PDA

View Full Version : Ff6

al'raith
2010-12-02, 08:14 AM
I need help I'm doing a campaign loosely based off of FF6 and I was just wondering if anyone has made magiteck armor or something similar to it. Also something like espers would be much appreciated too :smallbiggrin:

Mecharious
2010-12-02, 09:55 AM
What system are you using? D&D 3.5?

(There's also the Final Fantasy d6 system by Dust in my sig - but it's its own system, not homebrew for another game)

GnomeWorks
2010-12-02, 10:14 AM
I wrote up an esper race/template, for 3.5 (ish). You can find it here (http://trinitywiki.org/?title=Race:_Esper).

al'raith
2010-12-02, 10:43 AM
sorry about that I am using 3.5 and gnomeworks thank you for the link I must say its much better than my esper attempt

Zeta Kai
2010-12-02, 10:49 AM
If you'd like, I made rules for Limit Breaks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54941), which covers the Desperation Attacks from FF6. I hope that this is helpful.

al'raith
2010-12-02, 11:43 AM
thank you Zeta Kai I'll try this out with my pc's and see if they like it they probably will:smallamused:

T.G. Oskar
2010-12-02, 12:50 PM
I wrote up an esper race/template, for 3.5 (ish). You can find it here (http://trinitywiki.org/?title=Race:_Esper).

Not sure if I actually agree with the racial characteristics, evensomore because of the "Esper" form.

The way they are usually presented, they seem to be Outsiders rather than Elementals (since only Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh/Indra, Titan, the game's version of Wind creature, Leviathan/whomever replaces him and Alexander have any element, with Alexander actually having an alignment). So they'd suit better as Outsiders with the [Extraplanar, Esper] and other suitable descriptors. There would be a few that conflict (Alexander would suit better as a Construct rather than an outsider, much like an Inevitable). Another thing is that Espers are unique, much like the Tarrasque, and quite probably having HD close to them for their uniqueness (so there could be a lot of efreeti, but only ONE is called Ifrit, and he'd have the same potential of power than your average archdevil or demon prince). Another thing is that they are perfectly suitable for Aspect status (and that's what most summoners do; summon aspects of the original which can only exist briefly or, in the case of FFX, independent of the original), reinforcing their uniqueness.

Another thing is their alleged "Esper form". You can work that with the "Half-Esper" template, which indeed has an Esper form; on the other hand, Espers are always on their Esper form and they may use spell-like abilities akin to Disguise Self or Alter Self (with a provision to change into a more humanoid form) as an alternate form. That way, they can mingle and deal with humans.

Because of their unique traits and whatnot, Espers are more akin to archdevils or demon princes (or Hebdomad archons, or Companion guardinals, or eladrin of the Court of Starts) than mere templates. Recall that this would allow some deities (Odin, Bahamut, Tiamat) to "act" like Espers, making their appearance complete.

Finally, I'd change the name. "Espers" is used twice, but so do "Eidolons" and they are mentioned as "Guardian Forces" or more commonly "summoned monsters". The usual mention is "Phantom Beast", which is meant to represent what they are. A more unique, original name would suffice, one that would remove some baggage from Squeenix; I find "Ancients" or "Beyonders" to suit my needs.

For example: "Ifrit" is one of the ancients, and one of the few Efreet that doesn't share the Efreeti mindset of slavery and domination. He still considers most creatures unworthy of his attention, and usually seeks the individual to defeat him in combat to become worthy of his power. "Ifrit" fights in a wild way, using his incredible physique and the fact that he can absorb spells of the fire descriptor to engage the enemy with a measure of safety; he battles most enemies with natural weapons, only unleashing powers like fireball or delayed blast fireball after taking a beating to recover part of the lost damage by entering into the area of effect of the spells (and also taking as many enemies as he can). Yet, "Ifrit" is more of a wild soul than other Efreet, and he knows the value of dealing with others without the need to command them.

