PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of the Night. Fears and creepies!

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-02, 01:20 AM
So yea. What are you afraid of lads and lassies???

First thing. Don't go making blatant shots and or pot shots at someone for being afraid of something... That's just some rude stuff and isn't allowed. On threat of return ridicule.

Anyways.
I'm afraid of real looking dolls, and small spiders, not large ones, just small ones.

Also when walking alone at night, usually in a forest or field which near me most tend to be haunted or rumored to be as people have died in every forest near me, seeing small shadows and stuff suddenly moving around out of the corner of your eyes. Especially after watching an entire series of horror movies about being abducted and such by evil ghosts and goblins in a forest :D

Also one night I was at my Nanas' home which is a farm and was walking around the fields alone at like 2am, and I had just watched the entire slenderman thing. I was scared crapless... :D

Haruki-kun
2010-12-02, 01:22 AM
Open doors. When sleeping I need all doors to be closed.

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-02, 01:23 AM
Open doors. When sleeping I need all doors to be closed.

Same. I sleep with my bedroom door shut, and usually with a sharp object beside my head. I'm paranoid.

Skeppio
2010-12-02, 01:32 AM
What am I afraid of? Simple: Tight, enclosed spaces. I hate cramped spaces, low ceilings, small tunnels, and especially packed elevators. ARRRGHH! :smalleek:

And anything, anything at all involving being buried alive will have me running in terror or cowering in fear.

Yay claustrophobia. :smallannoyed:

Lycan 01
2010-12-02, 01:38 AM
Heights. I have extreme acrophobia, to the point of it actually causing psychosomatic reactions. If I'm on a balcony, and I'm too close to the edge and/or look down, I can feel the floor beneath me shifting so that I'm leaning towards the edge, and the earth below seems to be rising up or falling further away...

*shudder*

Open water freaks me out, too. If my feet can't touch the bottom, I don't like it. River, creek, ocean, pool, it don't matter. I just hate that feeling of nothingness beneath me. Like if I started to sink, I would just... sink. And sink. And sink...

And there's no telling what's under you either. *heebie-jeebies*

Lady Moreta
2010-12-02, 01:45 AM
And anything, anything at all involving being buried alive will have me running in terror or cowering in fear.

There's an episode of Mythbusters you really need to see... :smalltongue:

I too am claustrophobic, but only in crowds. I can handle tight spaces as long as I'm not swamped with people. But crowded buses, crowded lifts, crowsded streets freak me out. Anything that makes me feel closed in, like I can't get out. Once sat up the back of a bus next to the window, but for whatever reason the window was covered over. Bus wasn't even that full but I had to move it was freaking me out.

Also clowns. Clowns terrify me.

And crickets. They give me the creeps with their jumpy-jumpy...

edit: actually, similar to Lycan being in deep water freaks me out. I think it's actually to do with the claustrophobia though. I'm generally okay unless the water comes up over my chest (when water pressure makes it harder to breath), or if I'm floating and the water covers my ears (which makes it harder to hear). Both of those will have me floundering for shore/side of the pool in no time. Especially the floating one... at that point, my own breathing becomes easier to hear, and there is something uniquely terrifying about the only clear sound being your own harsh breathing while everything else is muffled.

Haruki-kun
2010-12-02, 01:47 AM
What am I afraid of? Simple: Tight, enclosed spaces. I hate cramped spaces, low ceilings, small tunnels, and especially packed elevators. ARRRGHH! :smalleek:

Opposite here. I feel comfortable in enclosed spaces. I usually cover myself completely while sleeping.

Heights. I have extreme acrophobia, to the point of it actually causing psychosomatic reactions. If I'm on a balcony, and I'm too close to the edge and/or look down, I can feel the floor beneath me shifting so that I'm leaning towards the edge, and the earth below seems to be rising up or falling further away...

*shudder*

Open water freaks me out, too. If my feet can't touch the bottom, I don't like it. River, creek, ocean, pool, it don't matter. I just hate that feeling of nothingness beneath me. Like if I started to sink, I would just... sink. And sink. And sink...

And there's no telling what's under you either. *heebie-jeebies*

Oh, yes. This one gets to me too. Once I saw a picture of an iceberg, supposedly from underwater, and I got scared by looking at the amount of space there was.

