PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Races for Dragonborn

Thurbane
2010-12-02, 04:43 PM
Just wondering, what are some good races to apply the Dragonborn template to? I know Mongrelfolk is a perennial favourite, but what others make good Dragonborn? I guess you’re looking for a base race that doesn’t have too many racial features that get obliterated by applying the template.

Eloel
2010-12-02, 04:51 PM
Water Orcs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#waterOrcs)
They lose their Light Sensitivity, which is great to lose. Also, +4 Str, +4 Con? Yes please, for any melee guys.

Also, for pretty much any race except Human, Dragonborn is a great choice if you're going Druid.

Ernir
2010-12-02, 04:52 PM
(Water) Orcs and Raptorans are excellent for this.

Why? Both of them have things that are retained through the Ritual of Rebirth as their selling point. Orcs' attribute scores are their only real racial feature, and they actually lose their Light Sensitivity. Raptorans retain their fly speed, allowing you to select the Heart and Mind aspects of the Dragonborn while still getting some wings.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-02, 05:11 PM
Just wondering, what are some good races to apply the Dragonborn template to? I know Mongrelfolk is a perennial favourite, but what others make good Dragonborn? I guess you’re looking for a base race that doesn’t have too many racial features that get obliterated by applying the template.

Well. half-orc doesn't have much of any racial traits to obliterate.

Edit: The post above me, that's the cake.

Tael
2010-12-02, 05:26 PM
Buoman is gold for this. You lose Vow of Silence (a net gain) and nothing else.

Kosjsjach
2010-12-02, 05:53 PM
I like Desert Half-Orcs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertHalfOrcs), personally. Net +4 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int, and all you lose is the Run feat. I have a statted dragonborn desert half-orc dragonfire adept I've been wanting to play for a while now.

Darrin
2010-12-02, 06:05 PM
Mongrelfolk. +6 Con bonus at ECL 1. Add the Arctic template (Dragon #306, Con +2, Cha -2) for +8 Con.

Runestar
2010-12-02, 08:14 PM
Warforged. You lose only your composite plating and slam attack, while retaining all other living construct traits.

Goliath's not a bad choice either. Stats are a tad extreme (+4str/con, -4dex), but make for excellent barbs.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-02, 08:19 PM
IIRC somone advocating that you retained your natural weapons, so some races with natural weapons but not stellar stat modifiers were useful.... I think that incarnum race with spine (Rilkan?)

Also Grey elves are a classic for wizards...(to negate the Con penalty)

true_shinken
2010-12-02, 08:22 PM
Buomman springs to mind. They lose their vow of silence.

FMArthur
2010-12-02, 08:25 PM
Seconding Raptoran. You use these two in conjunction to be a real humanoid dragon instead of being a horrible half-dragon or something. I, as well as a lot of other groups, replace half-dragons with dragonborn entirely and make them the new half-dragon fluff-wise.

Technically by RAW what happens to Raptorans is that you lose flight entirely if you acquire the Dragonborn template before level 6, and if you take it after that you gain the fly speed and lose its limitations. As a DM the obvious decision is to let them keep the whole ability.

AslanCross
2010-12-02, 09:36 PM
Dragonborn Warforged would be awesome if you can get it past your DM, though it just gets +4 to CON. Also I think you lose your immunities. It would be the most awesome-looking race ever, though.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-12-02, 09:49 PM
Dragonborn Warforged would be awesome if you can get it past your DM, though it just gets +4 to CON. Also I think you lose your immunities. It would be the most awesome-looking race ever, though.

Actually, the warforged immunities are a function of its type and subtype. They get to keep them just fine when they become dragonborn.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-02, 09:52 PM
Actually, the warforged immunities are a function of its type and subtype. They get to keep them just fine when they become dragonborn.

Plus IIRC the only pre-req for Mithral/admantine body is being a warforged, hence you can recover your free armor with just one feat investment.

Go go Mecha-gozilla (go Warlock for even more kaijuu fun :smallamused:)

Thurbane
2010-12-02, 11:17 PM
Dragonborn Warforged actually gets it's own entry in the "official" FAQ.

FMArthur
2010-12-03, 02:19 PM
Dragonborn Warforged actually gets it's own entry in the "official" FAQ.

And what does it say? :smallconfused:

Akal Saris
2010-12-03, 02:21 PM
While already mentioned, Water Orc is my personal favorite.

Greenish
2010-12-03, 02:24 PM
Go go Mecha-gozilla (go Warlock for even more kaijuu fun :smallamused:)No, go Psywarr for Expansion and grab Jaws of Death and Dragon Tail.

Thurbane
2010-12-03, 05:41 PM
And what does it say? :smallconfused:

Can a warforged become a dragonborn of Bahamut,
and if so what are the racial traits it keeps from the
warforged list?
Despite the misleading entry in the dragonborn racial traits
that suggests that all dragonborn are humanoids, the only
prerequisites for being reborn in this manner are a non-evil
alignment and an Intelligence of 3 or better. Thus, there’s
nothing stopping a warforged from undergoing this ritual and
dedicating himself to the service of Bahamut.
A warforged who becomes a dragonborn would be a
construct with the living construct and dragonblood subtypes.
He’d retain his warforged ability score modifiers and favored
class.
He’d also retain all traits derived from the living construct
subtype, including immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis,
disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain; inability
to heal damage naturally; vulnerability to certain metal- or
wood-affecting spells; and half effect from healing spells. He’d
still become inert at –1 to –9 hp, and he still wouldn’t need to
eat, sleep, or breathe.
However, he would lose his composite plating, light
fortification, and slam attack.
The next logical question, of course, is whether the
dragonborn warforged can select feats that would improve his
now-absent composite plating. Technically, these feats don’t
list composite plating as a prerequisite, so it appears the answer
would be yes.
The Unarmored Body feat (RE 120) supports this ruling, as
it indicates that other feats that adjust the character’s armor
bonus could be selected later, even though he technically
doesn’t have the composite plating’s armor bonus any more.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-12-03, 07:38 PM
Here's a thought. What would happen to a lycanthrope that became dragonborn? And, in the event that he would lose alternate form would the shape he was in when he underwent the ritual of rebirth affect his final stats?