PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Need help with a Divine Bard

Ruinix
2010-12-02, 10:07 AM
here it goes.

i need a build for a Divine bard ECL 5. divine bard cause there is not cleric or druid or anyone else with cure spells acces.

the rest of the party are.

fey race sorcer
feral human shapreshift ranger
tiefling (infernal one, that it LA+2) rogue.

books allowed. ALL splats + forgotten.

32 point buy.
1 flaw
LA +2 for free.

the party start at lev 5, and planed go to max lev 12-13, so plz no build wich are efective at lev +15, it MUST be efective level by level.

focused in buff and support and ofcourse in social face of the party.

finally. the campaing it will be a dungeon crawl old school hack&slash on the type of "i kick the door and face what ever is inside the room" with some rol on the near by villages for the purpose of get info they need.

go crazy ppl. :D

edit to add.

house rule in wich this divine bard cast with CHA, cause i don't want to force the player to play a cleric or a druid when she want to play a bard and the party need a healer.

JeminiZero
2010-12-02, 10:22 AM
I think I should point out that the Arcane Bards ALSO comes with Cure spells as well. But if you are ruling they no longer suffer from MAD (which is the primary problem for Divine Bards) then it doesn't matter nearly as much.

However since you need a Healer, I should note that Arcane Bards also qualify for the Precocious Apprentice/Touch of Healing trick. In essence, at level 1, they can use Precocious Apprentice to gain Cure Moderate Wounds as a 2nd level spell, and then use that spell to power Touch of Healing. Going the normal route (which is what she would be stuck with for Divine Bard), she would have to wait till level 6 to pull this off (which is when Bards next get a feat after gaining level 2 spells).

Other than that, just aim to optimize Inspire Courage.

Ruinix
2010-12-02, 10:25 AM
the divine bard access to remove disease and other states wich are the party lack and it will be needed.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-12-02, 02:54 PM
You don't need the bard for Cure X spells. They're on the ranger's spell list. Buy a wand. As for remove disease, unless you spend extensive periods of time away from civilization, the 1dX of ability damage each day isn't that bad.

If your DM is using BoVD, I retract my statement about diseases.

With that, you might consider the dragonfire inspiration route. Giving all of your melee buddies several d6's of extra damage on all of their attacks is always helpful.

Fax Celestis
2010-12-02, 03:01 PM
I would see, first off, if your DM will allow homebrew PrCs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9792850&postcount=23).

Secondly, if you forget about Str and Dex, focus on Cha/Wis/Con (in that order), it's doable.

For a free LA+2 template, it is hard to beat Half-Fey for bards. Very hard. Flight, a Cha boost, a bunch of SLAs, and blanket immunity to Enchantment effects.

wormwood
2010-12-02, 03:19 PM
I was recently considering making a healer-type bard. I was gonna go the arcane route, pick up touch of healing (precocious apprentice hadn't occurred to me but it's brilliant), and eventually get arcane disciple to slap the healing domain spells onto my spell list. At higher levels, sublime chord to keep up the spells.

Anywho, arcane disciple might help if you decide to stick with an arcane bard.

Ravens_Wing
2010-12-02, 07:05 PM
Do You Believe in Rock and Roll! Can Music Save your Mortal Soul!
-Don Mclean: The Day The Music Died

That is all. :smalltongue:

Ruinix
2010-12-03, 08:53 AM
thx for the replies.

IM the DM and my player want this bard and need to be the healer of the party.

Kelb, yes BoED is in.
like i said, all books all splats plus all forgotten is allowed.

fax, interesting PrC, i will show it to the player and we take a look together.
about the fey template, she want to be a half dragon so she alredy take the route of dragon fire inspiration.

wormwood, plz explain me the progresion of that sublime chord and arcane disciple, that seams to be the winer.

JonRG
2010-12-03, 09:18 AM
- Arcane Disciple (Complete Divine feat) gives the player access to one of their deity's domain spells as arcane. The healbard would worship a god with the Healing domain and be able to select to the following as arcane spells at level ups.

Healing Domain Spells

1. Cure Light Wounds: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level (max +5).
2. Cure Moderate Wounds: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level (max +10).
3. Cure Serious Wounds: Cures 3d8 damage +1/level (max +15).
4. Cure Critical Wounds: Cures 4d8 damage +1/level (max +20).
5. Cure Light Wounds, Mass: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level (max +25) for many creatures.
6. Heal: Cures 10 points/level of damage, all diseases and mental conditions.
7. Regenerate: Subject’s severed limbs grow back, cures 4d8 damage +1/level (max +35).
8. Cure Critical Wounds, Mass: Cures 4d8 damage +1/level (max +40) for many creatures.
9. Heal, Mass: As heal, but with several subjects.

- Touch of Healing (Complete Champion feat) heals 3 points of damage/level of the highest healing spell available. Good for touch-ups, when the player would rather not waste slots.

- Sublime Chord grants access to 9th level arcane spells at 19th level (better late than never). Which is pretty awesome in and of itself. There's also a song that sets people on fire. :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2010-12-03, 12:42 PM
- Arcane Disciple (Complete Divine feat) gives the player access to one of their deity's domain spells as arcane.

Two things: most of those spells (heal and the 7th, 8th, and 9th spells excluded) are on the bard's list anyway. Plus:

Benefit: Add the chosen domain's spells to your class list of arcane spells. If you have arcane spellcasting ability from more than one class, you must pick which arcane spellcasting ability this feat applies to. Once chosen, this decision cannot be changed for that feat.

You may learn these spells as normal for your class; however, you use Wisdom (rather than the normal ability for your spellcasting) when determining the save DC for the spell. In addition, you must have a Wisdom score equal to 10 + the spell's level in order to prepare or cast a spell gained from this feat.

Each day, you may prepare (or cast, if you cast spells without preparation) a maximum of one of these domains spells of each level.Arcane Disciple is actually a pretty lame feat.

gorfnab
2010-12-03, 02:26 PM
The Combat Medic (HoB) prestige class would get you the spell Heal without having to waste a feat on Arcane Disciple.