PDA

View Full Version : Time Stop

Silva Stormrage
2010-12-02, 12:41 AM
Hello, I was wondering since there doesn't seem to be any definite answer RAW. Do objects/creatures created by the caster of Time Stop appear in the faster time stream or do they exist in the normal one?

For example if a wizard cast time stop and then cast wall of stone in the air (I know you can't actually do that I just can't think of another example) Would the wall fall during the Time Stop? Or would it just hang there till the time stop ran out?

I personally always thought the objects were created in the new time stream but I was reading a post about Time Stop that seemed to be the opposite.

Eldonauran
2010-12-02, 12:54 AM
A spell that affects an area and has a duration longer than the remaining duration of the time stop have their normal effects on other creatures once the time stop ends

Since the time stop only affects you (range: personal) and the above quote states durations > instant take effect aft the end of the spell, I would extrapolate that summoned creatures and the like don't appear (or act) until the spell effect ends. Likewise with the wall of stone, it would hang in the air until time resumes.

Besides, you cant harm other creatures while under the effects of timestop. I would expect the same thing for creatures summoned during the duration.

That's my take on it anyway as a DM.

Andion Isurand
2010-12-02, 05:39 AM
I would agree that anything that leaves your person would cease to be affected by Time Stop and would hang unresolved.

As far as walking up and firing an arrow at an enemies eyeball nearly point blank, I'm not sure if the arrow would hang "suspended" in the normal time stream the moment it left your bowstring before resolving its flight the moment Time Stop wore off.

Of course that kind of meddling probably wouldn't fly by your average DM.

Myth
2010-12-02, 05:51 AM
Anything you do, cast, throw, summon or otherwise conjure will happen all at once as soon as the Timestop ends.

You can't drag the enemy over the edge of a cliff so they fall down and die. You can however, cast Reverse Gravity around where they are, and then cast several Prismatic Spheres above them. When normal time resumes they instantly fly upwards and get shredded (if they fail the reflex save vs Reverse Gravity of course)

Jack_Simth
2010-12-02, 08:02 AM
and the above quote states durations > instant take effect aft the end of the spellThat's... not exactly what it says. It says durations longer than the remaining time in time stop have their normal effects on others after the time stop ends.

So suppose you cast an Intensified Time Stop (10 rounds).

The first thing you do is cast a minimum caster level Wall of Fire around someone you don't like. You don't keep concentrating on it, though (you've got better things to do with your standard actions for the other 9 rounds you gained from your 16th level spell slot), so it only lasts 7 rounds... and has no effect on anyone other than you, as it does not have a duration longer than the remaining duration on time stop. If, instead, you'd cast it at caster level 20, it'd have 20 rounds - which is ten rounds longer than the remaining duration on Time Stop - so it would burn the person you don't like (assuming said person is not immune to it at the point where you'd reasonably be casting an Intensified Time Stop, anyway).

My take on it?
You summon something: It's summoned, but as a creature that's not you, it's stuck in time, doing nothing. However, your spell still ticks down - so if you have 17 rounds on your Summon Monster Spell, and you started casting it in the 1st round of a Time Stop that rolled max (5 rounds), then there's 13 rounds left on the Summon when your time stop expires. If you fire an arrow at someone, the arrow bounces off of their invulnerable hide, and falls uselessly to the ground (it was attended by you for a bit, and so was participating in the Time Stop). You can, however, do the Reverse Gravity Trick... but you'll want to Disintegrate the ground beneath the person, so they can't grab on to it... and it'll terminate at the first Prismatic Wall, due to Line of Effect issues.

Runestar
2010-12-02, 08:10 AM
Wasn't time-stop revised exactly to stop this sort of stuff? Seems the designers didn't try hard enough. :smalltongue:

IMO, the purpose of the spell is to just buff yourself and maybe bring in 1-2 summoned allies. You could however place a forcecage around someone.

So what else can we do in a timestop?

Jack_Simth
2010-12-02, 08:17 AM
Wasn't time-stop revised exactly to stop this sort of stuff? Seems the designers didn't try hard enough. :smalltongue:

IMO, the purpose of the spell is to just buff yourself and maybe bring in 1-2 summoned allies. You could however place a forcecage around someone.

So what else can we do in a timestop?
Well, some of it depends on how unattended objects interact. But you could, say, bury someone in magical concrete (Transmute Rock to Mud, Dispel Magic), Summon some allies to swarm your opponent, buff yourself up heavily, and do some terrain control so that your opponent has trouble getting to you (Dimension Lock, Forcecage)

WinceRind
2010-12-02, 09:06 AM
I would agree that anything that leaves your person would cease to be affected by Time Stop and would hang unresolved.

As far as walking up and firing an arrow at an enemies eyeball nearly point blank, I'm not sure if the arrow would hang "suspended" in the normal time stream the moment it left your bowstring before resolving its flight the moment Time Stop wore off.

Of course that kind of meddling probably wouldn't fly by your average DM.

But if the clause is that anything that leaves you stops being affected by the Time Stop, what if you take a lot of throwing daggers and tie them all with chains to yourself!?

O_o

tyckspoon
2010-12-02, 12:18 PM
But if the clause is that anything that leaves you stops being affected by the Time Stop, what if you take a lot of throwing daggers and tie them all with chains to yourself!?

O_o

Then you still can't attack somebody not in the Time Stop, as per the specific restrictions, so it doesn't really matter. You just kinda look silly.

AstralFire
2010-12-02, 12:20 PM
Trying to apply cause and effect to magic doesn't work well.

Eldariel
2010-12-02, 12:37 PM
You can't drag the enemy over the edge of a cliff so they fall down and die. You can however, cast Reverse Gravity around where they are, and then cast several Prismatic Spheres above them. When normal time resumes they instantly fly upwards and get shredded (if they fail the reflex save vs Reverse Gravity of course)

What Reflex-save O.o You're a Wizard, you have 0 excuse to leave him something to hold on to when a Quickened Stone Shape, Disintegrate or w/e could most certainly have removed such annoyances. The reason Prismatic Gravity is so beloved is because the "save" doesn't really exist.