PDA

View Full Version : [NEXUS] OOC VII: Where sniper cats greet you at the entrance

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Maxios
2010-12-02, 12:45 PM
Due to general agreement between people on both sides of the line, TOWN and ACRO have been merged. Thus, all threads which previously would have fallen in once category or another, should now be tagged [NEXUS].

LONG LIVE THE NEXUS!

:wink:

So, what is Nexus?
Well, the Nexus itself is like a rift, a single, brilliant point where all the universes in this strange thing we call 'reality' meet. Traveling to, from, and between any world or cosmology is theoretically possible here, and the Nexus itself seems to encourage this happening, often sucking beings and locations out of other universes at random, and dumping them on the world that lies at its center. It was not always like this, however. Once there were two worlds at the Nexus' heart, separate and distinct, though somewhat similar in ways. Similar enough that they slowly and eventually merged, so that only one remained. Here in this world the Nexus' influence reigns supreme, and as such the world has defied almost all attempts at classification. Here, knights of old may engage with Jedi knights. Gleaming spaceships land in Dark Age hamlets. Cowboys and samurai quest together to find holy sandwich boxes. And in the heavens above, Xi Wangmu and the Flying Spaghetti Monster meet every Woden's Day to play bowls with Pelor (it gets pretty epic). Here the possibilities are endless, and the universe without rules (except the Forum Rules, and the general FFRP rules, and the Individual Thread Rules, and oh whatever). Welcome to Nexus. Fun is had here.

Major Locales

For an endless world that defies all logic and classification, Nexus can be pretty darn consistent at times. As such, several locations have survived the test of time, remaining (somewhat) constant amidst the chaos of the rest of the world.

Town - At the heart of the Nexus lies the city-state of Town. Self-governed by an elected council, Town can most accurately be described as a city's planner's worst nightmare. A sump of urban madness, here spires of glass and steel can be seen next to Ancient Babylonian slum. Where Hellenistic Temples co-exist with Gothic Cathedrals and the odd Oriental Pagoda. Where crumbling, zombie infested crypts lie untouched in the middle of verdant parkland. It's craaaaaazy. It's Town.

Inside - A sister city to Town, the City of Inside is less chaotic than its close relative. Inside mostly resembles a modern city, with high-rise buildings and apartments, alleyways and roads, though the odd Demonic Monument can still be seen rising up above the surrounding suburb, teeming with dark cultists. Inside is the current seat of the Acronymian Empire, which controls much of the surrounding area.

Outside - If you ain't Inside (or in Town), you're OUTSIDE! :smallamused: Simple as that. Outside is a meta-thread for all those wildernessy type areas that don't merit their own threads, be it wood or lake or tiny shack.

ACRONYMS - Home to adventurers, these complexes provide headquarters and occasionally living space for like-minded Player Characters. Invariably equipped with cheesy names, these structures provide a place for their various members to fight crime, cause chaos, or have kinky lesbian sex. Current Acronyms include:

AMEN - Association for the Malicious, Evil and Nefarious. Evil aligned organization, exists to be EVIL! And sometimes Ebil.
HALO - Heroic, Anti-evil and Lawbreaking Organization. Non-Evil aligned organization, exists to smite wrong-doers.
GLoG - Good League of Good. Good aligned organization, exists to redeem evil-doers.
LANTERN - Lawful Awesome Not-Neutral Truthful Anti-Evil Respectable Nothing Else. Good-Aligned group dedicated to fighting evil and crime of anysort. They also use power rings, and is a supeteam led by Maxios.
NO - Neutralist Oganization. Neutral aligned organization, exists to perform mercenary contracts for other organizations and individuals in the Nexus without taking sides
WATCHTOWER - You Know What? Screw It. Non-aligned aligned organization. Exists to destroy threats to Nexus, whatever form they may take.
SAINT - Society of Assassins, Infiltrators, Ninja, and Terrorists. Assasin's guild, located in Riverside.

The Taverns
What kind of vaguely DnDesque adventurer would you be if you didn't visit one of these places at least once? The various Taverns, Grills, Hotels, Cantinas and Restaurant provide meeting places for the Player Characters, areas for quest givers to stand mysteriously in, and also places for people to eat and spend the money they seem to have infinite amounts of. Though there are a vast number of such places in Nexus, some with their own thread and some without, throughout history three major hubs have existed, without which Nexus as we know it wouldn't exist. The Dancing Fox Inn, which is located in Town. Taverna Generica, which is located near Inside. And Trog's Tavern, which is located, maddeningly enough, in Town and Inside at the same time. There is also the Black Dragon's Den, it's located roughly between the docks and the slums of Inside, and is the local hive of scum and villany.

Current Events in the Nexus (will update)

-Wenomir is hosting the Nexus Battle Royale (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177207), a huge martial arts event
-Thanksmasnewyearskwanzaakkah (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177579) is currently being celebrated by various people across the Nexus
-The mage Mercury, the Nexus' most hated person, is now dead.

Nexus Character Directory (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8624672#post8624672)

Maxios
2010-12-02, 12:47 PM
I repeat, LANTERN really, really needs background checks. :smalltongue:

They sometimes do background checks on their members. They also have samples of their DNA in the event a member loses their arm, so they can clone a new one.
Or if they turn to the dark side and need a clone army

happyturtle
2010-12-02, 12:52 PM
Detect Evil's a bit interesting actually. What does it do on a non-Dnd character, from a world where alignment isn't objective. I would never have Raz show up on any alignment scan, because he's not a magical evil being, and from a world based loosely on the real one.

Alignment detection is like anything else. You 'attempt' to detect someone's alignment, and it's up to them to say whether or not you can get a reading on them and what that reading says.

I've gone away from it myself, with most of my characters being various shades of gray. If someone tried to detect their alignment, I'd probably have it based on their current intentions, or else give no reading at all.

"I cast detect evil"

"My character is thinking of eating a sandwich. Neutral Hungry."

Lix Lorn
2010-12-02, 12:52 PM
Ooh! Do that! Do that!

I'd say that alignment detectors would work off the target's perception of themself.

Haruki-kun
2010-12-02, 12:53 PM
Alignment detection is like anything else. You 'attempt' to detect someone's alignment, and it's up to them to say whether or not you can get a reading on them and what that reading says.

I've gone away from it myself, with most of my characters being various shades of gray. If someone tried to detect their alignment, I'd probably have it based on their current intentions, or else give no reading at all.

"I cast detect evil"

Pretty much that.

EDIT: And what I said in theprevious thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9880267&postcount=1477)

Maxios
2010-12-02, 12:54 PM
Ooh! Do that! Do that!

I'd say that alignment detectors would work off the target's perception of themself.

That's what I was thinking. Though they may not go with the evil clone army (good-aligned orginization and all)

Mina Kobold
2010-12-02, 12:55 PM

"I cast detect evil"

This makes me want my character (Who I've named Lewis, progress!) to end up in LANTERN just to make up weird stuff when they to scan him :smalltongue:

Sort of makes sense too, as he will be based on English folklore. That stuff is weird @_O

MPG
2010-12-02, 12:55 PM
Sounds pretty solid. Just remember not to pick fights with magical characters too often, for obvious reasons.

Thanks, and I'll keep the actual fighting to a minimum. If he sees magic use with blaitant disregaurd for the natural order of things, that mage'll get a supreme talking to first.

Project_Mayhem
2010-12-02, 12:58 PM
Cool - Out of all my characters, only Alex would ping as evil. Cause of 10 centuries of murder and torture and being a vampire

Morty
2010-12-02, 12:59 PM
Thanks, and I'll keep the actual fighting to a minimum. If he sees magic use with blaitant disregaurd for the natural order of things, that mage'll get a supreme talking to first.

Sounds good. Such character can fit... pretty much anywhere, really.

Gullara
They sometimes do background checks on their members. They also have samples of their DNA in the event a member loses their arm, so they can clone a new one.

So incase to want to be AMEN wannabes? :smalltongue:

And on the topic of detect evil scans at the door of LANTERN, Nite isn't actually evil.

Or maybe he is.

Except for that one time, but then he did that.

But what about that thing.

Oh right that.

aka alignment scans don't work.

Darklord Bright
I'll be out for a little bit soon, but when I come back later today I'll try to get Trix to the LANTERNs. I'm actually Inking the changes to her outfit to suit the orange ring for kicks.

Maxios
2010-12-02, 01:01 PM
This makes me want my character (Who I've named Lewis, progress!) to end up in LANTERN just to make up weird stuff when they to scan him :smalltongue:

Sort of makes sense too, as he will be based on English folklore. That stuff is weird @_O

That'd be interesting, to say the least.

Darklord: Great!

Also, notice anything different in the Locales section in the first post?

Gullara
2010-12-02, 01:03 PM
Also, notice anything different in the Locales section in the first post?

You're taking shots at HALO like pretty much everybody else:smalltongue:

Morty
2010-12-02, 01:06 PM
You're taking shots at HALO like pretty much everybody else:smalltongue:

Indeed. Which isn't very nice.

Artemis97
2010-12-02, 01:06 PM
Hey, Maxios, could you add the Black Dragon's Den under the Taverns section? It's located roughly between the docks and the slums Inside and is the local hive of scum and villany.

