PDA

View Full Version : Who gets the kill?

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-02, 05:06 PM
There's a disagreement among two of my players about who should get the kill shot on my BBEG when it comes time.

PC #1: Freya Merata (Winged Human Jade Phoenix Mage, Chaotic Good)
Case: When she was an infant, the previous campaign's BBEG kidnapped her due to Freya being the party leader's daughter, and the current BBEG, who was a party member at the time, decided that to remove the BBEG's leverage, he would shoot the baby through the head, killing it, sure that the party would ressurect her after the fight using the philosopher's stone they had.

This guy then proceeded to, over the next 20 years, attempt to eliminate the non-human races, which Freya's mother attempted to stop by uniting the various barbarian tribes under one banner and waging war against her former teammate. He then devises a way to kill Freya's mother and, when the party finally shows up to put an end to his tyranny, he throws a wet sack down the stairs from the platform he's standing on. Inside is Freya's mother's head.

PC #2: Aranel Draconodel (Winged Elf Shadowbane Inquisitor) (See a theme going here?)
Case: In his aforementioned culling of the various non-human races, The BBEG mounted simultaneous attacks on the elven homelands. He sent a massive army of goblinoids to destroy the Green City, to destroy the positive energy lich elf elders and rip open a portal to the Far Realm. However, he himself led the attack on the winged elves of the mountains. With an army of undead under his command he attack the winged elves, and slew Aranel's two brothers, mother and father, thus killing the royal family of the winged elves. When he came upon the young Aranel (she's only recently old enough to adventure), he spared her, claiming he saw great opportunity in her eyes, that he saw someone like himself. She joined the Order of Illumination, not knowing that this was exactly the road he had taken before . . .

So who makes more sense to kill him in the end?

Morbis Meh
2010-12-02, 05:16 PM
I think PC 1 has a more personal motive for revenge therefor I say killing blow for them.

Or you could just let them both kill the BBEG at the same time to avoid these situations, plus it would be interesting to describe the fall of said BBEG.

MightyTim
2010-12-02, 05:20 PM
Let them work it out in character. You don't need to babysit your PCs. Intra-party conflict can be fun!

Zieu
2010-12-02, 05:21 PM
Let them do a Boondock Saints-syle double execution. Prayer beforehand is optional.

EDIT: Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaGrYLDSNZ0&feature=related), but replace their Beretta 92FS with the PC's weapons of choice :smallsmile:

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-02, 05:21 PM
Let them work it out in character. You don't need to babysit your PCs. Intra-party conflict can be fun!

Of course I will, I'm just curious who you think should get it.

Eloel
2010-12-02, 05:29 PM
Make a minion of the BBEG get the kill. More fun for everyone.

Crossblade
2010-12-02, 05:47 PM
PC 1.
If I read that right, the BBEG caused her death as an infant.

Forged Fury
2010-12-02, 06:07 PM
PC #1 kills BBEG.

PC #2 re-kills BBEG after BBEG turns undead upon being killed.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-02, 06:08 PM
PC 1.
If I read that right, the BBEG caused her death as an infant.

You did indeed.

Edit: Noticed I had put How in the title, fixed now.

Forged_Fury: Perhaps I should have two fights, one with the BBEG alive and the other with him now an undead?

KillianHawkeye
2010-12-02, 06:18 PM
Obviously, the pair of them should duel the BBEG while the rest of the party holds off his various minions/cultists/demons/horde of undead (or maybe saves the prisoners/hostages/sacrificial lambs). That should be suitably dramatic, unless they really care about who takes the ultimate shot that kills the guy.

Ravens_Wing
2010-12-02, 06:42 PM
You could make it so the BBEG clones himself and then they each get one. Really cool story effect if you have the 2 halfs stand back to back and get killed at the same time then merging together into one corpse with both leathal blows showing!

Either That or KillianHawkeye's suggestion.

JonRG
2010-12-02, 07:01 PM
Give them both rifles, load one with blanks. Provide the BBEG with a cigarette and a blindfold. Let them both take credit for it. :smallamused:

What about the other players? Are your two PCs going to be furious if someone else manages to kill the Big Bad?