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-02, 01:49 AM
I used to hate clowns with a 'don't touch me or I will break your arm' style passion. Now I'm 6'4 and like 230lbs and they all tend to be tiny compared to me. :D

Lady Moreta
2010-12-02, 01:52 AM
I used to hate clowns with a 'don't touch me or I will break your arm' style passion. Now I'm 6'4 and like 230lbs and they all tend to be tiny compared to me. :D

I'm gonna take you with me the next time I go anywhere where clowns might be. You can scare them off for me...

The ones that really freak me out are those clown heads with the massive open mouths you're meant to throw balls into. The wide mouth and the slowly turning head *shudders* how is that meant to be anything but creepy?

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-02, 01:55 AM
I'm gonna take you with me the next time I go anywhere where clowns might be. You can scare them off for me...

The ones that really freak me out are those clown heads with the massive open mouths you're meant to throw balls into. The wide mouth and the slowly turning head *shudders* how is that meant to be anything but creepy?

Just call me and I'll go with you, I like being that hulking figure of protection :D

I was afraid of the ones that were really painted up with make-up and had that fluffy hair, mostly due to having watched and read IT at a very young age (Around 7 or 8) I only recently got over my fright.

Fri
2010-12-02, 01:57 AM
Real Life and My Future. I'm horribly depressed, and almost nothing scares me anymore because for me real life is scary enough already.

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-02, 01:58 AM
Real Life and My Future. I'm horribly depressed, and almost nothing scares me anymore because for me real life is scary enough already.

I know that feeling. It is scary...

Lycan 01
2010-12-02, 02:04 AM
I personally like clowns, myself. :smallsmile:

Oh, my fear of heights extends to stairs, too. I can't go down stairs quickly, because I'm paranoid I'll fall. In fact, last year I did. My dorm had a fire alarm at 11 PM, and in my rush I lost my footing and fell down a flight of stairs. I sprained/broke my wrist (never determined which), jarred my spine, and spasmed my diaphragm. Lovely experience. Just what my phobia needed. :smallannoyed:

Lady Moreta
2010-12-02, 02:18 AM
Just call me and I'll go with you, I like being that hulking figure of protection :D

Done. Now we just have to figure out a way to get you to Australia from Canada :smalltongue:

Lycan - *hugs* ouch... that can't have helped at all... :smalleek:

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-02, 02:21 AM
I personally like clowns, myself. :smallsmile:

Oh, my fear of heights extends to stairs, too. I can't go down stairs quickly, because I'm paranoid I'll fall. In fact, last year I did. My dorm had a fire alarm at 11 PM, and in my rush I lost my footing and fell down a flight of stairs. I sprained/broke my wrist (never determined which), jarred my spine, and spasmed my diaphragm. Lovely experience. Just what my phobia needed. :smallannoyed:

I'm afraid of ladders at a height, and balconies myself. For me it just seems that the wall at the edge is getting shorter until it's not there, and then I get dizzy.

Done. Now we just have to figure out a way to get you to Australia from Canada :smalltongue:

lol I plan on going to Australia within the next 10 years. The only problem is I hate planes... I'll take a cruise from California :D

Dallas-Dakota
2010-12-02, 02:25 AM
Getting fired, the sun/bright lights*, clowns.

You know, the usual.

*They just tend to friggen hurt e.e

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-02, 02:26 AM
Loss of vision, and the related. I fear things like blindness, having my eyes gouged out/damaged, places too dark for my eyes to adjust to, and lately, when my eye has been doing this thing where it doesn't focus correctly. I'm chalking it up to fatigue, since it seems to have gone away, mostly...

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-02, 02:29 AM
Loss of vision, and the related. I fear things like blindness, having my eyes gouged out/damaged, places too dark for my eyes to adjust to, and lately, when my eye has been doing this thing where it doesn't focus correctly. I'm chalking it up to fatigue, since it seems to have gone away, mostly...

I wouldn't mind blindness, but I hate fuzzy vision, where you just can't see exactly what you're looking at.

