PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 + pathfinder- What would you *want* to do?

randomhero00
2010-12-01, 06:07 PM
So we've had similar threads, but they've all been about how to get as much power as possible of the RL you was thrown into these fantasy worlds. Well what if it wasn't about power at all? Just curiousity and happiness? And you are in no danger?*

If you were thrown into one of those settings (your choice) what would you want to *do* provided you weren't in any danger (say you have an overdeity watching out just for you) and didn't particularly need power (unless that's the thing you wanted to do.)

So I'd want to meet a freakin dragon. Secondly I'd want to meet the lady of pain (hey no danger remember!) Thirdly I'd probably go about learning magic because it sounds fun. But if it turns out to be boring like, elementary school I'd go warblade from ToB as I already have some martial skill. As I'd work on that I'd simply slowly explore, as that would be quite interesting.

I'd love the zoologoy part (meeting all the different monsters and animals and such) I mean you'd get to see freakin dinosaurs!

Then I'd settle down with the highest cha and attractive female I could find. (ok and probably screw with a few people since I'm invincible)

*say anything that attacks and would kill it either just doesn't happen, or you are instantly res'd by your overdeity friend (its his experiment, he got bored too :smallbiggrin:)

Halae
2010-12-01, 06:42 PM
I'd learn to be a Wizard

No, I'm being serious here. Magic has been something that interests me for longer than I can remember, and, barring some untapped bloodline, I'm not already a warlock or sorcerer, so wizard is the way to go. Either that or artificer, but I'm more likely to find a wizard to teach me I suppose, depending on what world it is. Once out of apprenticeship, I'd probably find myself a girl who likes to see me use illusions or some such and settle down in some forgotten backwater town where I'd enjoy the rest of my life in study and providing magic council for a local head of authority.

If my happy life of living with my family got interrupted by a world ending threat, well, I've always wanted to be a hero, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find such things. I would, however, likely volunteer to go with passing adventutrers every once in a while, to stock up on XP for my next level and perhaps make a few magic items

Tael
2010-12-01, 06:49 PM
Kobold Paladin 1 Wizard 1 (Shifty eyes) :smallamused:

Nah, but seriously, I'd be a wizard too. I mean, why limit yourself to doing one thing, when you can just re-spec the next day and do something completely different! Factotum would be #2, and then Psion after that. But I'd probably be a sorcerer or a warlock. I'm just too lazy to learn all that complicated book stuff. :smalltongue:

Tvtyrant
2010-12-01, 11:09 PM
I would be the world destroying villain. I would work hard to become an epic level Wizard, then create a Gate spell that is permanent and open it to the Elemental Plane of Water. Once the world has been drowned I will then open up an identical gate to each Plane in turn, effectively creating a single super-plane with planet sized steam bursts from fire meeting water and where the demons and devils and archons could fight forever! :smallyuk:

CodeRed
2010-12-02, 12:10 AM
Holy Warrior time. Roving Paladin/Crusader wandering the land righting wrongs. It may be the fact that I love the Arthurian romances but that sort of idea has really always appealed to me. I love travel so I think a nomadic lifestyle would work for me too. As to the Holy Warrior part, I am most definitely Lawful Good (But not Lawful Stupid, I'm a Law student) and really can't stand to see innocent people get hurt. (That alone has gotten me into a few problems.)

randomhero00
2010-12-02, 12:33 AM
Would you guys really? I mean CodeRed, are you a police officer or FBI agent or something IRL? There's nothing really stopping you from doing a lot of that IRL.

WinceRind
2010-12-02, 01:13 AM
I would be the world destroying villain. I would work hard to become an epic level Wizard, then create a Gate spell that is permanent and open it to the Elemental Plane of Water. Once the world has been drowned I will then open up an identical gate to each Plane in turn, effectively creating a single super-plane with planet sized steam bursts from fire meeting water and where the demons and devils and archons could fight forever! :smallyuk:

Sounds like a plan.

I think that I prefer the psionic classes, though. There's something cool about it.

Also, Lichdom!