Thanks.

Haruki-kun
2010-12-02, 01:09 PM
LANTERN - Lawful Awesome Not-Neutral Truthful Anti-Evil Respectable Nothing Else. Good-Aligned group dedicated to filling HALO's void in fighting evil and crime of anysort. Led by Maxios.

That is not polite. Please change it. :smallannoyed:

Maxios
2010-12-02, 01:12 PM
It wasn't a shot actually. It was because HALO never really fights evil, so Maxios (IC) formed LANTERN to fill the void. I have nothing against HALO, my first character was specifficaly created to join HALO.

Also, I'll add SAINT to the groups section, and The Black Dragon's Den

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 01:13 PM
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/1604/trixlantern.png
I fiddled around in inkscape and made the colour changes. It actually looks pretty good on her. I look forward to making these colours canon.

Gullara
2010-12-02, 01:14 PM
Also, I'll add SAINT to the groups section, and The Black Dragon's Den

You're missing PACK as well.

Maxios
2010-12-02, 01:15 PM
Darklord Bright: That's a pretty cool drawing of your character.

RPGs4me: Got it. I'll do SAINT right now, then I'll do PACK

Lix Lorn
2010-12-02, 01:15 PM
...Say, Darklord, how d'ya think Anathema would get on around here?

Morty
2010-12-02, 01:17 PM
On another note, the OP of Nexus Battle Royale is coming up... I figured I shouldn't wait longer.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 01:17 PM
...Say, Darklord, how d'ya think Anathema would get on around here?

I'm not sure wanton slaughter of demons would really jive with this place. Well, not that she'd kill non-DLE demons, really. Which actually kinda removes most of her motivation and she wouldn't do a whole lot.

Gullara
2010-12-02, 01:20 PM
On another note, the OP of Nexus Battle Royale is coming up... I figured I shouldn't wait longer.

Hmm, Nite isn't in any position to take part, but I could use Orak.

Is it generally respectable to plotclone characters while there in plots? I'm thinking by the name "plotclone" that's exactly the point, but I wanted to make sure.

Morty
2010-12-02, 01:21 PM
Hmm, Nite isn't in any position to take part, but I could use Orak.

Is it generally respectable to plotclone characters while there in plots? I'm thinking by the name "plotclone" that's exactly the point, but I wanted to make sure.

Definetly. The whole thing was invented, IIRC, so characters don't have to be stuck in one place when other players are deadtimed.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 01:23 PM
You know, for a really long time I've been misreading that as "Plotcone" and wondering why everyone was turning into pylons.

EleventhHour
2010-12-02, 01:24 PM
You know, for a really long time I've been misreading that as "Plotcone" and wondering why everyone was turning into pylons.

CYLONS?! WHERE?!

...Oh, Pylon. It's just the Protoss. Phew.

Maxios
I just put the Current Events section in the first post. Does anyone want an event added to it? Also, SAINT is now in the group section

Darklord Bright
CYLONS?! WHERE?!

...Oh, Pylon. It's just the Protoss. Phew.

Yeah, we don't have enough minerals for cylons yet.

happyturtle
2010-12-02, 01:25 PM
That is not polite. Please change it. :smallannoyed:

Seconded. Remove the reference to HALO in the LANTERN description. Lantern isn't the anti-HALO. They're a superhero team based on power rings.

Lix Lorn
2010-12-02, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure wanton slaughter of demons would really jive with this place. Well, not that she'd kill non-DLE demons, really. Which actually kinda removes most of her motivation and she wouldn't do a whole lot.
...you're right. DXD Shame. I liked her.

The Bushranger
2010-12-02, 01:26 PM
Seconded. Remove the reference to HALO in the LANTERN description. Lantern isn't the anti-HALO. They're a superhero team based on power rings.

Aaaaaaand thirded.
*puts on Member Emeritus hat of HALO, grumps*

...you know, since Masato is barely around anymore, I think I'm the last remaning person in HALO who was around when HALO was founded. (Well, I joined on day 2, but that's close enough :smalltongue:).

Maxios
2010-12-02, 01:27 PM

Okay, I edited it.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 01:29 PM
...you're right. DXD Shame. I liked her.

She was my homegirl, yo.

Morty
2010-12-02, 01:29 PM
While you're at it, change NO's description. It doesn't really arbitrate between anyone anymore. Instead, it should be something like this:
"Neutral aligned organization, exists to perform mercenary contracts for other organizations and individuals in the Nexus without taking sides."

Haruki-kun
2010-12-02, 01:31 PM
Aaaaaaand thirded.
*puts on Member Emeritus hat of HALO, grumps*

...you know, since Masato is barely around anymore, I think I'm the last remaning person in HALO who was around when HALO was founded. (Well, I joined on day 2, but that's close enough :smalltongue:).

Want me to drop by? I do beat you by one day. :smallwink:

happyturtle
2010-12-02, 01:31 PM
Also, in future, if anyone wants to edit the OP of an established thread, it's a good idea to post a draft first for discussion.

Lix Lorn
2010-12-02, 01:32 PM
She was my homegirl, yo.
Hey, I asked her out and made her sweatdrop! :smalltongue:

Maxios
2010-12-02, 01:34 PM
Also, in future, if anyone wants to edit the OP of an established thread, it's a good idea to post a draft first for discussion.

Alright, I'm going to put PACK in the groups section. Also, does anybody want an event added to the current events section of the OP?

Gullara
2010-12-02, 01:36 PM
Alright, I'm going to put PACK in the groups section. Also, does anybody want an event added to the current events section of the OP?

Maybe post a link for the battle royale.

The Bushranger
2010-12-02, 01:38 PM
Want me to drop by? I do beat you by one day. :smallwink:

Pfft, technicalities. :smalltongue:

Maxios
2010-12-02, 01:38 PM
Maybe post a link for the battle royale.

Alright, I'll do that right now

Morty
2010-12-02, 02:37 PM
Well everybody, Nexus Battle Royale is now officially open. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177207)

happyturtle
2010-12-02, 04:14 PM
Should we use the ooc thread for organizing Battle Royale fight partners?

If so, I'm looking for another novice to pair up with Lauretta. She fights with bolas.

billtodamax
2010-12-02, 04:19 PM
Oh, I'd be happy to play NPCs in the Battle Royale if necessary.

Morty
2010-12-02, 04:20 PM
I'd like to use the opportunity to remind everyone that NBR is also a place for untrained characters to train. I imagine a lot of NPCs will do that, but PCs are also welcome.

Gullara
2010-12-02, 04:21 PM
Should we use the ooc thread for organizing Battle Royale fight partners?

If so, I'm looking for another novice to pair up with Lauretta. She fights with bolas.

Sounds like a good idea.

I need an experienced fighter to fight with Orak. Either with weapons or unarmed.

Rae Artemi
2010-12-02, 04:23 PM
Sounds like a good idea.

I need an experienced fighter to fight with Orak. Either with weapons or unarmed.

Len is quite experienced with his weapons. Just one question, does the rifle actually shoot bullets?

ThirdEmperor
2010-12-02, 04:24 PM
So I read the essay three times over, thought about my chaacters, and this is what I have to say: *clears throat*

Yeah, Mercury's overpowered by the fact he owns a death-trap mansion that's almost imposible to defeat. It is worth noting however that I had him build said mansion to give him a fair chance at fighting the swarm of angry PCs, and that I feel I was justified in doing so, as he almost lost anyway an said swarm of PCs did appear. (Eight PCs versus one) I had planned on nerfing the mansion afterwards, and did so, as all his deathtraps were one shots anyway. As for Chezzy, I'm would like some clarification on exactly how he's OP, as he's lost every fight he's ever been in.

Maxios
2010-12-02, 04:24 PM
Sounds like a good idea.

Maxios could fight him, but only if Maxios could use an energy sword he always keeps with him.

Gullara
2010-12-02, 04:25 PM
Len is quite experienced with his weapons. Just one question, does the rifle actually shoot bullets?

It does, but it is a simple matter for him to disable it. Which is what he intends to do.

Rae Artemi
2010-12-02, 04:28 PM
It does, but it is a simple matter for him to disable it. Which is what he intends to do.

Oh, that's not entirely necessary. Len's specialty is taking out gun users, but if it shot an energy charge, his main strategy would be pretty much useless.

Gullara
2010-12-02, 04:29 PM
Oh, that's not entirely necessary. Len's specialty is taking out gun users, but if it shot an energy charge, his main strategy would be pretty much useless.

It's a martial arts tournament right? So hand to hand it is. He's better in close combat anyway.

MPG
2010-12-02, 04:32 PM
Maxios, Kordson would like to challenge you, fist fight. You win, Kordson goes to LANTERN HQ to sign up officially. Kordson wins Maxios builds a ground level HQ.

((I'm planning on losing :smallwink:))

Maxios
2010-12-02, 04:33 PM
Maxios, Kordson would like to challenge you, fist fight. You win, Kordson goes to LANTERN HQ to sign up officially. Kordson wins Maxios builds a ground level HQ.

((I'm planning on losing :smallwink:))

Great! Maxios will accept the challenge!

