PDA

View Full Version : The Name of the Wind

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-01, 06:48 PM
Apparently I'm not one of the only ones to like this novel, Rich does as well!

So, feel free to gush and comment on this fantastically rich novel.

My favourite part is always Savien's song

Savien, how did you know if was time for you to come to me?
Savien, did you know the days we squandered purposely?

The story about the destruction of Laren (spell?) and him becoming the Chandrian is good as well.

Smiling Knight
2010-12-01, 06:52 PM
I love when he goes to the asylum with Elodin. We were lead to believe, even by Kvothe himself, that this is where he learns magic, and then... he doesn't. :smalltongue:

My single issue with it is that Kvothe cannot catch a break money-wise, but we don't want things to be too easy, do we?

Speculation: what amount of the legends are true? Some contradict each other, like the worship of T(can't remember name) and the story the man in the pub (Skarpi?) told. And how does that interact with Bast and Kvothe forward in time saying there are no demons, only fae. And does that mean there are no angels?

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-01, 06:54 PM
For all that, he's immensely talented and smart. He's like a good Mary Sue.

Eldan
2010-12-01, 07:01 PM
Not really a Mary Sue. That needs more than just awesome power.

Anyway, Rothfuss should hurry up with part 2.

Also, is this the only Artificer/bard in fiction?

Eurus
2010-12-01, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I was pretty impressed by the fact that I didn't hate Kvothe. I mean, really. His family dies tragically, he's incredibly talented at almost anything he puts his mind to but underprivileged, he grows up to be (in)famous... but he didn't come off as too much of a raging Mary Sue to me.

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-01, 07:05 PM
You know Kvothe started as his D&D character.

Eldan
2010-12-01, 07:10 PM
At least he gets bonus points for most unpronouncable name i've ever seen. I mean, wow.

The Tygre
2010-12-01, 07:12 PM
I'll admit, I'm a gushing fan. :smallredface: I gave in to all the press I kept hearing for the book (I think the straw that broke the camel's back was from the guys at Penny Arcade). Kvothe does come off a bit of a Stu, but a very good one. For its brief lifespan, the Likable Sue page on TV Tropes had him as its patron saint, complete with a lil' portrait.

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-01, 07:20 PM
This book is one of the reasons I like metheglin. It is as good as it is described in the novel, fresh as rain water, sweet as honey.

Smiling Knight
2010-12-01, 07:22 PM
One of the major reasons I'm fine with Kvothe's talents is his situation in the inn. He's a nobody, hiding, waiting to die with no purpose. He can't even perform basic sympathy.

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-01, 07:31 PM
And we want to know why!

valadil
2010-12-02, 12:36 AM
I quite enjoyed the book. It reinstated my faith in fantasy. I think I even liked sympathy magic better than Mistborn's allomancy.

My biggest quibble was actually the editing. There were a few phrases that read like bad fanfic. Specifically there were so many instances of someone emoting adverbly. Just use said, dammit. I'll forgive Rothfuss this time since it was his first novel, but I expect those to be cleared up by the next book.

MammonAzrael
2010-12-02, 12:52 AM
I got this book for my birthday a couple months ago, and I enjoyed it quite a lot.

I agree that framing the story as a, well, story, was brilliant.

Kvothe was an interesting character, obviously stupidly skilled, but the way all his actions were explained, and how it was approached helped him from feeling to Mary Stu-ish. I think part of it was the acknowledgment that he was/is a legend, and his actions are waaay above par. I think the thing that helps the most is the fact that he knows how out of the ordinary he is. Kvothe doesn't act like he's just some ordinary dude.

I'm looking forward to the (implied) next two books, to find out what happened to make him the man he is in the inn.

thorgrim29
2010-12-02, 01:03 AM
I also want to see how he stops being the man in the inn. I read Pat's blog a bit, and I don't think he's the kind of guy to end the story with Chronicler leaving the inn and Kvothe as he found them.