WinceRind
2010-12-02, 01:20 AM
Would you guys really? I mean CodeRed, are you a police officer or FBI agent or something IRL? There's nothing really stopping you from doing a lot of that IRL.

Weeeeell real life, for one thing, doesn't have an alignment system.

That's pretty significant.

And while it's easy to talk about saving innocents and punishing the guilty, in the end of the day these matters are entirely subjective. So you're either doomed to hypocrisy, extremism, and being eventually stopped for good (Although I don't see that happening to PETA...) or you'd just be lying to yourself.

Or you can be a more neutral kind of helper trying to help everyone and even if it goes well for you (There are plenty of people who would like to put to stop to you in that situation however, and no good deed goes unpunished) in the end of the day all you've done will only help create more of what you sought to stop.

It's easy to donate to some charity and help the grannies cross the road and think that you're a little angel. But once you consider the greater scope of things...

Roc Ness
2010-12-02, 01:22 AM
Bard. Just seems like what I'd want to be. I dunno whether I'd prefer being a Pathfinder bard or a 3.5 bard, though.

Probably be one of the NPCs. The comic relief, maybe.

Temet Nosce
2010-12-02, 01:38 AM
Honestly, I can't see any option here but gaining power anyways. It's a wish fulfillment situation, sure I might not need the power for surviving, but there's a long list of other things to do. Perfect health, immortality, increasing your basic physical/mental competence, effortless traveling, carrying your own mansion with you...

Afterward, I'd probably start using magic to mess with recreating modern society. Either that or set up civilizations like a house of cards to watch them fall.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-02, 01:40 AM
Gnome Artificer, working to raise the general mago/technological level of the area. I'd be a paladin, but I would always be arguing what is Fall worthy or not.

Crossblade
2010-12-02, 05:54 AM
First, I'd go about finding a way to stay permanently young. Timeless Body or some such. Then I'd find a way to live forever. (Won't bother to search for the threads that say how to now)
THEN, I'd learn to be a wizard. Do the whole play with magic, bend physics over, make some pretty lights.
Then I would become a cleric. Help the masses, throw around cure disease and create food/water like nobody's business; better everyone. (And keep doing that during the next bits)

And then, if that journey didn't result in seeing all the strange creatures and generic sights, different planes, etc; I would then start walking, to see said things.

Once that's all done, I would do the fantasy family thing for a while. I'm sure it would suck seeing a life mate and offspring age while I stayed young, but after they die I'd likely get over it eventually in a decade or century. Then I'd do it again. Now, when I say "fantasy family" I mean Half-creature babies. Half dragons, half fey, half elves... what are the other hot creatures?
Yes, I would settle down each time; I'm not that kind of person. (Unless it was that creature's culture to mate and part). No freaky/ugly stuff though like vampires, minotaurs, ogres, centaurs...

Then, I might start trying to educate the masses. Start free education, colleges, whatever... see if in a few millennia, if the mid-evil based fantasy world could turn into a modern technology or beyond nowaday's technology type of world... but with magic. (I've always assumed technology in DnD never changed because all above average intelligence people became Adventurers, and thus got killed; meaning no one smart was left to develop technology) Though if it's my second theory, the Gods keeping man simple and low tech; I imagine my bored protector would simply tell me to "Stop that. We like stuff the way it is", since I'm safe from everything.

If that fizzles out, then I'd start using magic to the extreme to start inventing stuff. And probably start descending into madness and frustration at the generally under educated populations. (I've already been working 20 years on the latter point, image where I'd be in 20 centuries in a world with dirt farmers) I'd start making things even gnomes on opium couldn't think of. Heck, I'd probably try and get a few gnomes on opium to see what they do think up... and then create that. Airships, landsleds, human sized sling shots that let you land safely, rooms of permanent altered gravity (this room you walk on the left wall, the next, the ceiling), homunculus, alternative counter parts to owlbears (rabbit-monkeys, dog-octopus, tiger-lions, cat-girls, dog-monkeys, lion-monkeys, monkey-monkeys).