Rae Artemi
2010-12-02, 04:33 PM
It's a martial arts tournament right? So hand to hand it is. He's better in close combat anyway.

Some practitioners of Gun Kata would probably beg to differ, but I'll let it rest. Len hasn't had a good one on one fight without any tricks in a while* anyway.

*since before I started playing him

Gullara
2010-12-02, 04:36 PM
Some practitioners of Gun Kata would probably beg to differ, but I'll let it rest. Len hasn't had a good one on one fight without any tricks in a while* anyway.

*since before I started playing him

:smalltongue: Ok. I guess we just start fighting then? It's not very organized is it?:smallamused:

Maxios
2010-12-02, 04:37 PM
One question MPG: When does the battle start?

TechnoScrabble
2010-12-02, 04:38 PM
A question:
Where would I post my application for PACK?

Rae Artemi
2010-12-02, 04:38 PM
:smalltongue: Ok. I guess we just start fighting then? It's not very organized is it?:smallamused:

I'm not sure. Len's not done warming up yet, in any case, so we should probably wait for that.

Gullara
2010-12-02, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure. Len's not done warming up yet, in any case, so we should probably wait for that.

Too late, of course you can tell Orak all that in character:smalltongue:

MPG
2010-12-02, 04:42 PM
One question MPG: When does the battle start?

Don't know. If nobody is using the main arena Kordson will officially challenge you soon

Beans
2010-12-02, 04:43 PM
So I read the essay three times over, thought about my chaacters, and this is what I have to say: *clears throat*

Yeah, Mercury's overpowered by the fact he owns a death-trap mansion that's almost imposible to defeat. It is worth noting however that I had him build said mansion to give him a fair chance at fighting the swarm of angry PCs, and that I feel I was justified in doing so, as he almost lost anyway an said swarm of PCs did appear. (Eight PCs versus one) I had planned on nerfing the mansion afterwards, and did so, as all his deathtraps were one shots anyway. As for Chezzy, I'm would like some clarification on exactly how he's OP, as he's lost every fight he's ever been in.
Ahem.
OP-status is not just confined to combat, mah boi.
Chez's reality-warping (or whatever they are) powers are excessive. His demeanor is one common among OP characters as well.

Morty
2010-12-02, 04:44 PM

Right. On the topic of Mercury: withstanding eight PCs is no small feat, you know. Especially fairly strong ones. And besides, he brought them on himself. So it's the kind of thing Happy mentioned - you provoke overpowered fights. When people see Mercury fend off 8 PCs at once, they'll be discouraged from interacting with him. Like my goblin burglars.
As for Chezzy - well, Beans said it best.

happyturtle
2010-12-02, 04:46 PM

How do you define 'losing a fight'?

The most recent example was the fight in Inside after burning down the soup kitchen. He provoked the fight with Alyshya by killing people around her and insisting that nothing she could do could stop him. And guess what? He was right. She ended up fleeing the fight, and he didn't even let her flee - just kept teleporting and attacking her over and over again.

Yeah, eventually he got shot up by someone, but you then immediately brought in someone to rez him. Which he no doubt knew would happen.

So basically - he accomplished his goal of terrorizing Inside, murdering civilians, and running off the heroes. And once he's rezzed, he'll do that sort of thing again. That doesn't look like anything Alyshya can point to later and say 'Yay! I won that fight!'

But regardless of win or lose, the main reason I think he's overpowered is that teleporting at will is just too friggin powerful. Just plain teleporting, over and over in the same fight without there being any casting time or limit on number of uses or anything is overpowered. And that's before adding in his super 'eat anything' power, and I won't even touch the stomach dimension thing, or the rings, and whatever other powers he has.

And I've mentioned before that high power + extreme combativeness is also a bad combination. It would be one thing if he was a boss monster with all those powers, and the heroes came to him, but Chez goes into threads and starts fights. And unless the PC you started a fight with happens to be high power level too, they don't have a chance.

My advice is to have him depowered when he's resurrected, with limits on the teleportation. Maybe other people can offer more specific suggestions on the other powers he has.

@^: Yes, like Morty said, a PC that can fight off 8 other PCs is sort of, by definition, overpowered x 8. :smalltongue:

Reinholdt
2010-12-02, 04:48 PM
A question:
Where would I post my application for PACK?

You have a bad habit of ending up at the bottom of pages, you know that? :smalltongue:

Just post the application in PACK and presume it was accepted off-screen.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-12-02, 04:53 PM
My advice is to have him depowered when he's resurrected, with limits on the teleportation. Maybe other people can offer more specific suggestions on the other powers he has.

Another possibility, since he seems to be able to pull out whatever weapon he wants, whenever he wants, is to limit that.

Maybe limit how many he can pull out in a day, or at a time, or which ones.

Beans
2010-12-02, 04:58 PM
It is important to note that the state of being overpowered is not just restricted to individual combat. The majority of main characters in the Town have another way to be the best: resources.
Imagine "resources" less as "material stuff" and more as "abilities". Sure, Chez has died a billion times... but TE, it's because you have him needlessly provoke fights and then it's TELEPORT TELEPORT TELEPORT TELEPORT TELEPORT TELEPORT TELEPORT TELEPORT TELEPORT TELEPORT TELEPORT TELEPORT TELEPORT TELEPORT TELEPORT.
TELEPORT TELEPORT.
TELEPORT.

For which reason I am, IC, ignoring any mention of Chez. I'm not getting pulled into anything involving him, as it would be a detriment to myself, you, and possibly others.

Chez needs to be severely depowered. Of all the rusty nails embedded in this board, the biggest and nastiest is the bloody 'porting.
Ways it could be limited:

Casting time: requires time to fire up the spell.
Cooldown time: after porting, must wait an amount of time before doing it again.
Post-Port Vulnerability: Whether it's simply taking hits harder just after porting, disorientation after porting, whatever.
Range limit: Cannot exceed a certain distance in teleportation.
Fatigue: Teleporting tires him.

Someone else can type up limits for the second Big Rusty Nail that is his hammerspace arsenal.
*goes back to reading Fuffle's story dealio. Is good.*

KerfuffleMach2
2010-12-02, 05:00 PM
*goes back to reading Fuffle's story dealio. Is good.*

Yay! Good review!

Ashen Lilies
2010-12-02, 06:26 PM
Y'know, back in my day (which was in June or July when I joined the Nexus) most characters started in a group, normally HALO

And y'know, in my day (which was 2 years ago in August when I joined GLoG (there was no such thing as Nexus, Acro or even FFRP, only the Town)) we didn't have no taverns, so everyone was either a Townie or had to join an organization by default since ther was no other place to go. People these days have it easy. :smallwink:
*leans on Maxios' head, smoking pipe and grumbling about the non-Acro that once was*

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 06:46 PM
I will agree that Chez is OP. I recently read the Lantern thread and saw a bit of:

Character 1: *Attempts to do something*
Chez: *Teleports away, rendering all attempts to act against anything he does useless*

Edit: Oh, right, the Lantern thread. Should I just have Trix turn up in the thread by stowing away on a supply ship of some sort and asking to join?

Gullara
2010-12-02, 06:48 PM
Edit: Oh, right, the Lantern thread. Should I just have Trix turn up in the thread by stowing away on a supply ship of some sort and asking to join?

I imagine that would be fine. I think you'd be the first person to actually explain how you got up their:smalltongue:

Maxios
2010-12-02, 06:48 PM
I will agree that Chez is OP. I recently read the Lantern thread and saw a bit of:

Character 1: *Attempts to do something*
Chez: *Teleports away, rendering all attempts to act against anything he does useless*

Sure! There are also pods in Inside that can take one to the HQ as well

To Kid Kris: "Gah! What are you doing on my head!?!" *attempts to shake Kid Kris off*

Gullara
2010-12-02, 06:49 PM
Sure! There are also pods in Inside that can take one to the HQ as well

:smallconfused:I didn't know about that.

We'll pretend I did:smalltongue:

AmberVael
2010-12-02, 06:50 PM
And y'know, in my day (which was 2 years ago in August when I joined GLoG (there was no such thing as Nexus, Acro or even FFRP, only the Town)) we didn't have no taverns, so everyone was either a Townie or had to join an organization by default since ther was no other place to go. People these days have it easy. :smallwink:
*leans on Maxios' head, smoking pipe and grumbling about the non-Acro that once was*

Back in my day, we didn't have a fancy smancy forum! We had threads in the SMBG area, and we dealt with it! And when we got our own subforum, it was all crazy and would drop off for hours and even days at a time! I remember when we had to go without roleplaying for a week!
When we really wanted to roleplay, we had to make our own forum! Offsite!
And we liked it!
*shakes a stick at the crazy youngsters on her lawn*

Maxios
2010-12-02, 06:51 PM
:smallconfused:I didn't know about that.

We'll pretend I did:smalltongue:

Alrighty then. Mr. Cat teleported into HQ I think, Rae flew up, and Maxios used a pod. How Krystal, the Cool Kid, that one PC who is just sitting in the living that belongs to IStacey, Pringle, Andy, Hayden, and the others got up there is still a mystery

Edit: Wait, can you give me a link to these other forums?

