View Full Version : Initiative increasing item?

mootoall
2010-12-02, 11:47 AM
Just like it says on the tin. Pretty much any 3.5 source allowed. If it doesn't exist, then what would the cost for it be? I imagine something with Nerveskitter on it ...

Escheton
2010-12-02, 11:49 AM
Continue effect nerveskitter item.
Warning enchantment on weapon, armorspikes work well
Eager? enchantment on weapon, gauntlets work well.

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-02, 11:52 AM
Gloves of Dexterity will increase your initiative.

Reynard
2010-12-02, 11:52 AM
Continue effect nerveskitter item.

Not possible, I think. An item that with X uses per day of Nerveskitter wouldn't cost much, though.

OP: Any item that boosts Dex would do it.

AmberVael
2010-12-02, 11:53 AM
As if it weren't awesome enough as is, a Belt of Battle from the magic item compendium gives a +2 competence bonus on initiative.

Grelna the Blue
2010-12-02, 12:01 PM
You were probably assuming this as a given, but any item that increases Dexterity will increase Initiative as a secondary effect. And then here are a few others:

Haste potion

Boots of Speed

Any weapon with the Burning enhancement from Eberron (+2 to Initiative if held at the start of combat, + extra fire damage)

Rod of Alertness

Bracers of the Blinding Strike (Magic of Faerūn)

Dragonfly Medallion (Arms and Equipment Guide)

hydraa
2010-12-02, 12:07 PM
The spell shock and awe is not a initiative increasing item but effectively does the same thing. It imposes a -10 penalty to the targets initative, so you can umd a scroll or wand of it

hydraa
2010-12-02, 12:10 PM
Sandals of the vagabond - Complete Champion +2 luck to initiative

Fouredged Sword
2010-12-02, 12:14 PM
The dmg has item makeing rules that allow for an item to grant a feat. I am away from book, but an item could be priced for granting improved initiative, then backtracked to the formula (bonus)^2*constant = price. You need dm aproval, as for all custom magic items, but it wouldn't be a game breaker.

I would allow it as a dm. I find it more elegant than a crazy enchanted piece of ammo.

mootoall
2010-12-02, 12:49 PM
Heh, of course Eberron has the items I'm looking for. Thanks guys!

Darrin
2010-12-02, 01:42 PM
Spiked buckler +1 or armor spikes +1 with the Warning property (+1 enhancement: 8325 GP or 8350 GP. Provides +5 insight bonus on initiative checks.

You can also add the Eager property (another +1 enhancement) to your spikes or another weapon for a Quickdraw effect and a +2 untyped bonus on initiative checks.

A wand chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape) + wand of nerveskitter (750 GP) can be added to any weapon or shield.

Greenish
2010-12-02, 01:44 PM
A wand chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape) + wand of nerveskitter (750 GP) can be added to any weapon or shield.Well, not to any weapon, if has to have a grip or a shaft big enough for the chamber, so no chambers for spiked chains. :smalltongue:

Escheton
2010-12-02, 02:15 PM
Feats are usually priced at 10k
Also, thats an unnamed bonus, adding morale, insight etc bonuses to init will be cheaper then 1 massive unnamed bonus item, the combo seems rather sweet however.

dextercorvia
2010-12-02, 02:18 PM
Well, not to any weapon, if has to have a grip or a shaft big enough for the chamber, so no chambers for spiked chains. :smalltongue:

Huh. I always pictured spiked chains as having a short handle to make using them easier -- kind of like a chain heavy flail.

Greenish
2010-12-02, 02:41 PM
Huh. I always pictured spiked chains as having a short handle to make using them easier -- kind of like a chain heavy flail.Well, Spiked Chain has many interpretations, but it's specifically called out as not suitable for a wand chamber (or other weapon modifications of that section) in Dungeonscape.

mootoall
2010-12-02, 03:43 PM
Well, Spiked Chain has many interpretations, but it's specifically called out as not suitable for a wand chamber (or other weapon modifications of that section) in Dungeonscape.

Probably because Rich watches with horror the things we do with spiked chains, and didn't want them more abusable :smalltongue:

Greenish
2010-12-02, 04:21 PM
Probably because Rich watches with horror the things we do with spiked chains, and didn't want them more abusable :smalltongue:Hmm, the other weapon called as an example of un-chamberable was the sling…

…Halfling with a pebble? :smallconfused: