PDA

View Full Version : Monster of INTIMIDATION! (3.5)

Balor01
2010-12-02, 05:56 AM
So you are a member of Imperial Colonial Office, which simple-minded natives see as invaders/tyrants/nazis.

And you REALLY want to make an impression of empires' power on these simple throngs.

What sort of beasties would you have (mind here, as an embodiment of your power and might of the Empire, not best thing to hunt-down-and-kill - we have spies/rogues for that) enslaved/permanently dominated to represent the Might of the Empire who benevolently freed these yahoos who can now work the fields in chains and will soon meet the joys of underground mining?

Yup, lots of LE in this one.

PS: Except say, tarrasque. Besides being a unique monster, it is kind of lame.

Ernir
2010-12-02, 06:07 AM
Iron golems are spiky and scary. Those work for "see how powerful I am!" (you need an enormous WBL allowance to afford crap like those), but not as well for "see how powerful a creature obeys my commands!".

Otherwise, having your cart pulled by a Dominate Monster-ed (or better, Mindraped) dragon of size huge or above kind of makes a statement...

FelixG
2010-12-02, 06:12 AM
A hydra, hard for the people to kill if they rise up...

...And lets face it, these are commoner mooks we are talking about, if you kept a shock lizard or house cat on chains near them they would likely freak right the hell out :smallbiggrin:

Hydras are cheep, easy to maintain and scary as hell to mooks

Balor01
2010-12-02, 06:35 AM
Iron golem with spikes in a shape of hydra? :-P

Eldariel
2010-12-02, 06:46 AM
There are few things as frightening as Dragons.
1) Well...they're friggin' dragons! That is, skyscraper-sized, fire-breathing, faster-than-car flying, magical lizard-beasts.
2) They tend to have very strong egos, a way with words and the physique to back up any threat they might make.
3) Intimidate is a class skill for them and they have a lot of HD.

Besides, nothing's quite as glorious as Dominating a Dragon.

Signmaker
2010-12-02, 06:48 AM
One fuzzy white kitten, positioned directly in front of the scariest guard sentry possible.

Hanuman
2010-12-02, 07:17 AM
Iron golems are spiky and scary. Those work for "see how powerful I am!" (you need an enormous WBL allowance to afford crap like those), but not as well for "see how powerful a creature obeys my commands!".

Otherwise, having your cart pulled by a Dominate Monster-ed (or better, Mindraped) dragon of size huge or above kind of makes a statement...
Chain golems are it's scary brother.

I recommend a bone ooze. Why?:

1) They are BIG.
2) They are amorphous, and roll around like a bolder.
3) They look gross.
4) They will suck the bones out of you while flaying you open with the sharp bones inside of them.
5) Huge stat drain on contact, continuously.

Balor01
2010-12-02, 07:25 AM
@Hanuman

Which book?

Zen Master
2010-12-02, 08:57 AM
My first thought was golems - but .... well, that's been said and repeated. I'd go for stone golems though, for a more goth'y look. Ancient, gargoyly stone golems.

Alternatively, undead. Comes in all sizes, works around the clock, requires no pay, maintenance, food or shelter, and is far more expensive than a golem. Also, when uncle Seputek decides to kill the governor and ends up as his eternal undying guardian, that can be a deterrent.

Then of course you could have a secret police of painted pygmies (or halflings/gnomes/other) with trained ogre slaves. That would scare me.

Hanuman
2010-12-02, 09:59 AM
@Hanuman

Which book?

Page 36/37 of Monster Manual II
Enjoy!

---------
For the iron golem comment, there are much bigger much more intimidating things, even with the same general flavor a Cadaver Collector is a large iron golem with gruesome long spikes with a few bodies impaled on it.