PDA

View Full Version : a question on posting

big teej
2010-12-03, 12:04 AM
outside of the 'time elapsed' rule between posting

is there a rule about how many (or how often) an individual may start a new thread?

I ask because on more than one occaision I get MANY?* ideas... that have NOTHING to do with each other, and I feel obligated to make a different thread for each (but consolidating as much as possible)

but I always wonder.... "is this being obnoxious?" "am I allowed to do that?"

so, to ease my concious....

is there a written or unwritten rule about this sort of thing?

*example: in just the past day or two I've made new threads for "a solution to war in dnd" "undead characters" " a template question" an idea that I may have put in the wrong board (but I wasn't sure) and now this. and that's just what I can think of.

:smallfrown: if there is a rule against this I completely missed it and I'm really really really sorry:elan:

Zeofar
2010-12-03, 12:48 AM
It seems all right. As long as you're not violating the "One Topic, One Thread" rule or deliberately attempting to create far more threads than are necessary in order to be disruptive (essentially trolling), I don't see why creating a large (if one considers the amount of threads you have started as large) number of threads would be against the rules. The portions of the rules which I would think relevant are these:

One Topic, One Thread
There should be only one active thread for a specific topic in most cases. Please check and see if there is already an active thread (one that has been posted on in the last six weeks) discussing a topic before posting a new one.

---------------------------------------------
Minor Spam
Minor spam refers to posts that do not add to any discussion...
---------------------------------------------
Spam
Chain letters, get-rich-quick schemes, and overseas investment opportunities are considered spam, as are a variety of other pointless topics. Generally, you know when you're posting spam, so don't do it. Posting spam to the boards is a banning offense, especially when it violates the "one topic, one thread" guideline...

If your threads contain content that was not simply copied and pasted, is actually meant to have a point, isn't obviously rubbish like a chain-letter, and isn't already being discussed in an recent thread you're probably fine. Specifically, no, I don't think there are any rules that define a specific number of threads which you are allowed to create in a given time period. If you think that you have too many posts on varying subjects that have relatively simple answers you might want to try out the threads for easy RAW questions (there's one for 3.5 and one for 4e and other systems).

big teej
2010-12-03, 01:05 AM
It seems all right. As long as you're not violating the "One Topic, One Thread" rule or deliberately attempting to create far more threads than are necessary in order to be disruptive (essentially trolling), I don't see why creating a large (if one considers the amount of threads you have started as large) number of threads would be against the rules. The portions of the rules which I would think relevant are these:

excellent, I was worried that my "Inspiration has struck me repeatedly" moments might get me in trouble, I always do my best to make sure my specific question hasn't been addressed recently (to date I don't think I've ever had one that has.... but I could be mistaken)

thanks for the help.

if we could get a mod to confirm this and lock the thread I think we'd be good to go.

Mystic Muse
2010-12-03, 04:20 AM
However, if you are going to be posting large amounts of threads, it might be a good idea to wait a little while between each. It gives people time to answer your other questions and it won't look like you're spamming the forum, which may drive people away from answering your question.

big teej
2010-12-03, 09:19 AM
However, if you are going to be posting large amounts of threads, it might be a good idea to wait a little while between each. It gives people time to answer your other questions and it won't look like you're spamming the forum, which may drive people away from answering your question.

heh... that's actually very helpful as well

Roland St. Jude
2010-12-03, 01:19 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Those seem like reasonable suggestions. I would also add that this is a discussion forum, and inherent in that is that you bring some discussion to the table in each. A series of single sentence thread-starting reflecting little thought on the part of the poster quickly begins to look like spammy trolling.