--

To explain: of what few we've seen about Ifrit, he's usually demanding people to fight him in order to provide his services (or at least in FF6 and FF8), tends to be the warrior character and a bit of a guardian (FF6, when he engages the enemy first while interposing towards Shiva). but isn't inherently lawful or evil as the closest thing (an Efreet) would. He couldn't fit as another Efreet because he has spells that exceed the power of regular efreet, and cannot issue wishes to non-genies; he'd certainly have Scorching Ray, Burning Hands, Fireball, Delayed Blast Fireball and even Meteor Swarm as spell-like abilities. Someone that defeats him may, depending on how well the individual fought, earn a scroll with a fire spell (the usual reward for spellcasters), or a magic item related to flame (such as a flaming weapon, an armor of fire resistance, or rarely a Brazier of Commanding Fire Elementals); very rarely could Ifrit provide something to specific spellcasters such as a unique spell (Ifrit's Hellfire, which would be something akin to an 8th level spell and would work much like his usual summon) or a gem that allows him to summon or call an aspect of him if he really enjoyed the battle. More often than not, you may be facing aspects and not the real deal, so if you do manage to defeat the real one, he may concede a great gift upon you.

That kind of description and behavioral pattern feels akin to the representation of the summoned monsters of the Final Fantasy series, making them original creatures with original powers and abilities, but also translating them quite well to D&D settings (arguably as one of the many powers behind the world, or as I perceive them, powers separate from the world and that behave as wildly as magic would). In that sense, being a "Half-Esper" could be impressive, as it would be the rough equivalent of mating with a demigod (though, mechanically, a Half-Esper wouldn't be as powerful as a Half-Celestial or Half-Fiend, or a Half-Dragon in that sense; that would also make them insanely rare and probably powerful people on their own regard).

As for Magitek...I'll leave that to your artificers to work with, but I see them as a spell beam/spell lens combination system. The "spell beam" would be your basic Magitek Laser; a ray of energy drawn from a magic item, that would deal a specific amount of damage based on size (a compact Magitek Beam emitter would deal probably between 1d8 - 3d6 points of damage, that of a Magitek armor somewhere around 5d6 - 9d6 points of damage). By adding "spell lens" (aka, a crystal lens enchanted by magic to work only with spell beams, though they can be used with eldritch blasts as well), the properties of the beam can be changed; a "Flame" spell lens would change all the beam damage to fire damage and probably add a slight amount of extra damage (maybe instead of a d6, you deal a d8); a "Frost" spell lens would change all the beam damage to cold damage; a "Noise" spell lens would change all the beam damage to sonic damage, reduce the damage dice but make it a cone (or make it deal no damage and instead cause the "confusion" status), and so on. Quite probably a warlock could take some benefits from using these spell lens, and some may even be part of the production line alongside artificers. Then, make a sort of Warforged Titan construct (as your Prototype armor) and then make a massive vehicle that acts like your Prototype armor but without a pilot, and call that a "Magitek Armor" or whatever suits your needs.

GnomeWorks
2010-12-02, 01:00 PM
Not sure if I actually agree with the racial characteristics, evensomore because of the "Esper" form.

*shrug*

If you don't like it, don't use it. I'll be the first to admit that my stuff isn't meant to be a direct translation of other material. When I borrow, I take what I like, leave the rest, and change it to fit my setting.

The way they are usually presented, they seem to be Outsiders rather than Elementals (since only Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh/Indra, Titan, the game's version of Wind creature, Leviathan/whomever replaces him and Alexander have any element, with Alexander actually having an alignment). So they'd suit better as Outsiders with the [Extraplanar, Esper] and other suitable descriptors. There would be a few that conflict (Alexander would suit better as a Construct rather than an outsider, much like an Inevitable).

My take on them is that they're made of magic. Sure, that doesn't qualify them as elementals in the "traditional" sense, but I've somewhat co-opted the type to also include creatures/beings that are composed primarily of a Force (Magic being one of them, in this instance).