@Dallas-Want me to protect you from clowns too?
(Hint-They're allergic to fire*)
I do not condone lighting clowns on fire, and you never should outside of a video game or DND session (Or other various PnP RPGs)

Lady Moreta
2010-12-02, 02:33 AM

Alternatively you might need glasses... go see an optometrist if it doesn't get better :smallsmile:

My eyes do a refuse-to-focus thing as well... which my optometrist actually told me my glasses are making worse. Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done about it, as I need the glasses to see.

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-02, 02:41 AM
Alternatively you might need glasses... go see an optometrist if it doesn't get better :smallsmile:

My eyes do a refuse-to-focus thing as well... which my optometrist actually told me my glasses are making worse. Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done about it, as I need the glasses to see.

Due to my play-videogames-2-inches-from-the-tv lifestyle my eyes are fuzzy but it's fixing itself after I moved my room, (yay for humans ability to heal) luckily still no need for glasses for me :D

Eldan
2010-12-02, 03:54 AM

Oh god yes. Exactly that. Worst thing? My arms and legs start shaking. Sometimes my vision gets blurry as well. Which means that if I'm climbing something, say a ladder or a steep slope, it gets difficult to hold on, which means I panic even more...

I'm also afraid of sharp and pointy objects, steep stairs (connected to number one), open fire and large dogs.

Also, diseases. I'm a hypochondriac. If I have a small pain anywhere, I'll immediately think of a horrible disease I could have. Cancer seems the most popular lately.

It's getting ridiculous, really: yesterday, the other people started writing in nonsense sentences with mangled grammar which at first sight looked like they could make sense. My first thought? "****, did I just have a stroke that killed my language centers?" I mean, it lasted for a second, and I was aware it was absolutely stupid (I had quite a few medicine and neurology lectures a few years ago), but still.

Devmaar
2010-12-02, 01:42 PM
Escalators, travelators, anything where the floor moves just freaks me out.

Orzel
2010-12-02, 03:50 PM
Things near my face.

Come near my eyes and I'll scream and break your face.
I don't care if you are my primary doctor. Only 4 people are allowed to come near my eyes.

My ears, you get leeway. But if you're not flirting, I'll scream and break your finger.

Nose and cheeks. See ears. Scream punch tears.

InaVegt
2010-12-02, 03:59 PM
Darkness
Bright Light
Crowds
Dogs
Thunder
Sharp implements
Failure
Death/Mortality
Enclosed spaces
Bugs
Monkeys
Clowns
More

TruorTupnm
2010-12-02, 04:13 PM
Dogs. Any size, any type, any temperament. I don't care. Those things are evil. I've had a couple of cats killed by them and a lot of nightmares about giant bear dogs chasing me. I got better at not freezing up or anything around them, after I had to work on a farm that had some gigantic and terrifying, but well-trained dogs, but still. Pure evil, those things.

Clowns. Well, I suppose that I'm just a bit creeped out by them. I was even before I saw It. I really wanted to ride the elephant, when the circus was in town, at one point. My mother handed me the money for it, but I ran back to her and told her that I showed up too late to ride, since I had to hand the money to a creepy clown. Do they figure that personal space doesn't exist, if you're wearing makeup?

Charisma-based skills. My family is full of liars and manipulators. They know how to get things done via other people, which I figure to be quite evil. Sure, I understand that these powers can be used for good, but it still seems evil. Get things done yourself.

Mordokai
2010-12-02, 04:32 PM
Nonexistance. Death, not really. Failure to exist, one way or another?

It's pretty damn scary.

Spiryt
2010-12-02, 04:41 PM
Dogs. Any size, any type, any temperament. I don't care. Those things are evil. I've had a couple of cats killed by them and a lot of nightmares about giant bear dogs chasing me. I got better at not freezing up or anything around them, after I had to work on a farm that had some gigantic and terrifying, but well-trained dogs, but still. Pure evil, those things.

Eh, not really. Some dogs are made to be violent, either for purpose of defense/guarding, or just by stupidity and bad will, but most dogs are pretty harmless, if irritating (if they bark, bark and bark) creatures.

But since I understand that you are talking about your phobia, not real state, so my post is pretty pointless, but it reminded my on how my pointing breed actually managed to catch a cat once...

He held the kitty in his jaws, not sure what to do, kitty was staring at him in sheer terror. Then kitty broke out and run away. :smallbiggrin:

As for my fears, I don't really have very distinct ones... All in "average human" zone, so can't say much on topic. :smallredface:

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-02, 04:42 PM
Change and failure.

Malfunctioned
2010-12-02, 05:57 PM
A slight fear of rejection and a fear of big swarms of bugs.

Of course the bug thing isn't so much a paralysing kinda fear, more like "Okay, that's incredibly creepy but I have to go through it, just hold your breath and close yours eyes and no you didn't feel one going up your nose you're just imagining it please let me be just imagining it" kind of thing....

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-02, 06:00 PM
A slight fear of rejection and a fear of big swarms of bugs.

Of course the bug thing isn't so much a paralysing kinda fear, more like "Okay, that's incredibly creepy but I have to go through it, just hold your breath and close yours eyes and no you didn't feel one going up your nose you're just imagining it please let me be just imagining it" kind of thing....

Spider webs give me the creepies, especially when you cannot see the spider...

Malfunctioned
2010-12-02, 06:05 PM
Spider webs aren't actually a problem for me. It's more like those big swarms of gnats or tiny flies that pop up during summer.....

Strangely things like the Vermin Man from Constantine don't actually both me at all, I was actually awesomed by that.

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-02, 06:12 PM
Spider webs aren't actually a problem for me. It's more like those big swarms of gnats or tiny flies that pop up during summer.....

Strangely things like the Vermin Man from Constantine don't actually both me at all, I was actually awesomed by that.

Swarm don't bother me too much, just annoying when they fly around my face.

I do not remember that guy...

Castaras
2010-12-02, 06:14 PM
Injections, which also gives me medical fears stemming from my fear of injections.

I have a weak stomach. :smallyuk: Although I suppose fainting rather than throwing up would mean I have a weak head or something? :smallconfused:

Edit: And buzzy insects. I don't like buzzy flying insects. I like crawly insects, and spiders. But not buzzy/fluttery ones.

Amiel
2010-12-03, 08:03 AM
Hmm, I seem to be remarkably free of the common phobias.
I like spiders, snakes, heights, sharks, bats et al; though I dislike clowns and mimes on principle, not because they're scary or creepy.

Though I am still rather frightened of the dark for some reason; though probably not of the dark itself, but rather what it contains, what it hides, what it allows to shudder and loathe within the unfathomable dark.

DeadManSleeping
2010-12-03, 09:57 AM
Hmm, fears.

Well, like a normal person, I like to keep my distance from spiders when possible (but I can touch them if I have reason to believe it safe), small things at high velocity will startle me, and I hate bees (but I can be near them if I have a reason to be). In general, I tend to avoid things that are explicitly dangerous (poisonous or otherwise deadly animals,etc).

I suppose I also have a fear of heights, but it's not at all crippling. I happen to enjoy rock climbing, visiting canyons, and standing on a guy's shoulders on top of a small landing 7 stories high (odd story). I have also attempted trapeze (keyword: attempted), and other things that involve being stupid over heights. It's scary, but I can deal with it.

I used to be afraid of roller coasters, but I got over it and went on one. Now I just don't like them.

I think that's all.

AtopTheMountain
2010-12-04, 05:05 PM
Dragonflies. Yes, dragonflies. Yes, I know they're completely harmless. I don't care! Look at that thing!

Also spiders. Strangely, I have no problem with drawings of spiders, or descriptions of spiders, or even photos and video of spiders - I'm only affected if there's an actual spider.

Scorpions, bees/wasps/etc., centipedes, and pretty much all flying bugs also creep me out.

Non creepy-crawly related fears include Eye Scream, some clowns, and the fear that I would somehow inadvertantly eat, swallow, or otherwise get one of those aforementioned little creepy things into my orfices or food.

RandomNPC
2010-12-04, 08:23 PM
I don't feel the usually described fear with the common things like bugs and whatnot. I do get a bit startled if I don't know what it is and it sneaks up on me. I'm fine with a poisonous spider I spot 3 feet away, but if I turn around and it's hanging two inches from my face, I don't care what it is, I'm getting out of the way then clapping it to death.

It's the fact something got that close to me that COULD be toxic, till I'm far enough away to identify it or kill it I tweak out.