PDA

View Full Version : Two New Saurial Races (PEACH)

LOTRfan
2010-12-02, 11:40 PM
The following are two carnivorous Saurials to counter the four more well known one, and to balance the scale between carnivores and herbivores between the two. Yes, I stole the name from the Land Before Time, but it fit the naming conventions of the other saurial races. :smallannoyed:

Sharptooth
Large Humanoid (Reptilian)
Hit Die: 2d8+7 (16 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 13 (-1 size, +4 natural), touch 9, flat footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+7
Attack: Shortspear +3 melee (1d6+2 damage), or Bite +3 melee (1d6+2 damage), or tail +3 melee (1d4+2 damage)
Full Attack: Shortspear +3 melee (1d6+2 damage) or Bite +3 melee (1d6+2 damage) and tail +1 melee (1d4+1 damage)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with tail)
Special Attacks: -----
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent, Cold Torpor, Protection to Sonic Attacks, Vulnerability to Gas Attacks, lowlight vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will -1
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8
Skills: Intimidate +4, Spot +4
Feats: Toughness
Challenge Rating: 1
Environment: Warm Forests
Organization: Solitary, Pair, or band (5-18 plus leader of 5th level)
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2

A massive humanoid tyrannosaur lumbers out of the jungle flinging spears. It roars loudly, and runs towards you.

The Sharpteeth are a race of Saurials descended from Tyrannosaurs. They are extremely violent and antisocial, barely tolerating others of their own kind. As a result, they have no true society, and are just lumbering brutes out to kill and feed.

Sharpteeth are not animals, however, and can be reasoned with (provided their hunger has been satiated). Unfortunately, Sharpteeth see other races as nothing better than food. To them, everything, intelligent or otherwise, is a prospective meal.

Sharpteeth worship Pestis, the Saurial God of Destruction. They give in to all base emotions, engorging themselves whenever they can. Sharpteeth occasionally gather in small bands to hunt down much larger prey, like Diplodocus.

Combat
Unlike other Saurials, Sharpteeth have weak arms, so they are not viable weapons. Instead, they rely on a vicious bite attack and their tails, and they are also known for their deadly spear attacks.

Cold Torpor (Ex): Saurials are warm-blooded creatures, but they retain heat poorly in cold environments. A saurial suffers a -5 penalty to Fortitude saving throws made to avoid subdual damage from cold environments and takes double the normal amount of subdual damage for failing those saving throws. In cooler climates, saurials bundle up to keep warm, for they can easily die from exposure in an environment that a human would find merely uncomfortable.

Protection from Sonic Attacks (Ex): A saurial's earholes are well protected, giving it a +4 circumstance bonus on saving throws against sonic effects and attacks.

Scent (Ex): Saurials have the scent special quality, as described in the Monster Manual.

Vulnerability to Gas Attacks (Ex): A saurial's metabolism and reliance on scent makes it vulnerable to attacks conveyed through gas, including stinking cloud, cloudkill, and poisonous gas. Saurials suffer a -4 penalty on saving throws against gas-based effects and attacks.

Tail Reach (Ex): Sharptooth saurials have 10-foot reach for attacks with their tails.

Sharptooth Racial Traits
• +2 Str, +2 Con
• Large Humanoid (Reptilian); As Large creatures, Sharpteeth gain a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, and a -4 size bonus on Hide checks, and they must use larger weapons than humans use.
• Base Speed 30 ft.
• Lowlight Vision
• Cold Torpor (Ex): Saurials are warm-blooded creatures, but they retain heat poorly in cold environments. A saurial suffers a -5 penalty to Fortitude saving throws made to avoid subdual damage from cold environments and takes double the normal amount of subdual damage for failing those saving throws. In cooler climates, saurials bundle up to keep warm, for they can easily die from exposure in an environment that a human would find merely uncomfortable.
• Protection from Sonic Attacks (Ex): A saurial's earholes are well protected, giving it a +4 circumstance bonus on saving throws against sonic effects and attacks.
• Vulnerability to Gas Attacks (Ex): A saurial's metabolism and reliance on scent makes it vulnerable to attacks conveyed through gas, including stinking cloud, cloudkill, and poisonous gas. Saurials suffer a -4 penalty on saving throws against gas-based effects and attacks.
• Racial Levels: A Sharptooth has 2 levels of Humanoid. This grants it a BAB of +1 and Fort +0, Ref +3, WIll +3.
• Racial Skills: (2+INT) x4 plus (2+INT)
• Racial Feats: A Sharptooth's racial levels grant it 1 feat.
• +4 natural armor
• Scent
• Bite Attack (1d6 damage)
• Tail Attack (1d4 Damage)
• Favored Class: Barbarian
• Level Adjustment: +2