Prime32
2010-12-02, 02:37 PM
Finally, I'd change the name. "Espers" is used twice, but so do "Eidolons" and they are mentioned as "Guardian Forces" or more commonly "summoned monsters". The usual mention is "Phantom Beast", which is meant to represent what they are. A more unique, original name would suffice, one that would remove some baggage from Squeenix; I find "Ancients" or "Beyonders" to suit my needs.Note that the name "Esper" is an invention of the translators.

Esper = ESPer = A person with Extra-Sensory Perception

T.G. Oskar
2010-12-02, 02:45 PM
*shrug*

If you don't like it, don't use it. I'll be the first to admit that my stuff isn't meant to be a direct translation of other material. When I borrow, I take what I like, leave the rest, and change it to fit my setting.

Oi, don't be so stingy! Evidently it's a "take it or leave it" thing, but I was just giving my opinion. However, the OP did ask for something that resembled the Espers in FF6, and I gave my point of view of how that could be reconciled. The OP has no need to accept what I say, and he could very well agree with your Esper template; after all, that's part of giving an opinion (it doesn't necessarily has to be true). Whether you wish to accept my opinion or not depends on you, but I have a different vision of the system that I like to reconcile. Do consider that it's the only Final Fantasy game I don't tend to rate in a Top 10 just because how special it is.

Besides, I don't think I can reconcile Terra as an elemental, and in that matter, that is extremely serious business.

My take on them is that they're made of magic. Sure, that doesn't qualify them as elementals in the "traditional" sense, but I've somewhat co-opted the type to also include creatures/beings that are composed primarily of a Force (Magic being one of them, in this instance).

That wouldn't be a problem, except that "Outsiders" already covers that. It also covers what they usually end up within the game, and what they actually are in that world (Outsiders with the Extraplanar subtype, since most were born in the Esper World; though, they may be native to the Material Plane instead and the ties with the Statues/Warring Triad, at least in FF6, gives a much closer flavor of outsider than elemental).

Note that the name "Esper" is an invention of the translators.

Well, why do you think it's another of the reasons I tend to choose a name with less baggage? I can understand "Ancients" is a bit overused, but not so much for "Beyonders", for they may be as alien as a Far Realm creature. By all means, seers are the classical ESPers, having Clairsentience as their primary discipline, with diviners as a magical take on them. Heck, Paladins of all people are ESPers, since they have extrasensory perception towards Evil. As a class feature, to be precise.

GnomeWorks
2010-12-02, 03:10 PM
That wouldn't be a problem, except that "Outsiders" already covers that. It also covers what they usually end up within the game, and what they actually are in that world (Outsiders with the Extraplanar subtype, since most were born in the Esper World; though, they may be native to the Material Plane instead and the ties with the Statues/Warring Triad, at least in FF6, gives a much closer flavor of outsider than elemental).

When I hear "outsiders," I envision creatures from other planes of existence, and specifically more "out there" than the various elemental planes. Elemental, to me, usually connotes a being from an elemental plane, but this is not a necessary part of the definition of elementals.

In my mind, a creature qualifies as an elemental if a significant portion of its existence is not physical/biological/constructed in nature. If a creature is made mostly out of magic, that qualifies as an elemental in my book. They're not from the Magic Plane of Magic. They just happen to be made of magic.

As I mentioned, it may not be the best fit for an attempt to do FF6-style espers, because I took the gist of the esper concept and replaced much of the fluff with my own, but it's at least another reference for someone interesting in attempting to do something along a similar vein.

Zeta Kai
2010-12-02, 03:12 PM
Note that the name "Esper" is an invention of the translators.

I always liked "Aeon" myself, but then again, I'm biased towards FFX.

T.G. Oskar
2010-12-02, 03:51 PM
When I hear "outsiders," I envision creatures from other planes of existence, and specifically more "out there" than the various elemental planes. Elemental, to me, usually connotes a being from an elemental plane, but this is not a necessary part of the definition of elementals.