Gullara
2010-12-02, 06:52 PM
Alrighty then. Mr. Cat teleported into HQ I think, Rae flew up, and Maxios used a pod. How Krystal, the Cool Kid, that one PC who is just sitting in the living that belongs to IStacey, Pringle, Andy, Hayden, and the others got up there is still a mystery

Edit: Wait, can you give me a link to these other forums?

And how Nite got there is a mystery to me:smalltongue:

Maxios
2010-12-02, 06:56 PM

Perhaps he used a pod or used a teleporter device?

Gullara
2010-12-02, 06:57 PM
Perhaps he used a pod or used a teleporter device?

Details details:smallbiggrin:

Rae Artemi

Obviously he jumped. I mean, it's not like he had to worry about suffocation.

Maxios
Details details:smallbiggrin:

Indeed :smallcool:

Rae: That is a plausible theory :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-12-02, 06:58 PM
Obviously he jumped. I mean, it's not like he had to worry about suffocation.

Well yes, but that would be quite the jump.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 06:59 PM
I had to explain how she was floating outside their base door in space by saying there was a pocket of air there. Probably on the inside of the forcefield/shield around the base.

Maxios
2010-12-02, 07:00 PM
I had to explain how she was floating outside their base door in space by saying there was a pocket of air there. Probably on the inside of the forcefield/shield around the base.

That could make sense. Maxios did put an atmosphere around the HQ, which could explain it

Haruki-kun
2010-12-02, 07:02 PM

Back in my day no one was able to say "Back in my day" about anything Acro-related.

:smallwink:

Reinholdt
2010-12-02, 07:04 PM
Back in my day we had dial up and we LIKED it.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 07:05 PM
Back in my day, we walked ten miles barefoot to school in the snow, uphill, both ways.

horngeek
2010-12-02, 07:08 PM
Back in my day, we didn't have a fancy smancy forum! We had threads in the SMBG area, and we dealt with it! And when we got our own subforum, it was all crazy and would drop off for hours and even days at a time! I remember when we had to go without roleplaying for a week!
When we really wanted to roleplay, we had to make our own forum! Offsite!
And we liked it!
*shakes a stick at the crazy youngsters on her lawn*

VAEL! *GLOMP*

Ooops. Maybe I shouldn't have done that in dragon form. *whistles*

...you've switched to cutting yourself again! D:

VampireRot
2010-12-02, 07:09 PM
Back in my day, we were twice as silly as this.

You heard me! Twice as silly! *cane shaking*

happyturtle
2010-12-02, 07:10 PM

Good gods! Rein's masochism is worse than anyone ever suspected. O.o

Dial up?! *shudders*

Reinholdt
2010-12-02, 07:11 PM
...you've switched to cutting yourself again! D:

Good gods! Rein's masochism is worse than anyone ever suspected. O.o

Dial up?! *shudders*

>>
*whistles innocently*
<<

Earl of Purple
Back in my day, we had decent anti-grav devices instead of rolling around in these 'car' things.

And we could cope with snow without having to cancel everything from education to brace removal. Both of which I had planned to do today but got stopped due to the weather. College should be open, but it's been closed since December started. Since I walk in, that's annoying.

Gullara

Half a year ago I had dial-up and I liked it.

:smalleek: I was so deprived.

ThirdEmperor
2010-12-02, 07:25 PM
See, those are some fair points, instead of just screaming the word "overpowered!" repeatedly. I believe someone said that restricting what items he can summon would be a good place to start, and I actualy did that a while back, he has a set armory of weapons, were anyone to check the last few fights he was in. I think I'll restrict how far he can teleport quickly, and not use it so much in combat. Finally, he isn't as immune to death, as he would seem, every time he dies he picks up yet another insanity. I think he'll speak only in rhymes from now on.

TechnoScrabble
2010-12-02, 07:29 PM
You have a bad habit of ending up at the bottom of pages, you know that? :smalltongue:

Just post the application in PACK and presume it was accepted off-screen.

Thanks, Reinhodlt, you're awesome.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 07:43 PM
I got bored agaiiiin.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1146/scan0001yrg.jpg

Gullara
2010-12-02, 07:50 PM
I got bored agaiiiin.

I like it.

From Inside:

[Erin's Emporium]

Flaming Hawt Human Reinholdt enters here and goes through the store, grabbing up various items. Several vials of holy water, holy bullets, a pair of crosses, stakes, even a few moltov cocktails. Heck, garlic if they have it.

If anything's not there, he doesn't take it.
He then takes it all to the front counter and rings the bell so hard and frequently it might just break.

The proud owner of several fancy new vampires is getting nervous. *cough* *cough*

Reinholdt
2010-12-02, 07:57 PM
From Inside:

The proud owner of several fancy new vampires is getting nervous. *cough* *cough*

*eyes over carefully and sharpens stake*

Gullara
2010-12-02, 07:59 PM

:smalleek:

Conveniently they are all in Inside somewhere. Waiting for Riverview to be set up.

I think Rein might encounter Nite.

The Bushranger
2010-12-02, 08:02 PM
With regard to powerlevels: Just remember, folks, I once had a character who was a demigod.

He got shot. Dead. By a pistol.

(Of course, he then proceeded to self-destruct explosively...but that's another story.)

VampireRot
2010-12-02, 08:02 PM

*hides under bed coffin*

Why do I have the feeling Rot is going to be on fire again very soon? :smallconfused: :smalleek:

Well, I always have that feeling, but this time it's different. :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

happyturtle
2010-12-02, 08:05 PM
Silly Reinholdt, you had a goddess right there! She could have blessed your weapons and water and stuff. :smalltongue:

Reinholdt
2010-12-02, 08:07 PM
Silly Reinholdt, you had a goddess right there! She could have blessed your weapons and water and stuff. :smalltongue:

>>
Reinholdt totally thought of that. I'm sure there's a completely reasonable reason why he didn't do it. Yep.
<<

happyturtle
2010-12-02, 08:12 PM
Vasilisa thought he was going off to hurt himself. :smalltongue: Feel free to think of it when he cools down a bit. She's not going anywhere.

lord pringle
2010-12-02, 08:15 PM
So Rein how will Char leave PACK?

VampireRot
2010-12-02, 08:16 PM
So Rein how will Char leave PACK?

Taxi service? :smallconfused:

They has it. At some point.

ApeofLight
2010-12-02, 08:16 PM
VAAAAEEEELLLL!!!

Come back we miss you!

*shudder* dial up

And I used to walk through the snow uphill both ways to get to school. Well only during the winter/fall season.

lord pringle
2010-12-02, 08:21 PM
Taxi service? :smallconfused:

They has it. At some point.

Char doesn't know where her dad is, she has no phone, or cash. A taxi might not work.

Reinholdt
2010-12-02, 08:28 PM
She can walk away like everyone else does. :smalltongue:

Earl of Purple
2010-12-02, 08:31 PM
Reinholdt, I believe the Earl's Fortress is waiting for you to post.

Only this post has been ninja'd in the Outside thread. Whoops.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 08:37 PM
Hey, what powers has Trix been granted by the lantern ring? If it works the same way as normal Lanterns, I know she can do things like make giant energy fists and stuff, but that's all I know.

lord pringle
2010-12-02, 08:39 PM
Some of Larfleeze's abilities are shared with other Corps: flight, aura projection, and orange light constructs. As a side effect of wielding the orange light, Larfleeze is burdened with an insatiable hunger that is never quelled regardless of how much food he eats.[39] The power of the orange light allows Larfleeze to steal the identities of those he kills, transforming them into an "Orange Lantern" construct.[40] These Orange Lanterns are able to steal the identities of others for Larfleeze in the same way. The orange light also has the power to absorb the energies of other power rings.[41] However, it cannot absorb constructs produced by violet or blue power rings.[39] By being in constant contact with his main power battery, Larfleeze has become one with his power source. This allows him to maintain a power level high enough to support an entire Corps of orange light constructs even when separated from it.[42] Larfleeze and his constructs are resistant to magic and the abilities of green power rings, but do not retain the same protection against blue or violet rings.[39][41] The blue light of hope can also nullify his insatiable hunger when he is near a bearer of it. Copied from wiki.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 08:42 PM
So she can make the energy fist things, has protection against energy attacks, and can fly - and apparently is really hungry and can steal identities from people she kills (though, due to the fact that this is Trix, it's unlikely she'll ever do so)?

Gullara
2010-12-02, 08:43 PM
So she can make the energy fist things, has protection against energy attacks, and can fly - and apparently is really hungry and can steal identities from people she kills (though, due to the fact that this is Trix, it's unlikely she'll ever do so)?

But you can only do the basic things without proper training, I believe.

happyturtle
2010-12-02, 08:44 PM
And also, remember you can modify any of that. Trix is your character, so you don't have to stick with comic book canon.

Gullara
2010-12-02, 08:46 PM
And also, remember you can modify any of that. Trix is your character, so you don't have to stick with comic book canon.

*gasp* the canon is law!