Edit: Also, I just spend time reading his blog ( a lot of stuff about a charity, were I not in the red right now I'd probably give a bit, it's a good cause), but it would seem the version of the book that will be the advance readers copy has been sent to the publisher a month ago. So yeah, book two is coming.

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-02, 05:04 PM
Tycho from Penny Arcade was given half the next novel. Lucky bastard.

I forget when but it was mentioned in the news post a few months back.

Lioness
2010-12-03, 07:20 AM
I believe the official release date for Wise Man's Fear was set at March 1st, 2011.

Anyways, this is just about my favourite book ever. I've read it at least 6 times, probably more. I love everything at the University...the wordplay, imagery, etc.
And Elodin is :smallcool: in a sort of :smallconfused: way :smallbiggrin:

Denna occasionally frustrates me, and I often skim read the parts with him in Tarbean and when they go chasing the draccus.

But all the bits in the inn leave me wanting so much more...I need to know what happens. I can't not know what happens.

The description of his music is...pretty amazing.

Valaqil
2010-12-03, 05:22 PM
I believe the official release date for Wise Man's Fear was set at March 1st, 2011.

That is correct. (http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/contact.asp#q1) I'm looking forward to it, but it's about time. Four years! Blargh.

This is probably my favorite book of the last several years. It's amazing and... I'll shutupaboutitnow.

druid91
2010-12-03, 07:37 PM

Anyways, this is just about my favourite book ever. I've read it at least 6 times, probably more. I love everything at the University...the wordplay, imagery, etc.
And Elodin is :smallcool: in a sort of :smallconfused: way :smallbiggrin:

Denna occasionally frustrates me, and I often skim read the parts with him in Tarbean and when they go chasing the draccus.

But all the bits in the inn leave me wanting so much more...I need to know what happens. I can't not know what happens.

The description of his music is...pretty amazing.

Tarbean is one of my favorite parts.

But otherwise I agree. Especially about Elodin.

Lioness
2010-12-03, 07:37 PM
That is correct. (http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/contact.asp#q1) I'm looking forward to it, but it's about time. Four years! Blargh.

This is probably my favorite book of the last several years. It's amazing and... I'll shutupaboutitnow.

Noooooo, keep going :smallbiggrin:

My post could have been so much longer. But I decided not to post my every thought about every scene and character...

Also I really hope that the third one doesn't take 4 years...

Weezer
2010-12-03, 08:40 PM
Loved this book so much. The characterization of Kvothe was perfect, how well Rothfuss demonstrated how amazing he is at everything when he was young contrasted with his utter lack of confidence/mysteriously absent magical ability as an innkeeper is just so intriguing. I need the next book to come out, I was so excited when I read it was coming out in March.

happyturtle
2010-12-04, 04:36 PM
*is dying of jealousy* (http://whatever.scalzi.com/2010/12/04/how-im-making-fans-of-fantasy-insanely-jealous-today/)

Demons_eye
2010-12-04, 04:58 PM
I read it when it first came out and it blew my mind. Been reading it at lest once every few months sense. Not only is Pat a good author but he is working on the world builder project too.

Lord Raziere
2010-12-04, 05:39 PM
Its good, very detailed and interesting, made me really feel for the character, and I liked his voice, wasn't really lyrical or prose-y except when Kvothe was talking things he loved and cared for deeply which kind of made said descriptions more real; stuff he truly cared about or hated where focused on more than background stuff and it really gave the impression that this was a guy telling his story instead of a book about him.

0Megabyte
2010-12-06, 03:04 AM
This thread was one of the final straws to make me buy this book.

I'm currently on page 298 of the paperback.

In the last chapter, Kvothe just gave a lecture on sympathy on his second day of class, the teacher tried to get him expelled, and instead he got admitted to the Arcanum, along with a whipping. I like this kid. I really, really like this kid.

Lord Raziere
2010-12-06, 09:36 AM
This thread was one of the final straws to make me buy this book.

I'm currently on page 298 of the paperback.