In my mind, a creature qualifies as an elemental if a significant portion of its existence is not physical/biological/constructed in nature. If a creature is made mostly out of magic, that qualifies as an elemental in my book. They're not from the Magic Plane of Magic. They just happen to be made of magic.

As I mentioned, it may not be the best fit for an attempt to do FF6-style espers, because I took the gist of the esper concept and replaced much of the fluff with my own, but it's at least another reference for someone interesting in attempting to do something along a similar vein.

Not to bash or anything, but then that'd mean there's no Monks on the setting, or that at least you cannot become an outsider through a class? I prefer "Beyonders" when referring to Espers/Aeons/Eidolons/Guardian Forces/Phantom Beasts/Summoned creatures because "beyond" trascends distance to become something else: "beyond" humanity, "beyond" existence, "beyond" comprehension. But they'd still qualify as "outsiders" since their concept of body, mind and soul is bound together (hence why they can't be revived). Then there's the classical "Ancients" which refers to something truly, truly old most of the oldest races still treat them as ancient, and it also presumes wisdom beyond the years. There's no need for a Magic Plane of Magic; they just have to be bound to a specific plane, and for most native outsiders, the Material Plane IS their plane (so they aren't exactly out there; heck, two deities exist within the Material Plane to be precise, and they're as outsiders as planetouched, monks, and PrCs that grant outsider traits at their fullest progression).

Elementals, OTOH, deal with something that precludes the existence of magic; an elemental is an elemental even without the existence of magic, because it is a sentient, sapient manifestation of the element. Treating pure magic creatures as elementals would also imply stuff like a psionic elemental, and that works best as an aberration (a being of pure psionic power) than anything else. It implies treating magic as an element, somewhat akin to quintessence rather than a state of matter (which is what essentially all elementals represent); then again, it's the thing of elemental and energy association (and the thing with acid which isn't really a form of energy unless you consider the pH and ionic/covalent bonds as the source of "acid" energy) that would lend some credence to magic as an element being a source of energy and an "element" in itself.

But, I can see it's a difference in opinion: I perceive a creature of pure magic as an outsider (since its body, mind and soul are bound together by the essence of, in this case, the very power of magic itself, and are the very manifestation of that magic much like an angel is a manifestation of the Upper Planes) more than an elemental (a mere manifestation of the element itself), given that the essence that conforms an outsider isn't necessarily tied to a plane. I see it on a broader scale: Inevitables are not only the manifestation of Mechanus as a plane but the manifestation of absolute, incorruptible, unforgivable and strict law (and the strictest reading of such); Modrons which would be on the same level as Inevitables don't connect with the plane much as Inevitables do, but also represent the same concept of law and furthermore, the very notion of Order as a real, pretty much tangible and sensible concept. Inevitables, which fit more the nature of Mechanus, aren't Outsiders in the strictest sense but Modrons do (and so do Formians, which don't represent gears and mechanical concepts but rather the strictest form of efficiency). Conceive the planes less as physical locations and more like manifestations of a concept within the universe (even life and death, through positive and negative energy), and the idea of outsiders representing the very essence of magic is not so far out of perception. It's less "magic has a plane, therefore there are outsiders" and more like "magic is a tangible, real concept within the Universe, hence there is a plane that represents it, hence there are outsiders that represent that".

But again, them's mental conceptions. I usually tend to group Fire, Ice, Lightning, Water, Wind, Earth, Holy (as good), Dark (as evil most of the time) as elements, alongside Gravity (really the weirdest), Plant (even weirder, but then again you have wood and metal so it could make sense), Plasma (akin less to the real definition of plasma and more to the definition of incorporeal "matter" and ectoplasm) and the Void (as your average destructive element, akin to Disintegrate). Plus one or two "elements" which I tend to shift (Poison, Star, Vacuum [influenced by Star Ocean II], Force and Acid [because of D&D]). But I don't tend to add pure magic/psionics/source of superpowers (I incline towards Quantum personally) as an element, so it shapes all conceptions of elementals I might perceive.

