PDA

View Full Version : all out homebrew vs stanard setting (any)

randomhero00
2010-12-02, 08:01 PM
what have you had more luck with? I'm not really asking the in betweens (as they are the most numberous...i.e. take a standard setting and adjust a few things to your liking.)

I've made a completely homebrew world. We may play it. Just wondering how its worked out so far for other people.

Ormur
2010-12-02, 08:30 PM
How do you define all out homebrew. I kept the standard planes and gods just because I didn't want to focus on them. I made a completely new world (or more accurately, continent). One DM I'm playing under changed the planes too and another of my DM's kicked out the standard gods too. I actually find it pretty strange to think of adventuring in a D&D setting someone other than the DM wrote and mapped out.

randomhero00
2010-12-02, 08:34 PM
How do you define all out homebrew. I kept the standard planes and gods just because I didn't want to focus on them. I made a completely new world (or more accurately, continent). One DM I'm playing under changed the planes too and another of my DM's kicked out the standard gods too. I actually find it pretty strange to think of adventuring in a D&D setting someone other than the DM wrote and mapped out.

Hmmm. Interesting point. I suppose the definition of all out homebrew is difficult to describe. But it sounds like that's what you do. Also interesting that you find it natural. I wonder how many play standard vs homebrew?

Sometimes my players go "wha?" when something especially homebrewish happens, if you know what I mean. But other than that they seem to like it. Except we're going to try pure pathfinder, just to try it. Not sure how long that will last. It will be an interesting experiment.

Have you and all your players already tried the standard settings? Or did you go straight to homebrew?

Ormur
2010-12-02, 08:44 PM
Straight to homebrew, I think we're all running our first campaigns. Both have been playing longer than me and I think almost all of their D&D games were in homebrew settings so it's just how it's always been done. But still, we use standard monsters and only play with the few minor house rule tweaks any group does. When you aren't delving deep into the cosmology I imagine it's just like playing in a setting you don't know inside out.