Not really. I believe black rings are supposed to corrupt their wearers, but Nite hasn't shown any additional evil tendencies.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 08:46 PM
I'm probably going to stick with the flight, basic energy-construct stuff, and the hunger because the idea that she's always hungry when not around Rae (seeing as he is a blue lantern, which nullifies the hunger) is humorous.

And also because I've totally and accidentally given her some potential power she didn't have before (seeing as she was probably in the low power levels before, and if she trains she could actually even it out to somewhere around the upper C lower B range :smalleek:)

happyturtle
2010-12-02, 08:47 PM
*gasp* the canon is law!

Not really. I believe black rings are supposed to corrupt their wearers, but Nite hasn't shown any additional evil tendencies.

Oh? Then what's with all the murdering people in the slums for their blood? :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-12-02, 08:53 PM
Oh? Then what's with all the murdering people in the slums for their blood? :smalltongue:

I did say not any additional evil tendencies didn't I? :smalltongue:

He doesn't always kill, but I'm making an excuse for Rein to come after him. Well, more of an excuse.

Beans
2010-12-02, 09:14 PM
I got bored agaiiiin.

*adores adores adores*
Also, some people know I'm doing a story-thingy-thing involving I Totally Didn't Rip Off Kingdom Hearts Concepts And Change The Names and also characters I'm using from others with permission. Well, yeah, I am. I'll be putting it on my Tumblr for the sole reason that Tumblr lets me have my dang indents. TAB KEY! Will be linking it for y'all.

MPG
2010-12-02, 09:26 PM
Just letting anybody who cares know that I will be unable to post until sunday, and after that posting will be very limited during the week:smallsigh: sorry but life just gave me a swift kick in the teeth.

:frown: :teardrop:

ThirdEmperor
2010-12-02, 09:30 PM
I am totally not a Kingdom Hearts fan! I deny any and all claims that I memorized the themesong!

VampireRot
2010-12-02, 09:37 PM
I am totally not a Kingdom Hearts fan! I deny any and all claims that I memorized the themesong!

Kingdom Hearts has a themesong? :smallconfused:

Yeah, its cool, but I only played the 2nd game and couldn't even beat it. v.v

Beans
2010-12-02, 09:38 PM
I played easy and beat it.
Anyway, yeah, the story's linked in my sig.

The Bushranger
2010-12-02, 09:42 PM
Aw. Hope things get better for you MPG...

And, DB, that is simply adorable. :smallsmile:

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 09:43 PM
Trix isn't adorable! She's a master thief and spy! She can't be adorable! Lies! LIES I SAY!

Okay, maybe a little.

VampireRot
2010-12-02, 09:46 PM
Trix isn't adorable! She's a master thief and spy! She can't be adorable! Lies! LIES I SAY!

Okay, maybe a little.

*huggles adorable Trix*

>.>
<.<

*maybe eats a bit of blood*

Vampires can't help it. v.v

TechnoScrabble
2010-12-02, 09:47 PM
Guh. I'm bored and there's no people anywhere I have characters.

The Bushranger
2010-12-02, 09:59 PM
That's why...you plotclone! *nodnod* To get where the people is.

McBish
2010-12-02, 10:01 PM
Damn, Vael beat me here with being around longer then me...

Gullara
2010-12-02, 10:01 PM
Or just leave. There's nothing keeping you there is there?

TechnoScrabble
2010-12-02, 10:04 PM
Well, no, but I was having a conversation with something. I gotta go now anyways.

Gullara
2010-12-02, 10:07 PM
Well, no, but I was having a conversation with something. I gotta go now anyways.

Ah right. I remember.

He was just a lowly NPC, you could ditch him:smalltongue:

Terumitsu
2010-12-02, 10:09 PM
Just letting anybody who cares know that I will be unable to post until sunday, and after that posting will be very limited during the week:smallsigh: sorry but life just gave me a swift kick in the teeth.

Awww. Sorry to hear that...

Hope things go better for you than they are now!

Murkus
2010-12-02, 10:11 PM

What Teru said. Best of luck, hope you're back soon.

The Bushranger
2010-12-02, 10:14 PM
...also, bah. I apologise for slowness and tardines to those I'm RPing with, but the muse still hasn't come back. I will be getting to bed earlier from now on though, hopefully more sleep will help.

happyturtle
2010-12-02, 10:18 PM
*pokes Murkus* You left out Xifra in your last AMEN post.

And I'm deadtiming now. Sorry it's in the middle of a fight, TE, but we can wrap it up tomorrow I hope.

Murkus
2010-12-02, 10:20 PM
*pokes Murkus* You left out Xifra in your last AMEN post.

And I'm deadtiming now. Sorry it's in the middle of a fight, TE, but we can wrap it up tomorrow I hope.

I did that last time too. I've been a bit spacy lately. Is it spacy? Or spacey? Do made-up words have proper spelling? Is that a made-up word?

happyturtle
2010-12-02, 10:23 PM
Firefox spellcheck thinks spacey is a word.

It does not, however recognize "Firefox" or "spellcheck".

Anyway, off to bed. *hugs all and poofs*

horngeek
2010-12-02, 10:28 PM

Darn it. I has another character idea...

Anyway. DC! How would the Empire respond to one of its men Exalting in the middle of a fight? Still loyal, just now... well, more powerful.

Yep. That's it.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 10:29 PM
So sorry I keep dumping my Trix-related artses here, but I kinda used inkscape to colour, shade and shrink that previous pic of Trix... Here. (http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4608/trixcolo.png)

Murkus
2010-12-02, 10:30 PM
So sorry I keep dumping my Trix-related artses here, but I kinda used inkscape to colour, shade and shrink that previous pic of Trix... Here. (http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4608/trixcolo.png)

Why apoligize? Kris, and I think maybe one other person, does that from time to time. We likes the arts.

Also, pretty well done. :smallbiggrin:

UncleWolf
2010-12-02, 10:30 PM
I don't know how the Empire would handle it, but I know Vasquez and Mortal Coil would likely throw a fit. :smalltongue:

Then probably turn the guy and the city block around him into glass. >.>

It's the only way to be sure. <.<

/joking

*I think*

horngeek
2010-12-02, 10:32 PM
Also, yes, I'm not even going to deny it anymore, coming up with character ideas is half of the fun for me. :smalltongue:

Terumitsu
2010-12-02, 10:32 PM
Been meaning to ask but.. What exactly is Trix anyway?

Call it curiosity and pardon me if it's been asked before.

ThirdEmperor
2010-12-02, 10:34 PM
Don't worry, deadtiming in the middle of a fight just gives me time to get a couple tanks.:smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-12-02, 10:35 PM

Ooh I like. And no need to apologize.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 10:39 PM
Been meaning to ask but.. What exactly is Trix anyway?

Call it curiosity and pardon me if it's been asked before.

Minor demon from an upper plane of the underworld. I like making demons that don't look clichéd. She may not even be a 'true' demon, and instead some sort of planar creature, but the point is she's from the underworld in at least one cosmology.

Terumitsu
2010-12-02, 10:42 PM
Ah, I see. Nifty!

Cause, for the longest time.. I thought she was an albino teifling... I guess I wasn't too far off...?

Beans
2010-12-02, 10:48 PM
Don't worry, deadtiming in the middle of a fight just gives me time to get a couple tanks.:smalltongue:
Tanks of propane to operate a little portable camping stove. Boil water, pour in some dehydrated chili, and omnom away.
Good choice.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-02, 11:00 PM
I'm actually kinda excited to be getting involved in a little scheming plot here in the NEXUS. I actually kinda feels like I'm starting to become part of things, and it gives Trix a chance to do something memorable :smallbiggrin:

celtois
2010-12-02, 11:56 PM
Depending how long Trix ends up agreeing to do work for The Nightingale the further she will be embroiled in the intrigue and scheming surrounding UNSEEN. Both internal and externally. It should be interesting. :smallamused:

Which leads me to a question I asked last OOC thread does anyone have any other characters who would be really interested in being involved with UNSEEN, I probably have spots for a couple more field agents at the moment in the plan. :smallbiggrin:

ThirdEmperor
2010-12-03, 12:02 AM
Tanks of propane to operate a little portable camping stove. Boil water, pour in some dehydrated chili, and omnom away.
Good choice.

Nonsense! Tanks of water to fill up the portable pool for high seas adventure! Let your guard down and I might actually do this too. :smalltongue:

Darklord Bright
2010-12-03, 12:06 AM
I'm actually a little curious - how're we gonna do the scenes where Trix contacts The Nightingale? With the walkie-talkie ring thing.

celtois
2010-12-03, 12:10 AM
Well some I'm lazy and don't have time to follow you through all your adventures. (I'm in a show that goes up next week. :smalleek:) I think either poking me in the OOC chat when I'm online. Or PMing me would be a good way to get my attention. I feel that the rp should take place in the thread she is in since she is talking into her right even if Nightingale isn't going to be speaking. :smallamused:

Darklord Bright
2010-12-03, 12:16 AM
Fair enough, I shall endeavor to keep you informed!