GnomeWorks
2010-12-02, 04:59 PM
Not to bash or anything, but then that'd mean there's no Monks on the setting, or that at least you cannot become an outsider through a class?

I ditched monks back in '07.

Treating pure magic creatures as elementals would also imply stuff like a psionic elemental, and that works best as an aberration (a being of pure psionic power) than anything else.

Yep, I also have psionic elementals.

They're elementals, not aberrations, because - as I've said - I view elementals as beings composed mostly or entirely purely of a thing.

Conceive the planes less as physical locations and more like manifestations of a concept within the universe (even life and death, through positive and negative energy), and the idea of outsiders representing the very essence of magic is not so far out of perception.

This does not match my take on the planes in the slightest.

If it works for you, groovy. Not how I do things, though.

dgnslyr
2010-12-03, 01:14 AM
Make sure you include a train in your game. Eberron might have something alont those lines. Also, if there's a monk in the party of PCs, be nice and give him a massive circumstance bonus to grappling said train.
Kinda like this.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/Thenork/trainplex.jpg
Sorry I don't have more to add. FFVI was my favorite of all the FFs I've played. Good luck with your campaign!

al'raith
2010-12-03, 05:15 AM
Thank you all for so much input first off

@Gnomeworks: thank you for your esper template I've already started applying it to creatures that were espers from the game.

@T.G. Oskar: Thank you for your input on magitech armor. I believe I'll make a construct type of creature for them I remeber seeing somebody making a template for piloted contructs anyone know what I'm talking about?

@Zeta Kai: Thank you for your limit breaks I'll see if I can modify it for the desperation attacks

@dgnslyr: I'll make sure to include a train and make sure none of them want to see another again in their entire campaigning career :smallwink:

also doe anyone know a variant for a chaotic monk?

Prime32
2010-12-03, 08:23 AM
@dgnslyr: I'll make sure to include a train and make sure none of them want to see another again in their entire campaigning career :smallwink:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u84cH_bmTA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAYPsGKMs4A

al'raith
2010-12-03, 10:09 AM
O_o I never knew you could take it out with the suplex... beyond epic :smallbiggrin:

al'raith
2010-12-03, 12:26 PM
so I'm currently statting up magitek armor and have hit small road bump :smallannoyed: would you guys say they are large or huge size?

T.G. Oskar
2010-12-03, 12:37 PM
Well, it's not like you can defeat Phantom Train easily with the Suplex; it's more like you can actually do a Suplex on it, even though normally it'd be impossible.

Though, if I deal with Suplexes, nothing beats the Dream Super Combo (not only you get the ground Suplex, the finishing move is the aerial Suplex variant). But, that's not FFVI...

As for Magitek Armor, remember I made a mention about "Warforged Titan"? If you have the ECS, get it (or just the Spell Compendium, since Body of War is essentially the ability to turn into a Warforged Titan). That should give the general gist about Magitek Armor, complete with stats (though instead of two axes, you get two claws and a kick). Sky Armor would be the roughly similar (except they have no weapons and they have propellers to fly), and Guardian would be just brutal (spell resistance, immunity to all energy types, DR 25/magic and adamantine, AC over 60) so it'd be fine for a boss.

Zeta Kai
2010-12-03, 02:30 PM
Well, it's not like you can defeat Phantom Train easily with the Suplex; it's more like you can actually do a Suplex on it, even though normally it'd be impossible.

I only know one strategy for beating the Phantom Train: use a single Phoenix Down on it. It's undead, so it dies instantly. I've never actually let the thing fight me fair & square.

T.G. Oskar
2010-12-03, 10:11 PM
I only know one strategy for beating the Phantom Train: use a single Phoenix Down on it. It's undead, so it dies instantly. I've never actually let the thing fight me fair & square.