Then I'd scry in on this world, and make sure it all isn't some strange Narnia time passing trick, what with being millennia old now.

Then I would use my spells to make a super tower. Because nothing says ultimate power by becoming the world's greatest architect/interior decorator.

Then I'd learn to knit.
Then I'd learn to leather work.
Then I'd learn to blacksmith.

Then I'd make another monkey-dog.

Then I might steal a few children and try to create a new society/small village-kingdom somewhere... likely orphans and unwanted children though; don't need people trying to take away my (test) subjects... but have the society have a strange custom to amuse my whims... likely perverted... possibly mildly insane depending on how time has affected me. (The word bye means hello or to greet someone, you spin in a circle before shaking hands) I would of course, fully provide for them using my magic. Then I would introduce them to the rest of the world, and see how the new cultures mixed.

Then I might start going around, and trying to tell all how the past was different, and how history was wrong... even if it wasn't.

I wonder if anyone is still reading my long post.

Then I would start walking again, and see what in the world's changed. I suppose the whole time I would also be getting to know the different races too, and their societies. Heck, I may try to Awaken one of my mix creature races and see if I can't get a society/new race out of them. Really, who would oppose a race of Cat-Girls? Unless people thought they were lycanthropes... because those would be bad.

Later, I would return to my tower and kick whomever is in it out. I would then spend a few decades making a miniature sized city based on odd landscapes.
After a few decades of that, I would then go out and make said landscape and build a ghost city. After it is complete, I would see how long it takes for people to find this city and move in.

Then I would try and figure out how old I was...

JaronK
2010-12-02, 05:59 AM
Initiate the pun pun loop immediately... you never know. And then I'd use that power for architecture. What can I say, I like building stuff. I'd make awesome preplanned cities and houses for everyone. I'd put up crazy museums and art houses and aquariums.

JaronK

Ernir
2010-12-02, 06:11 AM
I'd **** a Nymph.

FelixG
2010-12-02, 06:24 AM
I'd **** a Nymph.

+1 for this one :P

Also as there is no danger, I would take up leather working...craft myself a really nice saddle, find where the terrasque is sleepin, train it (I have enough time and there is no danger) then ride it around :smallbiggrin:

Pyrite
2010-12-02, 07:41 AM
Become a bard, hoping that I'll get lucky and end up traveling with the right group of heroes to get caught up in an epic story that I can record and share. Assuming I survive that, take the skills and magic items I've acquired to carve myself out a nice little niche somewhere, hopefully with someone I've fallen in love with along the way.

My bardic knowledge would be based on metagame knowledge, and I probably already know as much about swordfighting as a low-level bard.

I would need to get in shape, though.

Vizzerdrix
2010-12-02, 08:56 AM
Hmm... I'd find a small coastal blacksmith and offer to help him build the first steamship. After we sell it and he's got a few big fat contracts I'd commission one for myself and travel. I'd study the craft of the artificer and ranger and set about meeting all those interesting and adorable monsters (D'aaaw! Look at that otyugh. isn't it cute ^_^). Then I'd build my own dungeon themed zoo for others to get to see some of them too.

Eldan
2010-12-02, 09:05 AM
Let's see. Probably the same things I'd want to do in RL, but cooler. Namely:

Travel and discover. Hop to Olympus and do some mountain climbing. Go to Pelion and dig up some interesting ruins. See what's really there on Elysium's lowest layer. See what eternal night is like on the lower layers of the Beastlands. (Yes, I'd mostly stay on the CG corner of the Wheel.)

Explore and research. I'm a biologist here, there's no reason to stop that over there. Write a book on the behaviour and ecology of, I don't know, Balaenas. Really, any interesting creature I come across. Now, those creatures can kill me, but it would probably still be painful if they mangled me. Or I could be imprisoned, I guess. So I'd have to watch out.

Then, and connected to the last two: magic. Always wanted magic, now I'm able to get it. I'd want divination and transportation spells to help with the first two, abjuration because I'm paranoid, and enchantment for, you know.

