PDA

View Full Version : Familiars and Skills

Hanuman
2010-12-02, 05:30 AM
Skills

For each skill in which either the master or the familiar has ranks, use either the normal skill ranks for an animal of that type or the master’s skill ranks, whichever are better. In either case, the familiar uses its own ability modifiers. Regardless of a familiar’s total skill modifiers, some skills may remain beyond the familiar’s ability to use.
So what exactly does this mean? It's written kind of odd.

Ernir
2010-12-02, 05:41 AM
For each skill in which either the master or the familiar has ranks, use either the normal skill ranks for an animal of that type or the master’s skill ranks, whichever are better.
Means that when you are trying to find out a Familiar's skill modifier, you use the skill ranks of the master, or the ranks of a normal animal of the Familiar's type, whichever is greater.

In either case, the familiar uses its own ability modifiers.
Means that regardless of whether the Master or a normal animal of the animal's type has more ranks in the skill, you use the ability modifier of the Familiar itself, not the one of the Master.

Regardless of a familiar’s total skill modifiers, some skills may remain beyond the familiar’s ability to use.
Means that you need to apply some sense when deciding just what the Familiar can do. No having your Viper Familiar forge documents for you.

Hanuman
2010-12-02, 05:47 AM
Oh, oh god. I have around 200 skillpoints and my familiar is a clockwork mender (intelligent flying construct).

This, is going to be fun.

Thanks!

zimmerwald1915
2010-12-02, 05:48 AM
Means that you need to apply some sense when deciding just what the Familiar can do. No having your Viper Familiar forge documents for you.
But, say, letting your Raven Familiar use wands is okay?

Hanuman
2010-12-02, 06:10 AM
Uh, while we are at it...

Does anyone know what type of poison a clockwork mender uses?
Or do you have to fill it with a poison yourself? It doesn't seem to list or explain it.

Ormur
2010-12-02, 06:14 AM
UMD is a classic skill to invest in just for your familiar so you can cast two spells on the same turn or so he can save you from tricky situations.

Signmaker
2010-12-02, 06:55 AM
UMD is a classic skill to invest in just for your familiar so you can cast two spells on the same turn or so he can save you from tricky situations.

"What's this DM, you need me to have a familiar with hands (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG183.jpg) if I want it to cast from scrolls or wands?"

Funfun.

Ormur
2010-12-02, 07:03 AM
That's why you get an Imp familiar.

Hanuman
2010-12-02, 07:05 AM
In other news, done!
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=250492

Urpriest
2010-12-02, 12:14 PM
Related question: does the sentence "For each skill in which either the master or the familiar has ranks, use either the normal skill ranks for an animal of that type or the master’s skill ranks, whichever are better." mean that a familiar has access to the master's skill tricks?

Hanuman
2010-12-02, 12:17 PM
Related question: does the sentence "For each skill in which either the master or the familiar has ranks, use either the normal skill ranks for an animal of that type or the master’s skill ranks, whichever are better." mean that a familiar has access to the master's skill tricks?

I can see both sides of that argument and agree to both with some degree, but I believe looking at it mechanically "no" is the only option. Contextually it's a maybe, because you could argue that the special application of skills could be linked and taught.