PDA

View Full Version : Corrosive Acid [3.5]

Incan Road
2010-12-02, 06:01 PM
So, I was I was looking through the Monster Manual and I noticed that a Green Dragon has a 30-foot cone of corrosive acid gas. After looking through the DMG and it reads:

Corrosive acids deal 1d6 points of damage per round of exposure except in the case of total immersion (such as into a vat of acid), which deals 10d6 points of damage per round. An attack with acid, such as from a hurled vial or a monster's spittle, counts as a round. The fumes from most acids are inhaled poisons. Those who come close enough to a large body of acid to dunk a creature in it must make a DC 13 fortitude save or take one point of constitution damage. All such characters must make a second save 1 minute later or take another 1d4 points of constitution damage.

My questions are: 1.does the dragon's gas count as total immersion and thus can be inhaled, 2.how long does the gas surround its targets, if at all, and 3. if the gas is able to still surround its targets do they continue to take damage?

I can't seem to find any rules on the dissipation of gases and I don't think that the gas counts a spittle, seeing as how one specifically states it's a gas and spittle denotes a viscous liquid.

Any help would be appreciated.

hamishspence
2010-12-02, 06:08 PM
It does whatever damage is listed in the statblock- with no lingering effects.

Just as a dragon that breathes fire, doesn't have the same effects as DMG fire.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-02, 06:36 PM
Hamishspence is completely correct. Though I'll say Green and Black dragons are some of the more appropriate dragons to give the feats that make breath weapons linger or continue damage.

hamishspence
2010-12-02, 06:39 PM
Yes- the ones in Draconomicon- those are good feats.

Incan Road
2010-12-02, 07:26 PM
Alright thanks, I've just never really have done much with either Dragons or corrosive acid.

AslanCross
2010-12-02, 09:12 PM
The Breath Weapon of a Dragon is an (Su) effect; an elemental blast of energy (as weird as calling acid an "energy type" is). It'd say that it's similar to an evocation spell---the effect is completely magical and dissipates immediately.

Even acidic conjuration spells like Orb of Acid don't linger; I'd think the acid it produces is so volatile that it reacts quickly (hence the immediate damage) and ends up breaking down into its by-products within seconds (which include melted flesh).

Of course, there are the Clinging Breath and Lingering Breath feats.