Moff Chumley
2010-12-03, 12:32 AM
I'm late to this party, but a great thing to do in FFRP to avoid seeming OP, and just in general make everyone have a better time, is to use the first rule of Improv. Never say no to anything. Of course, this isn't always possible, but in most cases, if you can avoid saying "no, that doesn't work", your post is gonna be a lot more enjoyable. Likewise, if your character is constantly contradicting other characters, that's no fun either.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-03, 12:50 AM
One of the other rules of improv is, no matter how painful it may be :smalltongue:, to set the other 'actors' up to look good as much as possible, like feeding them opportunities.

Darkcomet
2010-12-03, 01:19 AM

Darn it. I has another character idea...

Anyway. DC! How would the Empire respond to one of its men Exalting in the middle of a fight? Still loyal, just now... well, more powerful.

Yep. That's it.

I do not know, to be honest, but I must say that if the Empire gets much more powerful stuff I think people are going to complain.

And an Exalt is certainly pretty big on 'powerful stuff'.

In the meantime I will be doing something entirely unrelated to considering mounting giant defensive cannons on the city walls.

horngeek
2010-12-03, 02:04 AM
Well, let's see what people think first. I actually really like the idea...

Either way, I might make an officer. Only difference would be whether he Exalted or not. Unless you have anything against it, that is, DC.

V'icternus
2010-12-03, 02:48 AM
So, um, I was reading through a bunch of Nexus threads, and stuff, and I was all "oh hey, this looks fun", despite your crazy-ridiculous posting speeds (says me. <.< ).

And, so, yeah... I was thinking maybe I'd like to join in on the fun... I have many characters, see, that may never be used again unless I recycle them for something like this.
And, uh, yeah... so... I'd like to... do... that.

Any instruction as to exactly what to do would be greatly appreciated. :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-12-03, 02:49 AM
So, um, I was reading through a bunch of Nexus threads, and stuff, and I was all "oh hey, this looks fun", despite your crazy-ridiculous posting speeds (says me. <.< ).

And, so, yeah... I was thinking maybe I'd like to join in on the fun... I have many characters, see, that may never be used again unless I recycle them for something like this.

Any instruction as to exactly what to do would be greatly appreciated. :smalltongue:

Come up with a character and throw them somewhere. Trog's is a popular choice. Also put them in the character registry at some point.

V'icternus
2010-12-03, 02:51 AM
...You don't even need my blood or anything?
No dark ritual of arcane secrecy?
No giant flaming torture rack of brilliance-inducing power??

...Cool. :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-12-03, 02:58 AM
...You don't even need my blood or anything?
No dark ritual of arcane secrecy?
No giant flaming torture rack of brilliance-inducing power??

...Cool. :smalltongue:

Oh we take the blood later, don't you worry about that:smalltongue:

V'icternus
2010-12-03, 03:00 AM
Oh, good. I was getting concerned!

Who wants to be part of some namby-pamby, non-blood-stealing, anti-dark ritualistic group of people with no flaming torture rack?

Terumitsu
2010-12-03, 03:01 AM
Blood? Who said anything about blood?

Naw. The real thing is the Soul-jar! *Holds it up*

But don't worry about that... It'll come nice and easy.. Ehehehehe...

As for rules, just read the first three pages of the FFRP sticked thread up top and you'll be in good shape. Good to see you here and we hope you have fun!

V'icternus
2010-12-03, 03:16 AM
Oooh, a Soul Jar!

I'll go find one!
Here, kitty kitty... come one... no-one's gonna steal your soul...

horngeek
2010-12-03, 04:57 AM
Don't forget the kidney.

...wait. No, that's NarutoitP. Whoops. *puts down kidney-removal appratus*

Gnrlshrimp
2010-12-03, 05:09 AM
Bah. How dare you steal our kidney-stealing apparatus, sir!

We were stealing kidneys before NarutoitP was in even the early stages of its creation! *shakes cane furiously*

Also, V'icternus, don't forget to pick up one of those nifty white coats that let you hug yourself. >.>

Ashen Lilies
2010-12-03, 05:37 AM
Ah Nexus, you always deliver me new souls to rake over the coals. :smallsmile:
*sharpens pitchfork*
*resumes leaning on Maxios*
He makes a great stool. =3

horngeek
2010-12-03, 05:49 AM
Well, let's see what people think first. I actually really like the idea...

Anyone have any particular objections to this?

billtodamax
2010-12-03, 06:00 AM
Bill is neutral on the idea!

happyturtle
2010-12-03, 06:01 AM
None from me. And unless you're making him some kind of super-Exalt, I don't really think it will affect the balance of powers that much in the Empire.

I also kind of suspect after the big exalting scene, you will get bored with the character and they won't get much screentime. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. There's nothing wrong with playing a character with a short story arc.

http://www.savagechickens.com/images/chickenninjapoker.jpg

Ashen Lilies
2010-12-03, 06:04 AM
I think they'd probably get bored and quit after one of them plays the fifth Ace of Spades in a row.

horngeek
2010-12-03, 06:10 AM
None from me. And unless you're making him some kind of super-Exalt, I don't really think it will affect the balance of powers that much in the Empire.

I also kind of suspect after the big exalting scene, you will get bored with the character and they won't get much screentime. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. There's nothing wrong with playing a character with a short story arc.

No, he won't be a super-Exalt. We're talking starting character for the game here- yes, he's still capable of taking a lot on, but he doesn't have any of the really cool stuff. On his own, he's potent and you wouldn't want to face him in a one-on-one fight, but not really unbalancing.

And I'll see. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. :smallsmile: I do really like the idea, but a lot of my characters do seem to have short arcs.

@^: Win. :smallbiggrin:

happyturtle
2010-12-03, 06:20 AM
I just had a random character idea. Ermine's sister, who no one ever speaks of because of the shame she brought to the family.

She went to school, studied hard, got perfect grades, and became an accountant.

Ashen Lilies
2010-12-03, 06:22 AM
An accountant who secretly wants to be a LION TAMER. =D

VampireRot
2010-12-03, 06:23 AM
I just had a random character idea. Ermine's sister, who no one ever speaks of because of the shame she brought to the family.

She went to school, studied hard, got perfect grades, and became an accountant.

What!? :smalleek: What are these lies! No sibling of Ermine would go to school! :smalltongue:

Though... In the backstory I have in my mind, one of Ermine's sisters at least is a shame to the family for... different reasons. :smallannoyed:

Mina Kobold
2010-12-03, 07:18 AM
I got bored agaiiiin.

CWUUUUUUUTE :3

Even more CWUUUUUUUTE :3

Ah, I see. Nifty!

Cause, for the longest time.. I thought she was an albino teifling... I guess I wasn't too far off...?

O_O Now I know what my second character will be.

I'm late to this party, but a great thing to do in FFRP to avoid seeming OP, and just in general make everyone have a better time, is to use the first rule of Improv. Never say no to anything. Of course, this isn't always pe ossible, but in most cases, if you can avoid saying "no, that doesn't work", your post is gonna be a lot more enjoyable. Likewise, if your character is constantly contradicting other characters, that's no fun either.

I love that trick, I'm not exactly good at it myself (Since the last character I had in a battle was faster than sound, so being hit by a slow robot didn't make sense)

Maybe I should have Lewis (Will be up once this dastardly education facility lets me go!) get into a fight just to even out such abnormal amounts of pacifism? :smalltongue:

Hi V'icty! You think you have it bad? This thread was on page 2 when I went to sleep! Page 2!

Now get to making a character that's not over-powered and post! That's the advice I got :smallbiggrin:

Morty
2010-12-03, 07:38 AM
As long as he doesn't completely overshadow the Mortal Coil or the rest of Imperial troops Horngeek, I don't think anyone will have a problem.

On another note:

I'm late to this party, but a great thing to do in FFRP to avoid seeming OP, and just in general make everyone have a better time, is to use the first rule of Improv. Never say no to anything. Of course, this isn't always possible, but in most cases, if you can avoid saying "no, that doesn't work", your post is gonna be a lot more enjoyable. Likewise, if your character is constantly contradicting other characters, that's no fun either.

This bears repeating, I think. Basically, as far as OPness is concerned, the important thing to remember is that the low-powered, normal and/or mundane characters aren't NPCs, meaningless extras and cannon fodder. They're actual characters with actual players behind them. Players who won't like it when their characters are relegated to being background to someone else's powerful demigod/epic mage/demon lord/avatar of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
And finally, what is it with you people and going through five pages of OOC in one night lately? Geez. :smalltongue:

happyturtle
2010-12-03, 07:47 AM
I'd love to hear more about improv rules. It sounds very applicable to ffrp.

Ashen Lilies
2010-12-03, 07:58 AM
The rules of Improv (sadly I had to Google this - I seem to have lost my GCSE Drama notes from last year):

1) Don't Deny

Denial is the number one reason most scenes go bad. Any time you refuse an Offer made by your partner your scene will almost instantly come to a grinding halt. Example: Player A) "Hi, my name is Jim. Welcome to my store." Player B) "This isn't a store, it's an airplane. And you're not Jim, you're an antelope."

2) Don't ask open ended Questions

Open ended questions (like "Who are you?") are scene killers because they force your partner to stop whatever they are doing and come up with an answer. When you ask your partner and open ended question, you put the burden of coming up with something "interesting" on your partner - so you are no longer doing a scene together but forcing one person has to do more work than you are willing to do.