In the last chapter, Kvothe just gave a lecture on sympathy on his second day of class, the teacher tried to get him expelled, and instead he got admitted to the Arcanum, along with a whipping. I like this kid. I really, really like this kid.

yea when he pulled that off, successfully with only a couple of whips on the back for it, I was all like "HAAAAXXX!!" in a good way.

as in you know "darn it Kvothe, you have haxed punishment into promotion! how did you freaking do that!?"

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-06, 07:02 PM
If Kvothe wasn't so fond of getting into trouble, he's be a good teacher.

Draz74
2010-12-07, 03:07 AM
Awesome book. Pre-order of the sequel is #1 on my Christmas list.

I think young Kvothe actually would still drive me nuts as a Marty Stu (even though he would still be highly entertaining to read about), if he weren't the same character as the emotionally-broken innkeeper. That makes him terribly complex and interesting.

What do you mean Denna drove you nuts sometimes?

Ambrose is the most despicably hate-able fantasy villain since Professor Umbridge. I imagine we're still two books away from the "king-killer" part of the story, but Rothfuss has already got me really, really hoping Ambrose is going to be said "king."

Someone should track down and link the online popularity-tournament between fantasy characters. Kvothe got taken out by some Song of Fire and Ice main character, but the self-fan-fic Rothfuss wrote of how he saw the battle going down was AWESOME. And it made the Kvothe/Bast relationship much deeper and more meaningful for me than anything in The Name of the Wind did.

Skarpi, the Chandrian ... I can't wait for more info.

Lioness
2010-12-07, 09:01 AM
Awesome book. Pre-order of the sequel is #1 on my Christmas list.

I think young Kvothe actually would still drive me nuts as a Marty Stu (even though he would still be highly entertaining to read about), if he weren't the same character as the emotionally-broken innkeeper. That makes him terribly complex and interesting.

What do you mean Denna drove you nuts sometimes?

Ambrose is the most despicably hate-able fantasy villain since Professor Umbridge. I imagine we're still two books away from the "king-killer" part of the story, but Rothfuss has already got me really, really hoping Ambrose is going to be said "king."

Someone should track down and link the online popularity-tournament between fantasy characters. Kvothe got taken out by some Song of Fire and Ice main character, but the self-fan-fic Rothfuss wrote of how he saw the battle going down was AWESOME. And it made the Kvothe/Bast relationship much deeper and more meaningful for me than anything in The Name of the Wind did.

Skarpi, the Chandrian ... I can't wait for more info.

I'm rereading it...again.

And I've found a lot of juicy foreshadowing in the "Now" parts of the books. The random that recognises Kvothe is all "I saw the place in Imre where you killed him...cobblestones shatttered" or something. And the sword being named "Folly"

I just really want to know what it was that caused him to name himself Kote...disaster.

Vonotar
2010-12-07, 09:43 AM
I can't give a direct quote but there was a line about Kvothe having the eyes/face of a man who had killed an angel. Something about him having to do that to hold onto his greatest wish I think? It has been quite a while.
There really are so many interesting hooks in this story that I can't wait to find out more about.

valadil
2010-12-07, 11:24 AM
I imagine we're still two books away from the "king-killer" part of the story, but Rothfuss has already got me really, really hoping Ambrose is going to be said "king."

As awesome as that would be, I'm not counting on it. Rothfuss seems really good at creating these unjustices that taunt Kvothe and the reader because he's not going to get to make them right. When his first lute (or was it a mandolin?) was smashed, he couldn't make it right and that pissed me off for a couple hundred pages until we met Ambrose. I think that was deliberate and I think Rothfuss will do it again.

Eldpollard
2010-12-07, 11:34 AM
Now this thread is good timing. I finished rereading the book yesterday. I realise this may sound hyperbolic but it honestly is one of my favourite fantasy books. I'm pretty sure I got plugged into it by Penny Arcade as well. They neglected to mention the long, agonising wait for the sequel when they made the news post.