Finally: immortality. Always wanted it. More than magic. The thing I would wish for from a Djinn if I only had one wish. Obtainable now. After studying magic, I'd probably go hang out in the Astral until I could become an Elan, or anything that's both alive and immortal. If necessary, undeath is an option, but only until I get a living immortal body, I like living.

After that... probably join the Sensates or the Free League and get involved in the faction war. Can easily be combined with the first two.

If I have enough magic that there's not much left (i.e. epic spellcasting), I'd start learning other skills. Eternal life is good for learnign everything.

Maybe start my own nation... if I can start a large enough nation of chaotic good, powerful people, I can start to really change the planes. Prevent the death of lawful evil people, bleed out the hells, stop the blood war, tell the archons they are stupid pricks.

Psyren
2010-12-02, 09:13 AM
I'd become an epic StP Erudite, and start a school for both magic and psionics. You guys can keep the bat-poop thing.

(Cerebrex College? Mind and Matter Academy?)

Eldan
2010-12-02, 09:19 AM
Ah, phh. Mental powers.

I find the batpoop flinging much more interesting. Why? Because it seems to make so little sense sometimes.

In the (heavily paraphrased) words of Harry Potter (in a fanfic): "Why the hell does magic require this ****? How can a universe work like this?"

I want to find out why. Why can a tuning fork teleport you to alternate dimensions? Who started this crap?

Devmaar
2010-12-02, 01:52 PM
I'd make friends with some Warforged and start up a robot detective agency.

Greenish
2010-12-02, 02:01 PM
I'd found a brewery with some dwarves. Then I might dapple with some soul binding, or maybe learn to be a DFA. Magic without needing high mental stats sounds good to me. :smallamused:

doctor_wu
2010-12-02, 03:57 PM
Sell mithral dutch ovens.

Otherworld Odd
2010-12-02, 05:42 PM
Be a traveler/archivist. I'm an illustrator irl so I would love to just go around and draw all the different varieties of creatures/races/places. It would be amazing. Not just draw, but write about them too and record them for others to read and learn about. Digging up ancient tomes and reading them, exploring, etc...

Other than that, I would love to learn magic. I would probably learn much in my travels from tomes and visiting libraries of great cities, but I would probably settle down in a school and become a wizard like many others here.

Edit: Either that or be a rogue. I'm definitely a rogue irl, extremely dexterous and skilled with my hands and fixing things. That, and it would be priceless to go dungeoneering with someone, get hit by a trap and skewered then turn around and be like it's alright guys, I'm fine! Got a deity watching over me, you know.

SamsDisciple
2010-12-02, 05:44 PM
Real life huh. Most likely I would do favored soul for the fact that I am out there doing good without years of studying. Instead it would be years of doing similar to the holy crusader idea above (and yes I am studying to join the FBI in real life)
Also I just have to say I hate how they did the mechanics of favored soul but power isn't that important to me and neither is immortality becaure if things are good in this world just imagine how good things will be in heaven after a life dedicated to righteousness

Eldan
2010-12-02, 05:46 PM
Be a traveler/archivist. I'm an illustrator irl so I would love to just go around and draw all the different varieties of creatures/races/places. It would be amazing. Not just draw, but write about them too and record them for others to read and learn about. Digging up ancient tomes and reading them, exploring, etc...

Ooh! I need an illustrator! I'm an ecologist, but I can't draw at all. Wanna come?

Otherworld Odd
2010-12-02, 06:03 PM
Ooh! I need an illustrator! I'm an ecologist, but I can't draw at all. Wanna come?

Odd has joined the party!

Zhalath
2010-12-02, 09:45 PM
Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu.

I'd honestly study wizardry. I've always loved the idea of magic (ironic, as I'm sort of a science geek).

the humanity
2010-12-02, 09:52 PM
rogue or a duskblade.

maybe a spellthief/duskblade.

into, of course dashing swordsman. whatever Elan went into. because puns combined with flaming on my swords is the coolest thing ever.

EDIT: nevermind. I want to sell decks of illusions. that would be the most awesome job.