Saurial Racial Class

{table=head]Hit Dice|Skills|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1d8|
(2+INT) x4|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Starting Racial Traits, Feat

1d8|
-----|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|+2 Natural Armor, +2 Str

2d8|
(2+INT)|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|1 Bite Attack (1d6 damage)

2d8|
-----|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Scent, +2 natural armor[/table]

Starting Racial Traits
• +2 Con
• Large Humanoid (Reptilian); As Large creatures, Sharpteeth gain a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, and a -4 size bonus on Hide checks, and they must use larger weapons than humans use.
• Base Speed 30 ft.
• Lowlight Vision
• Cold Torpor (Ex): Saurials are warm-blooded creatures, but they retain heat poorly in cold environments. A saurial suffers a -5 penalty to Fortitude saving throws made to avoid subdual damage from cold environments and takes double the normal amount of subdual damage for failing those saving throws. In cooler climates, saurials bundle up to keep warm, for they can easily die from exposure in an environment that a human would find merely uncomfortable.
• Protection from Sonic Attacks (Ex): A saurial's earholes are well protected, giving it a +4 circumstance bonus on saving throws against sonic effects and attacks.
• Vulnerability to Gas Attacks (Ex): A saurial's metabolism and reliance on scent makes it vulnerable to attacks conveyed through gas, including stinking cloud, cloudkill, and poisonous gas. Saurials suffer a -4 penalty on saving throws against gas-based effects and attacks.

Class Skills
A Sharptooth’s class skills are Intimidate (Cha), Spot (Wis), Listen (Wis), and Jump (Str).

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Sharpteeth are proficient with no armor, and all simple weapons.

Natural Armor: At 2nd level, a Sharpteeth gains +2 to natural armor. This increases by 2 again at 4th level.

Bite Attack: At 3rd level, Sharpteeth gains a bite attack that does 1d6 damage.

Scent (Ex): At 4th level, Sharpteeth gain scent. A creature with the scent ability can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet. If it is downwind, the range is 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges. The creature detects another creature’s presence but not its specific location. Noting the direction of the scent is a move action. If it moves within 5 feet of the scent’s source, the creature can pinpoint that source.

Ability Increase: At 2nd level, Sharpteeth get a +2 ability increase to strength.

Curvedclaw
Medium Humanoid (Reptilian)
Hit Die: 2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (+4 natural, +1 Dex), touch 11, flat footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Claw +2 melee (1d4+1 damage), or tail +2 melee (1d3+1 damage)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +2 melee (1d4+1 damage), or tail +2 melee (1d3+1 damage)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -----
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent, Cold Torpor, Protection to Sonic Attacks, Vulnerability to Gas Attacks
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will -1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8
Skills: Intimidate +4, Knowledge (Geography) +5, Survival +5
Feats: Track
Challenge Rating: 1
Environment: Warm Deserts
Organization: Solitary, Pack (3-6), or Tribe (11-22 plus leader of 5th level and 10% noncombatants)
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Lawful Evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2

A large, reptilian creature stands atop a sand dune. Suddenly, three more appear from behind the dune to the side. All four large, partially feathered humanoids surround you.

Curvedclaws are a race of humanoid dromaeosaurids, specifically looking like a cross between a humanoid, deinonychus, and velociraptor. The Curvedclaws have lived in the deserts for hundreds of years now, but it is originally thought that they have come from jungles. Why this migration has occurred is unknown, but many believe that the early Curvedclaw civilization could not deal with the constant threats from dinosaurs and the neighboring Saurial race, the Sharpteeth.

Curvedclaws have adapted to their environment, being fast hunters and ambushers. Their home has little food or water, so groups wandering the desert seem to stay small enough to get rid of any unnecessary worries about a lack of food or water. Unfortunately, this view has also made them very cruel in disposition towards others, including other Curvedclaw tribes.

Curvedclaws are nomadic, and as a result can rarely be found in the same area for more than two weeks. They engage in bloody tribal wars with neighbors, and some of the more depraved practice cannibalism. In their minds, if you are not strong enough to defend your land, you are nothing better than livestock.

Combat
Curvedclaws prefer quick and bloody combat. They set up ambushes, and once the trap is set, they run in and rip enemies apart.

Cold Torpor (Ex): Saurials are warm-blooded creatures, but they retain heat poorly in cold environments. A saurial suffers a -5 penalty to Fortitude saving throws made to avoid subdual damage from cold environments and takes double the normal amount of subdual damage for failing those saving throws. In cooler climates, saurials bundle up to keep warm, for they can easily die from exposure in an environment that a human would find merely uncomfortable.