Revivify works as well. But the chances of getting Revivify instead of Phoenix Down are scarce, so might as well use the revival item.

Then again, the train is not THAT tough. Cyan's Retort is pretty powerful at that level, and if you still have Shadow by that, the Shuriken deal quite a lot of damage. AuraBolt/Aura Cannon is also a potent attack. So it's not like you have to cheat to defeat it, though it's a tad tough with the Wheels attack.

al'raith
2010-12-04, 11:15 AM
so I took your suggestion and modified the warforged titan and this is how it came out :smalleek:
http://image57.webshots.com/457/1/28/74/2298128740094786375keSQXG_ph.jpg
Magitek Armor
Huge Construct
HD 12D10 (106 HP)
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares)
Init: -1
AC 25; touch 7; flat-footed 25
(-2 size, -1 Dex, +18 natural)
BAB +9; Grp +26
Attack Claw +16 melee (2D6+9, 19-20/X3), or Kick +16 melee (2D8+9, X3)
Full-Attack 2 Claws +16/+11 melee (2D6+9, 19-20/X3), or Claw +16 melee (2D6+9, 19-20/X3), and Kick +11 melee (2D8+9, X3)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks Magitek Laser +5D6, trample 2d6+13
Special Qualities Construct traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, pilot, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, fire 10, and sonic 10, spell-like abilities
Saves Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +4
Abilities Str 28, Dex 8, Con -, Int -, Wis -, Cha 1
Skills Jump +32
Feats
Environment Any
Organization Solitary, Guard (1-2), or Platoon (1-2 + 4-6 5th level human fighters)
Challenge Rating 10?
Treasure None
Alignment Always Neutral
Advancement 13-24 HD (Huge); 25-48 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment -

A huge war engine forged of interlocking parts stands before you. As it swings two wicked looking claws at you, you catch a glimpse of a malevolent figure above the construct grinning at you.

A typical Magitek Armor stands about 15 feet tall and weigh about 6000 pounds.The first Magitek Armor was made about 20 years ago by the empire. It quickly became the initial shockwave troops in war. No one besides the scientists of the Empire know how the Magitek Armor works. Magitek Armor has no capability whatsoever unless piloted by someone fluent in their usage. An untrained user could make a Knowledge (Engineering) check at DC 25 to rudimently use it.

Combat
Magitek Armor is slow and cumbersome in battle, but their maneuverability is more than made up for by their awesome strength and sheer size. Along with their Magitek Laser, they are fearsome in a fight.

Magitek Laser Once every 1D4+1 rounds, a Magitek Armor can release a beam of light in a 30ft by 10ft line that deals 5D6 pure, destructive damage. Treat this as a ranged touch attack. The reflex save DC for half damage is 16. Using a full round action, the Magitek Armor can change the type of energy the laser emits to cold, electricity, fire, or it's default setting.

Spell-Like Abilities 3/Day Repair Critical Damage and 1/Day Cure Critical Wounds. These are cast at caster level 10.

Construct Traits No Constitution score, Low-light vision, Darkvision out to 60 feet, Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects, Cannot heal damage on their own, but often can be repaired by exposing them to a certain kind of effect (see the creature’s description for details) or through the use of the Craft Construct feat. A construct with the fast healing special quality still benefits from that quality, Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain, Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless), Not at risk of death from massive damage. Immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less, Since it was never alive, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected, Because its body is a mass of unliving matter, a construct is hard to destroy. It gains bonus hit points based on size, as shown on the table, Proficient with its natural weapons only, unless generally humanoid in form, in which case proficient with any weapon mentioned in its entry, Proficient with no armor, Constructs do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Pilot Magitek Armor is only capable of action when a pilot controls it through a cockpit located on top of it. While being piloted, it's Intelligence becomes that of the pilot and it is capable to make use of any combat feats the pilot has as long as the Magitek Armor meets the prerequisites of those feats. The pilot gains improved cover while piloting the Magitek Armor, gaining a +8 AC bonus and a +4 bonus to Reflex saves.