3) You don't have to be funny.

The hidden riddle of improv is that the harder you try not to be funny the more funny your scene is going to be. Why? Because it's the very best kind of improv scene you can do is an "interesting" scene, not necessarily a "funny" one. When you do an interesting scene, a very surprising thing happens… the funny comes out all by it's self.

The best ways to go are to stick to your character, stick to the story that is being told, and to stay within the reality of the scene you are playing.

4) You can look good if you make your partner look good.

When you are in a scene, the better you make your partner look the better the scene is going to be and, as a direct result, the better you are going to look. All too often, I've seen players enter a scene and I can just tell they have some really great idea about the character they are going to play or an idea they want to do. This is wonderful, but guess what? Your partner probably has absolutely no idea what's cooking in your evil little mind, and so has no idea how to react. And no matter how brilliant your idea might be, it's practically worthless if the scene as a whole goes bad.

5) Tell a story.

Storytelling is probably the easiest rule to remember but the hardest one to do. The real magic of improv is when we see the players take totally random suggestions (like a plumber and a cab driver selling shoes in a leper colony ) and somehow "make it work". If all these unrelated elements are going to come together then it's going to happen in the course of an interesting tale. So that's just what the players are going to try and do, tell us all a story.

It's not terribly applicable. Rule 2 in particular is almost worthless in FFRP. One and Four are the best.

ApeofLight
2010-12-03, 08:57 AM
Actually I think those rules are good for ffrp except for number 2. Because we are not really constrained for time or anything we can actually take a break and go, "hmm, who is my character?..." But yeah, I like numbers 1, 3, 4, and 5.

Reinholdt
2010-12-03, 11:07 AM
Oooh, a Soul Jar!

I'll go find one!
Here, kitty kitty... come one... no-one's gonna steal your soul...

:smallannoyed:
*pokes far away with a sniper rifle*
I'm on to your tricks.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-03, 05:10 PM
This whole situation so far made me do this....
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/4375/trixlsspy.png

Maxios
2010-12-03, 05:14 PM
This whole situation so far made me do this....
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/4375/trixlsspy.png

Good drawing! Soon, LANTERN will be come a lot more actiony. When the crime-ridden city opens up, LANTERN will have a city to patrol, and villainy to destroy.

ThirdEmperor
2010-12-03, 05:16 PM
And Atheor will have been there for a few hours already, sitting atop a pile of vampire corpses and getting drunk.

Rae Artemi
2010-12-03, 05:16 PM
Good drawing! Soon, LANTERN will be come a lot more actiony. When the crime-ridden city opens up, LANTERN will have a city to patrol, and villainy to destroy.

And more pie to eat!

Rae's really just sort of there for the pie. :smalltongue:

Morty
2010-12-03, 05:18 PM
Alright, a slight change in the NBR organization: I'll write up a generic signup form so that people can join without talking to Askepios or a member. It's easier this way.

Maxios
2010-12-03, 05:20 PM
And more pie to eat!

And Maxios is there for the talking toilets that cost more then the entire defense system :smalltongue:

happyturtle
2010-12-03, 05:24 PM
BTW, anyone who wants to catch Moff dumping itching powder in the arenas and kick his ass for it is welcome to. :smallsmile:

Maxios
2010-12-03, 05:27 PM
And more pie to eat!

BTW, anyone who wants to catch Moff dumping itching powder in the arenas and kick his ass for it is welcome to. :smallsmile:

Maxios may actually help him to do it just for the sheer hilarity.

What? Lawful Good superheroes can't have fun every once and a while :smalltongue:

Morty
2010-12-03, 05:29 PM
Maxios may actually help him to do it just for the sheer hilarity.

What? Lawful Good superheroes can't have fun every once and a while :smalltongue:

If he does, he'll be kicked out of the event and won't be able to come back. Just so it's clear.

Lord Magtok
2010-12-03, 05:31 PM
When the crime-ridden city opens up, LANTERN will have a city to patrol, and villainy to destroy.

They're totally not lazy hero wannabes, and all of the villainy and crime in Inside is obviously a figment of my imagination, right? :smalltongue:

Rae Artemi
2010-12-03, 05:33 PM
They're totally not lazy hero wannabes, and all of the villainy and crime in Inside is obviously a figment of my imagination, right? :smalltongue:

The most experienced ring user is keeping them out of the city for now so that they can train, actually.

ThirdEmperor
2010-12-03, 05:35 PM
Seeing as one of their members is Mr. Cat, a cannibal and identicle twin of Chezzy, I'd say they're probably the worst crime fighters ever.

Maxios
2010-12-03, 05:36 PM

Maxios isn't a lazy hero. At one point, he nearly sacrificed himself for the greater good, something that nearly everyone in LANTERN doesn't know.

Rae Artemi
2010-12-03, 05:37 PM
Maxios isn't a lazy hero. At one point, he nearly sacrificed himself for the greater good, something that nearly everyone in LANTERN doesn't know.

Only once? Man, Maxios will need to work hard to catch up to Rae. Granted, sometimes he was just trying to sacrifice himself in general, but still.

Darkcomet
2010-12-03, 05:38 PM

Of course, knowing LANTERN, they would probably cause more damage than they prevented and would end up the target of Imperial intervention.

Morty
2010-12-03, 05:39 PM
As a general rule, backstory events have less weight than on-screen ones. Reasons are, I believe, obvious. :smalltongue:

Rae Artemi
2010-12-03, 05:47 PM
As a general rule, backstory events have less weight than on-screen ones. Reasons are, I believe, obvious. :smalltongue:

Rae tried to sacrifice himself for the greater good on-screen too. Or, rather, to get rid of Mr. Cat, but I think most of us would agree that that would be a pretty big act of good.

Maxios
2010-12-03, 05:48 PM

In Maxios' case, it was an actual thing. And he actually did die, but was ressurected by Carrion. It was in HALO: Glub Glub Glub, or a couple threads before or after that one.

Also, Mr. Cat's themesong would be Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne.

VampireRot
2010-12-03, 05:50 PM

:sagenod:

I gave Ermine a super sekret tragedy-filled backstory, but she's not as angsty as she would be if it were on-screen events.

Lix Lorn
2010-12-03, 06:05 PM
I want to hug Ermine. (nodnodnod)
And Rot. (nodnod)

Let's be honest. I want to hug every character EVER.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-03, 06:07 PM
And Rot. (nodnod)

You even wanted to hug a slice-happy demoness mass murderer!

happyturtle
I have this perverse impulse to hug Cricketbatman. >.<

ThirdEmperor
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to hug Chezzy.

Earl of Purple
2010-12-03, 06:11 PM
I don't think anybody wants to hug Dalachrech. The idols in His temples are very good likenesses, I'm told.

Gullara
2010-12-03, 06:12 PM
I wonder how many vampires Lix could hug before she became lunch.

Rae Artemi
2010-12-03, 06:15 PM

As many as I could take, at least.

So, probably a lot.

Lix Lorn
2010-12-03, 06:17 PM
My first love. :smallfrown:

I don't think anybody wants to hug Dalachrech. The idols in His temples are very good likenesses, I'm told.
Who's Dalachrech? I need to know-so I can hug him. xP

Well, being hugely overpowered (but not very combative), I'm going to go wiiith... all of them. :smallcool:

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to hug Chezzy.
Depends if Rae told her about him.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-03, 06:17 PM
And Rot. (nodnod)

Then hug my character! For I have finally finished it!

Just in time to look at the clock, vaguely register it being past midnight and falling asleep... But it's still done! :smalltongue:

Now I kind of want to do that...

Earl of Purple
2010-12-03, 06:21 PM
Two. The first would be too confused to do anything, the second would be too hungry.

Rae Artemi
2010-12-03, 06:23 PM
Two. The first would be too confused to do anything, the second would be too hungry.

The second would get a face full of fire and a sword through the heart. As would the third. And fourth, and so on and so on...

Lix Lorn
2010-12-03, 06:28 PM
I can take care of mySELF. Repeated castings of Pacifism, or Hold Monster, or Thunder Wave... :smalltongue:

Rae Artemi
2010-12-03, 06:29 PM
I can take care of mySELF. Repeated castings of Pacifism, or Hold Monster, or Thunder Wave... :smalltongue:

You can, but that doesn't mean I'll let you. :smalltongue:

VampireRot
2010-12-03, 06:30 PM
Neither Rot nor Ermine would like hugs. >.>

Though, it really depends on how drunk Ermine is.

Rot would just try to nom you, and be set on fire by someone afterward. As these things usually go. :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
No mass vampire slaughterings!

Maxios
As it turns out, LANTERN has a spy :smalleek:. I'm not going to have Maxios know it IC though.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-03, 06:34 PM
As it turns out, LANTERN has a spy :smalleek:. I'm not going to have Maxios know it IC though.

Hasn't this been stated multiple times? And I made an art-joke about it like a page ago?

Maxios
2010-12-03, 06:35 PM
Hasn't this been stated multiple times? And I made an art-joke about it like a page ago?