Or Raven's idea is pretty cool too.

tahu88810
2010-12-02, 07:05 PM
It would be thematically appropriate, I think, if PC2 found out that she was following in the BBEG's footsteps, struggled with this fact, and then firmly cemented the fact that she would not become like him by killing him. Or, struggled with that fact, and then killed him and became a future BBEG herself.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-02, 07:06 PM
Give them both rifles, load one with blanks. Provide the BBEG with a cigarette and a blindfold. Let them both take credit for it. :smallamused:

What about the other players? Are your two PCs going to be furious if someone else manages to kill the Big Bad?

Or Raven's idea is pretty cool too.

They've got fights to fight earlier, since they aren't bound as tightly to the BBEG's machinations.

Off the top of my head, I have: The cleric's fighting his evil son, the factotum is fighting an orcish warlord who leveled his hometown (and a ganglord who has his mom), the half-orc barbarian is also fighting the warlord, the rogue has a corrupt captain of the guard from his home country, and I think that's it.

mucat
2010-12-02, 08:43 PM
If the BBEG is enough of a pushover that your players can afford to dance around in the final confrontation, pulling punches to make sure that the "right" person gets the kill, then he's clearly not B enough or B enough.

Make sure the fight is harrowing enough that anyone who has a plausible chance will try a lethal shot at him, hoping to snatch some thin chance of victory from a near-certain defeat. If they have time to think about who gets the glory, then they're not scared enough!

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-12-03, 12:12 AM
Let them argue over it. Conflict is plot. Drama is plot. Give them this plot! Assuming it's not a problem out of character, of course.

Cespenar
2010-12-03, 01:10 AM
There's no correct answer on this one. However, as I tend to think dramatically:

After disabling the BBEG, the duo gets into some discussion about who gets the kill. The argument heats a little, and the BBEG doesn't help it by spurting a thing or two at them between bloody lips at key points. However, they somehow get over their own pettinesses and decide that who delivers the final blow isn't really that important. Then, one of them offers his/her sword to each other, the other smiles and puts her/his hand on top of the other's, and holding the same sword, they strike.

Hironomus
2010-12-03, 01:40 AM
If the BBEG is enough of a pushover that your players can afford to dance around in the final confrontation, pulling punches to make sure that the "right" person gets the kill, then he's clearly not B enough or B enough.

Make sure the fight is harrowing enough that anyone who has a plausible chance will try a lethal shot at him, hoping to snatch some thin chance of victory from a near-certain defeat. If they have time to think about who gets the glory, then they're not scared enough!

This is true. If the Opponent is tough enough, they are not going to care as much who takes him down. Also it may force them to work together.

Leon
2010-12-03, 02:01 AM
The last one to do damage.
If they cant sort out this in party then really its not a issue.

Seerow
2010-12-03, 02:02 AM
I agree with making the BBEGs level 1 minion who was left unhassled in the background due to his absolute lack of threat sneak in and deal the finishing blow, after years of torment at his master's hand.

Then watch your players explode when they realize what happened.

Otherworld Odd
2010-12-03, 02:05 AM
I have to concur with no correct answer. I think as long as he dies, they should be happy. Perhaps the two can have a go at his corpse to get in their 'revenge'.

Or let the underling guy who never gets any action and has hardly any connection to him deal the killing blow. That would be ironic, wouldn't it.

huttj509
2010-12-03, 02:42 AM
They arrive in the throne room to find the BBEG dead on his throne. Heart attack.

Or, you know, the others are occupied and the 2 in question charge the throne room together, knowing that trying to take him alone would be foolish. Then whomever gets the killing blow gets it.

If it comes down to cinematic "post death finishing blow", then I'd say #1. I mean, #2 should really avoid the revenge killing thing. Dark path for one seen to be following in BBEG's footsteps.

I mean, #2's family was killed because they were in the wrong place with the wrong rank. #1's tryin to finish what her mother started, hunting down and stopping the former teammate who killed her mother...and her.

Narrative necessity seems to lean strongly towards #1 there.

Edit: re: underling treatment revenge kill...sorry, if it's in LotR it doesn't get to be considered a surprise twist, unless pulled off really dang well.

Or if your group only saw the movies...

Killer Angel
2010-12-03, 03:13 AM
PC # 1 should get the kill.
Of course, we're not counting the BBEG's opinion on the whole matter, so, who knows, maybe he will defend himself... :smalltongue: