PDA

View Full Version : [Any] Pragmagicism

The Pressman
2010-12-02, 03:22 AM
In my campaigns, I try to use magic pragmatically, in ways that are oblique to the original intent of the spell/item. For example, in my current game, ring gates are used as the basis of a traffic control system for a massive lake. Eberron has good examples of these in the harnessing of elementals for transport.

So what do you do, if at all, to achieve this effect?

Tvtyrant
2010-12-02, 03:56 AM
People try to make their lives easier however possible. So each village has a hedge-wizard who casts Mount to pull stumps and things where it might cause a horse to throw a shoe, if they need to alert people he casts alarm and then trips it so everyone can hear (saves on expensive bells), the government requires that all churches provide free healing in return for not having to pay taxes on tithes from followers, etc.

Basically I try to think of all the little things normal people would want out of magic and use those. For instance all organizations/businesses try to own items of Continual Flame, because they set things on fire and they are a status symbol. A man might give a ring that has Continuous Flame cast on it to his fiancee for a wedding ring, because they cost 50 gp without taking the ring into account (or paying the profit margin of the Wizard). In fact governments have to pay medium-high level wizards tremendous amounts of money to work in research and development for weapons and spells in war, because wizards do so well as private businessmen.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-12-02, 03:57 AM
In before Tippyverse :smalltongue:

EDIT: To elaborate, Emperor Tippy (a poster on these here forums) is well known for his encyclopedic knowledge of the 3.5 Magic Rules and his ability to manipulate them.

His casters are tiny gods. His worlds are filled with sentient ICBMs and free from want (and free from freedom!).

It is the standard on which all "practical magic" should be judged - and a warning for those seeking to create magic systems of their own.

The Pressman
2010-12-02, 04:00 AM
In before Tippyverse :smalltongue:

I know what the Tippyverse is, but what do you mean here?

Signmaker
2010-12-02, 04:18 AM
I know what the Tippyverse is, but what do you mean here?

Inb4(RelatedSubject) is a meme.

The Pressman
2010-12-02, 04:27 AM
Inb4(RelatedSubject) is a meme.

Ah. Now I understand.