I didn't see it before when you stated it, and the joke made me get it. Don't worry, Maxios won't know this IC and spoil the plot

Rae Artemi
2010-12-03, 06:38 PM

Yes, Mistress... :smalltongue:

Mee
2010-12-03, 06:39 PM
If I might interrupt the fun and festivities for a moment;

I! *swooshes cape*
Have decided that the time has come for me to make my grand reappearance.
And that in my infinite wisdom, shall bring back peace, prosperit-*trips on cape*

My nose . . .

*sits back up* Anyway, homework is being . . . well, homework is homework. Buuuut I think I finally have reason/time to try posting again.
But as it's been a while:

New guys! Give me the speel. (Speal? Speel? Peel? PEELZ!)
(No, not you guys who have been around for a while. If I may, I'd like to see what they say. Slight experiment on my part, if you will. Just bear with me, please.)

Murkus
2010-12-03, 06:43 PM
I'm not exactly a new guy at this point, but welcome back! We keep on gaining members, it's true.

Mee
2010-12-03, 06:44 PM
I'm not exactly a new guy at this point, but welcome back! We keep on gaining members, it's true.

Still, I'd like to hear your input.

Treat me like the new guy.
I WILL be asking questions.

Maxios
If I might interrupt the fun and festivities for a moment;

I! *swooshes cape*
Have decided that the time has come for me to make my grand reappearance.
And that in my infinite wisdom, shall bring back peace, prosperit-*trips on cape*

My nose . . .

*sits back up* Anyway, homework is being . . . well, homework is homework. Buuuut I think I finally have reason/time to try posting again.
But as it's been a while:

New guys! Give me the speel. (Speal? Speel? Peel? PEELZ!)
(No, not you guys who have been around for a while. If I may, I'd like to see what they say. Slight experiment on my part, if you will. Just bear with me, please.)

The speel/peel? If I am correct that means what's happened since your leaving:

Maxios formed LANTERN, a superhero group dedicated to fighting evil

Thanksmas is being celebrated

A mage named Mercury is going to open the nightclub Salvation

The embodiment of evil was sealed into his own domain

The Nexus Fighting Royale, a martial arts tournament, is being held

Any questions?

Gullara

Please no. *counts on fingers* Twelve of those vampires would be mine. :smallcool:

Murkus
2010-12-03, 06:45 PM
Still, I'd like to hear your input.

Treat me like the new guy.
I WILL be asking questions.

Well, I'm lazy, and Maxi summed recent and current events up quite nicely I think.

But please ask away. I'm really not all that lazy.

Mee
2010-12-03, 06:46 PM
The speel/peel? If I am correct that means what's happened since your leaving:

Maxios formed LANTERN, a superhero group dedicated to fighting evil

Thanksmas is being celebrated

A mage named Mercury is going to open the nightclub Salvation

The embodiment of evil was sealed into his own domain

The Nexus Fighting Royale, a martial arts tournament, is being held

Nuuunonononono. You misunderstand. (My fault, I wasn't clear.)
I am the new guy. Give me the 'welcome to the FFRP' dealie.
To echo the above post, I will be asking questions.

And at you, Murkus:
See this post.
Forget I was ever here. Hmkay?

Murkus
2010-12-03, 06:48 PM
Oh, I see!

*recorded monotone*

Welcome to FFRP. It is always nice to see another friendly face. If you have any questions, please ask.

*click*

Seriously, I'm too lazy to go and look up a welcome picture or somesuch.

:smalltongue:

Maxios
2010-12-03, 06:48 PM
Nuuunonononono. You misunderstand. (My fault, I wasn't clear.)
I am the new guy. Give me the 'welcome to the FFRP' dealie.
To echo the above post, I will be asking questions.

And at you, Murkus:
See this post.
Forget I was ever here. Hmkay?

Alright.
Welcome to the Nexus, the largest and most chaotic FFRP on these boards! The Nexus is the hub of the multiverse, where everything meets. I have a guy with a power ring, a superhero obsessed with the Batman from the '60s, and a wimpy SPARTAN. Basically, anything goes.
I'd reccomend starting out at a group (like LANTERN or AMEN) because that's usually where the most plots happen. Of course, you could start off at Trog's Tavern, or of course, anywhere you want.

Any questions

Mee
2010-12-03, 06:50 PM
Alright.
Welcome to the Nexus, the largest and most chaotic FFRP on these boards! Any questions?

Yeah, first question. Why did you edit this? >_>
That was good.

horngeek
2010-12-03, 06:51 PM
Given that people don't seem to be that worried about my idea...

DC, do you have any particular objections to it?

Gullara
2010-12-03, 06:52 PM
Given that people don't seem to be that worried about my idea...

DC, do you have any particular objections to it?

I object! How's a vampire supposed to get a meal with an exalt around?:smalltongue:

horngeek
2010-12-03, 06:56 PM
I object! How's a vampire supposed to get a meal with an exalt around?:smalltongue:

What, you think he's going to show up magically? :smalltongue:

Maxios
2010-12-03, 06:58 PM
Yeah, first question. Why did you edit this? >_>
That was good.

Thanks.

Sorry about editing that out, I put it back.

Gullara
2010-12-03, 06:58 PM
What, you think he's going to show up magically? :smalltongue:

I honestly don't know. All I know is exalted are powerful. That's about it.

Mee
2010-12-03, 07:00 PM
Alright.
Welcome to the Nexus, the largest and most chaotic FFRP on these boards! The Nexus is the hub of the multiverse, where everything meets. I have a guy with a power ring, a superhero obsessed with the Batman from the '60s, and a wimpy SPARTAN. Basically, anything goes.
I'd reccomend starting out at a group (like LANTERN or AMEN) because that's usually where the most plots happen. Of course, you could start off at Trog's Tavern, or of course, anywhere you want.

Any questions

Thank you, Maxios.

So now I can go:

Is there another FFRP on these boards? I mean, what's it being compared to?
>_>
Anyway, so:
So what's a plot?
And what sort of character should I do?

horngeek
2010-12-03, 07:02 PM
I honestly don't know. All I know is exalted are powerful. That's about it.

Answer: no, he is not. He has no Charms that would facilitate that. And he'd, literally, be newly Exalted. Yes, a serious personal threat, but nowhere near unbeatable.

Maxios
2010-12-03, 07:04 PM
Thank you, Maxios.

So now I can go:

Is there another FFRP on these boards? I mean, what's it being compared to?
>_>
Anyway, so:
So what's a plot?
And what sort of character should I do?

There are other FFRPs, Mythos and Bleachitp being good examples. The Nexus has just been around here the longest.

Plots usually are a big story on here being told by the numerous PCs. A current plot in LANTERN, for example, is Maxios learning how to lead, or Trix being a soy. The plots sometime are in a group thread, or their own thread. Plots range from romance, to apololypse ones, to swashbuckling.
There are also numerous sub-plots, far to many to mention. The boat race in AMEN (an evil group) is a good example.

Make whatever character you want. Maxios is basically a paladin mixed with a spy, then got a whole heaping of superheroics. SPARTAN 255 was inspired by Halo: Reach, and is a complete wimp.
Basically, go with whatever character type interests you. Any other questions?

Gullara
2010-12-03, 07:06 PM
Answer: no, he is not. He has no Charms that would facilitate that. And he'd, literally, be newly Exalted. Yes, a serious personal threat, but nowhere near unbeatable.

Perhaps I should expand. I have no clue what an exalted is, at all.

Mee
2010-12-03, 07:08 PM
There are other FFRPs, Mythos and Bleachitp being good examples. The Nexus has just been around here the longest.

Plots usually are a big story on here being told by the numerous PCs. A current plot in LANTERN, for example, is Maxios learning how to lead, or Trix being a soy. The plots sometime are in a group thread, or their own thread. Plots range from romance, to apololypse ones, to swashbuckling.
There are also numerous sub-plots, far to many to mention. The boat race in AMEN (an evil group) is a good example.

Make whatever character you want. Maxios is basically a paladin mixed with a spy, then got a whole heaping of superheroics. SPARTAN 255 was inspired by Halo: Reach, and is a complete wimp.
Basically, go with whatever character type interests you. Any other questions?

Hmm.

Is there anywhere I can read like, rules?
This can't just be complete anarchy. Is it?

Gullara
2010-12-03, 07:09 PM
Hmm.

You would want to take a look at the FFRP Central Thread stickied at the top of the page.

Rae Artemi
2010-12-03, 07:09 PM
Hmm.

You'd want the first couple of posts here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166066), probably.

McBish
2010-12-03, 07:12 PM
Mee confuses me... Hi Mee.

Maxios
2010-12-03, 07:12 PM
The Nexus does follow the FFRP section rules. Individual Nexus threads each has their rules as well.

Darklord Bright
2010-12-03, 07:13 PM

From what I understand, it's kinda like a Super Saiyan mixed with every other anime ever.

Mee
2010-12-03, 07:13 PM
Hi McBish, shhhh. :smalltongue:

I see.
So, I guess I'll just find somewhere and start.

Or, later.
As I gotta run. xD

horngeek
2010-12-03, 07:15 PM

Right. Read through the Wikipedia Exalted article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exalted) and the tv Tropes page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Exalted).