warforged changes, though... +2 Str and +2 Con just seems to be too much of a "holy grail" for melee classes. I know that Frostburn's Neanderthal did it with no LA, but they didn't have the Warforged's yummy collection of immunities. I just said that Warforged were +2 Con, -2 Cha, and +2 Int. Why Int? Because of Pathfinder's "+2 to each of one physical and mental stat," and intelligence just seemed easiest to justify. I say that they store information like a computer and have a much clearer memory than other races.

Goober4473
2010-12-03, 05:19 PM
I certainly understand how to do the conversions. Bump up LA 0 races, elimate dead levels, make sure every class gets something cool at level 20, etc. I've read and understand the conversion guide. d20pfsrd.com has only stuff that appears in the Pathfinder books, it seems.

What I'm looking for is if anyone has already applied these guidelines to races and base classes. Rather than "here's how," I'd like "here's some classes and/or races that I/someone updated from 3.5 to Pathfinder."

aboyd
2010-12-03, 05:40 PM
I don't think anyone has already bothered with it. Both systems are pretty feature-complete as-is, so I doubt anyone has been driven to convert things in the ways you describe. Maybe you could do it?