__________________________________________________ _______________

So that's it. How's it look?

Zeta Kai
2010-12-04, 12:36 PM
Revivify works as well. But the chances of getting Revivify instead of Phoenix Down are scarce, so might as well use the revival item.

Then again, the train is not THAT tough. Cyan's Retort is pretty powerful at that level, and if you still have Shadow by that, the Shuriken deal quite a lot of damage. AuraBolt/Aura Cannon is also a potent attack. So it's not like you have to cheat to defeat it, though it's a tad tough with the Wheels attack.

It's not a cheat; the player is doing nothing to circumvent the game's rules, nor them. And it's not a glitch; despite the very glitchy nature of FF6's programming (especially in the earliest American ports), this tactic was likely intentional. It is merely an exploit, taking advantage of an enemy's key weakness to defeat them quickly & easily, with minimal risk.

If this were a fantasy story in another genre, or a scenario in RL, & not a video game where one can save one's progress & roll the dice with PCs' lives, then not using the Phoenix Down tactic would be foolishly reckless, to the point of attempted suicide. While the boss is not very difficult to defeat at that point, given average leveling, it is at least possible to die while facing the train. So for a character to intentionally avoid using a tactic that would dispatch the enemy in one hit is to put himself & his party members at risk of death. If I was a player at a D&D table, & I found out that one of my party members did that to us during a fight with a powerful enemy, then I would consider it an inexcusable betrayal, & rightly so. To do otherwise would be to disregard the risk, which is just as foolish.

wiimanclassic
2010-12-04, 02:25 PM
It's not a cheat; the player is doing nothing to circumvent the game's rules, nor them. And it's not a glitch; despite the very glitchy nature of FF6's programming (especially in the earliest American ports), this tactic was likely intentional. It is merely an exploit, taking advantage of an enemy's key weakness to defeat them quickly & easily, with minimal risk.

If this were a fantasy story in another genre, or a scenario in RL, & not a video game where one can save one's progress & roll the dice with PCs' lives, then not using the Phoenix Down tactic would be foolishly reckless, to the point of attempted suicide. While the boss is not very difficult to defeat at that point, given average leveling, it is at least possible to die while facing the train. So for a character to intentionally avoid using a tactic that would dispatch the enemy in one hit is to put himself & his party members at risk of death. If I was a player at a D&D table, & I found out that one of my party members did that to us during a fight with a powerful enemy, then I would consider it an inexcusable betrayal, & rightly so. To do otherwise would be to disregard the risk, which is just as foolish.

What if he didn't so he could suplex it?

T.G. Oskar
2010-12-04, 03:33 PM
What if he didn't so he could suplex it?

Oh, I've done it. Hence why I mentioned Revivify, which at that moment isn't too useful since what it protects won't happen until very late (the Zombie status), so if you get one or two you can use them against the undead. It's a bit more cost-effective than the Phoenix Down because you can be killed anytime, anywhere.

But I didn't go for Suplex. Notice I said Cyan's Retort/Fang(?) and Sabin's AuraBolt/Aura Cannon. Suplex is cool, but not like the beam which, IIRC, has the Holy property.

And yes, it's an exploit, Zeta, not a cheat. It's roughly the same as the reason why Cable is top tier on Marvel vs. Capcom, or the Final Fantasy II "super-leveled" exploits (note; the exploit, not the bug where you have to press and cancel the Fight or Defend options in battle to get stat increases per battle). That doesn't mean it's no less cooler than actually fighting it; it's a frickin' train, and you're outrunning the train, with a full-armored samurai running at the same speed as a monk and a ninja.

al'raith
2010-12-06, 02:44 PM
Ok since no one commented on the Magitek Armor :smallconfused: I can only assume that it looks all right.....