PDA

View Full Version : D&D and Eating abnormal things

Desril
2010-12-02, 07:24 PM
Alright, I have a few questions about food and D&D.

What are the rules for eating rotten or spoiled food/meat?
What sort of things would have to be done for a humanoid corpse to make it edible? (My next character is a cannibalistic barbarian)
What would happen if you ate an aberration?
Are there any feats that would allow you to eat spoiled/rotten/dead/uncooked/whatever without problems?

awa
2010-12-02, 08:23 PM
scavenging gullet from lords of madness lets you gain food from anything organic and gives you bonus to saves vrs disease and ingested poison but you need to take aberrant blood first.

Zeofar
2010-12-02, 08:26 PM
What sort of things would have to be done for a humanoid corpse to make it edible? (My next character is a cannibalistic barbarian)

What sort of things would have to be done for an animal corpse to make it edible? I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here; I don't think there's anything specifically different between the preparation humanoid flesh and that of any old animal.

Callista
2010-12-02, 08:27 PM
What are the rules for eating rotten or spoiled food/meat?Most likely you would find yourself making a Fortitude save against some kind of disease.

What sort of things would have to be done for a humanoid corpse to make it edible? (My next character is a cannibalistic barbarian)Cook it, like you would with an animal corpse. The risk of disease is higher when eating your own species because diseases transfer more easily between organisms with the same biology, but cooking tends to kill most things.

What would happen if you ate an aberration?Depends on the aberration. Could be anything from absolutely nothing to poisoning to disease to some kind of horrible transformation or permanent madness. Aberrations are supposed to be unpredictable like that.

Are there any feats that would allow you to eat spoiled/rotten/dead/uncooked/whatever without problems?Anything that gave you disease immunity would do it.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-12-02, 08:32 PM
If I remember right, cannibalism results in a disease called blue-gut. It's in BoVD. As for rotten food that'd be filth-fever in the DMG. This is of course subject to DM discretion. I can't imagine that eating abberations is a good idea, but I don't think the rules say anything specific.

Mikeavelli
2010-12-02, 09:55 PM
blue guts comes from eating "disgusting creatures" like Otyughs, gibbering mouthers, etc.

Eating evil outsiders causes something called Soul Rot, if you feel inclined to eat them.

Both of those are in the BoVD

SRD Diseases (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Disease) might also result from eating unusual things.

LibraryOgre
2010-12-02, 11:24 PM

What are the rules for eating rotten or spoiled food/meat?
What would happen if you ate an aberration?
Are there any feats that would allow you to eat spoiled/rotten/dead/uncooked/whatever without problems?

A) Ideally, you're either going to have it be a poison or a disease vector; eating rotten meat will expose you to X number of doses, requiring X number of saves.

B) Generally, the main thing is going to be clean it and cook it. Try to avoid opening the abdominal sack or let the junk in the intestines get out. You'll also want to avoid the brain... there's a number of things that can be passed that way. One of the big things is that anything this guy had that he'd immunized against, but you haven't, is likely to get passed on.

C) Up to the DM; it's entirely possible that aberrations will taste like chocolate souffle... and/or be deadly poisons, since they are so alien to our world. You know those arsenic-based bacteria that were announced today? That may be the remote ancestor of an aboleth.

D) Not sure.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-02, 11:29 PM
You could just have the cleric cast purify food and water on the body first and then eat it.

Strife Warzeal
2010-12-02, 11:49 PM
Enchant your weapon with the Flaming (or the burst version) enchantment, instant barbecue. Not to mention the mechanical advantages of such an enchantment.

Terumitsu
2010-12-02, 11:52 PM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165297) might be of interest to you.

That aside, I think there is a disease that you can get from cannibalism from the BoVD but other than that, as long as the food is clean and not too eldrich, it should be fine....

big teej
2010-12-03, 01:14 AM
Enchant your weapon with the Flaming (or the burst version) enchantment, instant barbecue. Not to mention the mechanical advantages of such an enchantment.

heh, the other week we had a character roll a 20 on a burst weapon on a dire rat with like 2 hit points remaing

I told him the room was covered in perfectly cooked and prepared... dire rat meat... that smelled delicious

Strife Warzeal
2010-12-03, 01:21 AM
heh, the other week we had a character roll a 20 on a burst weapon on a dire rat with like 2 hit points remaining

I told him the room was covered in perfectly cooked and prepared... dire rat meat... that smelled delicious

The question is did they do away with rations for that day, and instead have fresh meat?

Eldan
2010-12-03, 06:33 AM
Well, depending on how far gone the meat is, I'd have them make saves against nausea, poison and/or disease.

Eating humanoids in the real world isn't really different from eating animals. Eating humans carries quite a few disease risks, though, such as the mad-cow-disease like Kuru. In D&D, there's also the risk of ghoulification.

hamishspence
2010-12-03, 06:38 AM
And in 4E, Wendigo-ification. (wendigo is in Demonomicon)

Eldan
2010-12-03, 06:41 AM
Ah, yes. That probably too. It's in Fiend Folio in 3.X.

hamishspence
2010-12-03, 06:43 AM
Yup- though in FF, you can't spontaneously become a wendigo normally- one has to turn you into another one.

4E making them a kind of demon, which could infect people who committed cannibalism- is a bit different from the FF version.

Eldan
2010-12-03, 06:51 AM
Eh, that's just the kind of thing the DM should use anyway, if it's appropriate. It works with the original legend.

klemdakherzbag
2010-12-03, 09:39 AM
I had a player eat a handful of freshly slain white dragon wyrmling, only after he had received a vision that told him that the "Power you seek is found in the dragon". Eating it without said vision (or proper cooking) would have resulted in a gut-wrenching sickness.