Protection from Sonic Attacks (Ex): A saurial's earholes are well protected, giving it a +4 circumstance bonus on saving throws against sonic effects and attacks.

Scent (Ex): Saurials have the scent special quality, as described in the Monster Manual.

Vulnerability to Gas Attacks (Ex): A saurial's metabolism and reliance on scent makes it vulnerable to attacks conveyed through gas, including stinking cloud, cloudkill, and poisonous gas. Saurials suffer a -4 penalty on saving throws against gas-based effects and attacks.

Curvedclaw Racial Traits
• +2 Dex, +2 Wis
• Medium Humanoid (Reptilian);
• Base Speed 40 ft.
• Lowlight Vision
• Racial Levels: A Curvedclaw has 2 levels of Humanoid. This grants it a BAB of +1 and Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +0.
• Racial Skills: (2+INT) x4 plus (2+INT)
• Racial Feats: A Curvedclaw's racial levels grant it 1 feat.
• +4 natural armor
• Scent
• Tail Attack (1d3 Damage)
• Claw Attacks (1d4 damage)
• Favored Class: Ranger
• Level Adjustment: +2

Saurial Racial Class

{table=head]Hit Dice|Skills|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1d8|
(2+INT) x4|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Starting Racial Traits, Feat

1d8|
-----|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|+2 Natural Armor, +2 Dex

2d8|
(2+INT)|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|2 Claw Attacks (1d4 damage)

2d8|
-----|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Scent, +2 natural armor[/table]

Starting Racial Traits
• +2 Wis
• Large Humanoid (Reptilian);
• Base Speed 30 ft.
• Lowlight Vision
• Claw Attacks (1d4 damage)

Class Skills
A Curvedclaw’s class skills are Spot (Wis), Listen (Wis), Knowledge (Geography) (Int), Survival (Wis), and Jump (Str).

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Curvedclaws are proficient with no armor, and all simple weapons.

Natural Armor: At 2nd level, a Curvedclaws gains +2 to natural armor. This increases by 2 again at 4th level.

Bite Attack: At 3rd level, Curvedclaws gains a bite attack that does 1d6 damage.

Scent (Ex): At 4th level, Curvedclaws gain scent. A creature with the scent ability can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet. If it is downwind, the range is 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges. The creature detects another creature’s presence but not its specific location. Noting the direction of the scent is a move action. If it moves within 5 feet of the scent’s source, the creature can pinpoint that source.

Ability Increase: At 2nd level, Curvedclaws get a +2 ability increase to strength.

Twin Dragons
2010-12-03, 12:53 AM
I really like 'em. Looking forward to tthe raptorfolk.

LOTRfan
2010-12-03, 10:20 PM
Thank you. The Curvedclaws are up. They are not much different than the Sharpteeth, but I felt that I had to follow the pattern of the other Saurials; Net ability score bonus 4, natural armor +4, and 2d8 HD. Any suggestions on how to make them a little more... different from the Sharpteeth?

togapika
2010-12-04, 02:20 AM
I must now play a Sharptooth named Chomper with a fascination for eating bugs...

Jarrick
2010-12-04, 07:38 AM
These are good. Having grown up with that movie from my earliest memories, however, if my mother found out I was playing a sharptooth she would likely say "Awww!". :smalltongue:

Personally, I'd bump up the sharptooth's bite damage to a d8 to reflect its large size. And if it weren't for their high natural armor and (to a lesser extent) scent, I think you could swing merely a +1 LA for the curvedclaws.

Now I just need to come up with a setting or something to put these in. Sadly, dinosaurs arent taken very seriously in most settings, or many groups for that matter. :smallfrown: I'd like to play my eberron Halfing dinosaur-rider without getting smirked at. :smallannoyed:

LOTRfan
2010-12-04, 10:06 AM
These are good. Having grown up with that movie from my earliest memories, however, if my mother found out I was playing a sharptooth she would likely say "Awww!". :smalltongue:

Yeah, I actually remember going into the movie theaters to see it. I had to be two or three, at the time. Good memories. :smallsmile:

Now I just need to come up with a setting or something to put these in. Sadly, dinosaurs arent taken very seriously in most settings, or many groups for that matter. :smallfrown: I'd like to play my eberron Halfing dinosaur-rider without getting smirked at. :smallannoyed:

I had that initial problem as well. To counter that, I made animal-only feats that mimic the behavior of dinosaurs. For example, I created a Raptor feat that allowed their foreclaws to work in many ways like a vorpal weapon. Except, instead of an instant kill, it drops an opponent within one category of you and whose HD does not exceed yours to -1 hp, as its intestines slowly fall out of the huge gaping wound.

Needless to say, watching their favorite NPC be eviscerated and eaten alive left quite an impression. No more dino-silliness after that. :smallamused: