PDA

View Full Version : Undetectable Fire support

quiet1mi
2010-12-02, 11:01 AM
So I have the following:

Level 13 Beguiler, Darkstalker, and items that give me continuous hide in plain sight (hide check +38, Move silently +36, so no true sight), and make me undetectable to scent and pass without trace...

All I can think that is left is Life sense, and Joy sense...

From a Gm perspective, if a player invest a lot into being undetectable, how do you engage him in combat? Ignoring him could be dangerous as Level 13 Beguilers can do a lot to support their allies.

If you were another player who has a divine vendetta against this player, how would you make the first move? (He communed with an agent of Hextor and found that I was manipulating the party)

NelKor
2010-12-02, 02:19 PM
Coup de grace him as he sleeps? I dunno, honestly to combat him as a GM toss him into situations where he has to get dangerously close and maybe even risk his stealth, Or toss other stealthers against him. In terms of Divine retribution i'd toss a vampire with Life sense maybe or some other various undead with it.

bloodtide
2010-12-02, 02:34 PM
1)Folks could just attack the area he is in. Say a dagger comes out of an empty room, they could just fill the room with arrows. Plus spells like fireball. Or a breath weapon.

2)Magical trackers to find the character. Take a creature with an already high spot check, say a Avoral Guardinal, and buff it up some. And there are abilities like tremmorsense.

3)Magic that detects life, or thoughts or a race or such. And all the powerful divinations.

Tyndmyr
2010-12-02, 02:42 PM
Voidsense?

But yeah, ignore him in many combats. Be careful not to ignore his investments in this area too much.

nedz
2010-12-02, 03:08 PM
Use NPCs like Rangers and Scouts.

Or Monsters with similiar abilities.

Not too often though, or they will take it badly.

Person_Man
2010-12-02, 03:39 PM
I'd let him get away with it unless it's thematically appropriate for him not too. Plenty of enemies (especially boss enemies) can have the high Spot or Listen checks necessary to locate him. A simple Item Familiar focused on Spot should take care of it, as can many Skill based builds. There are also environmental hazards, like traps, weather, and terrain, that he can trip on his own if he's not being careful.

Also, I highly discourage all Player vs. Player anger/conflict/vendettas. All too often people end up taking it too personally. If "it's what my character would do" then you need to play a different character.

Last Laugh
2010-12-02, 03:44 PM
1)Folks could just attack the area he is in. Say a dagger comes out of an empty room, they could just fill the room with arrows. Plus spells like fireball. Or a breath weapon.

2)Magical trackers to find the character. Take a creature with an already high spot check, say a Avoral Guardinal, and buff it up some. And there are abilities like tremmorsense.

3)Magic that detects life, or thoughts or a race or such. And all the powerful divinations.

When you hide, creatures with blindsense,
blindsight, scent, or tremorsense must
make a Listen check or a Spot check (whichever DC
is higher) to notice you, just as sighted creatures would make
Spot checks to detect you.

Mindsight could find you as well. Wide AoE spells can still hurt, and glitterdust shuts you down if they can land it. (so your only weakness is a wizard -,-)

Edit: This is kinda silly, but make sure your DM is alright with you taking Darkstalker, I explained what it did to my DM, he nodded his head and said "I'll have to come up with a way around that". little did I know that every creature in his campaign had touchsight from there on out.

Thiyr
2010-12-02, 03:45 PM
I'd let him get away with it unless it's thematically appropriate for him not too. Plenty of enemies (especially boss enemies) can have the high Spot or Listen checks necessary to locate him. A simple Item Familiar focused on Spot should take care of it, as can many Skill based builds. There are also environmental hazards, like traps, weather, and terrain, that he can trip on his own if he's not being careful.

Also, I highly discourage all Player vs. Player anger/conflict/vendettas. All too often people end up taking it too personally. If "it's what my character would do" then you need to play a different character.

I agree that not all enemies should beat it, but those who it makes sense to have beat it should be capable of doing so. I am of the opinion that no trick should solve everything, but no (reasonable) trick should never work, either (so long as situations making it useful aren't contrived).

That said, I disagree on the PvP depending on the group. If PvP is common and/or pre-discussed, then it can be really entertaining. My group was actually disappointed as a whole when tensions that some of us -built into the party- never managed to come to a head due to pragmatism on the part of the characters.