PDA

View Full Version : How often do you play?

Sir Swindle89
2010-12-03, 09:51 AM
I was kinda curious as to how often people on here actually play the RPG's we talk about.

Personally, I have a long running 4E game 1 weekend a month all day. Some of the people for that are in BESM game that runs on non-conflicting week ends also once a month also all day. The night before one of those monthly games I run Ars Magica with those guys.

Every Thursday I have a really ADD group that switches systems about every month and alternates DM a bunch.

During school I usually run one weekly game (Dark Heresy this time round) and play in a weekly game (looks like Star Wars Saga Edition)

so thats 15 days a month I theoretically plan to play D&D barring cancelations, life is good.

oxybe
2010-12-03, 09:54 AM
i usually play twice a week with a third monthly/bi-monthly game on some saturdays.

kkortekaas
2010-12-03, 09:55 AM
My group doesn't get together nearly often enough, it averages out to once a month for 4 or 5 hours.

Aotrs Commander
2010-12-03, 09:57 AM
Under optimal conditions, two evenings per week (realsitically, about two hours per session) and about four day-quest per year during holiday periods (at weekends, nowadays, but the timing has persisted for twenty years.)

(I also, under optimal conditions, have an evening's wargaming per week as well.)

Kaww
2010-12-03, 10:09 AM
About 30 hours in 4 weeks. 2 or 3 sessions in 4 weeks.

Kol Korran
2010-12-03, 10:15 AM
i join those who play all too rarely- we used to play once every 2-3 weeks (for 5-6 hours), but due to some RL constraints of mine (the DM), we now meet about once every 4-5 weeks.... :smallsigh:

i miss regular, reasonably frequency playing :smallfrown:

Black_Zawisza
2010-12-03, 10:16 AM
5-10 hours, every one or two weeks.

GoatBoy
2010-12-03, 10:24 AM
I run a game for about 3 hours, once per week. But we have to cancel sometimes since we're all in school and stuff just comes up.

Ideal situation for me would be running one game a week, and playing in one, about 3 hours each time.

Ghotifish
2010-12-03, 10:26 AM
Sundays from 12pm until the comic shop closes at 7. Good times.

pffh
2010-12-03, 10:26 AM
Not as often as I'd like. I would like to have a 4-6 hour session every week or every other week but right now we are lucky if we can get one session a month.

WarKitty
2010-12-03, 10:27 AM
Once a week, for 5-6 hours.

Coplantor
2010-12-03, 10:29 AM
Well, our entire group decided to play once a week every saturday for 4 to 5 hours. So far, we've played four times in a year.

Amphetryon
2010-12-03, 10:31 AM
I DM one game a week, for 4ish hours.

I wish I could play. :smallfrown:

Ormur
2010-12-03, 10:33 AM
On average probably about once a week for 5-6 hours. It's split between three groups so sometimes it's twice a week and then there are weeks with no sessions if people are out of the country or as now when there are exams.

Gnaritas
2010-12-03, 10:37 AM
Once per week for 3 hours.

bokodasu
2010-12-03, 10:44 AM
Once a week, 3 hours.

My DM plays 7 days a week.

comicshorse
2010-12-03, 10:49 AM
Once a week for 4 hours (Fading Suns)
Once a fortnight for 4 and a half hours ( NWoD Changeling.)
Once a week for five hours ( DnD 3.5 Eberron)
Once every fortnight for 10 hours ( Dark Ages Vampire thopugh we've played through to the 18th Century)

Baveboi
2010-12-03, 10:50 AM
The real answer to this question, and everyone would have to agree here, is that WE all play whenever we can.
Work, school, family and other things tend to get in the way of hobbies like these, so we just spend our time with it wisely.

If I'm wrong please do correct me.

WalkingTarget
2010-12-03, 10:56 AM
Well, back in the heyday of my gaming group (i.e. during my undergraduate education) we played around 3-5 weekly games (depending on who was running what during any given semester). Not everybody was in every game, but we tended to have a quorum for play on just about any night and so had occasional pick-up games on off-nights using a very quick-play-friendly system a few of the guys put together.

These days: not much, between friends having children, me going back to grad school, and simple geographical separation it's difficult for me to join in on any sort of regular RP game. There is a weekly board game night within my department here, though. So that's something at least.

big teej
2010-12-03, 11:05 AM
I was kinda curious as to how often people on here actually play the RPG's we talk about.

snip

so thats 15 days a month I theoretically plan to play D&D barring cancelations, life is good.

Sundays from 12pm until the comic shop closes at 7. Good times.

My DM plays 7 days a week.

I am jealous......

as said above, I play WHENEVER given the opportunity

over the past summer, before college, this was between 0 and 7 days a week, typically for a minimum of 4 hours (and a max of something like 18 hours)

once I got a group together on campus, we meet once a week
sundays from 6:30 to 10:30

and lately go a little over so as not to rush things.

next semester I may have 2 groups. both once a week for 4 hours (depends how many new players we get)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-03, 11:10 AM
3e I am not playing in any game, two of my friends have stated their desire to run a game, but so far I got no word on when we are going to start playing.

Last year (before the stupid university entrance course I am taking) I played every Sunday from 11:30 to 16:ish so 4-5 hours in a 4e campaign.

Sipex
2010-12-03, 11:14 AM
Once a month, on a Saturday, 5 hours.

I'm the DM and I really wish I got more time to play. Due to conflicting player schedules though, Saturday is the only day we can do it >.<

valadil
2010-12-03, 11:19 AM
I GM every other week for about four hours. I play with a group that runs alternating games once a week. I'm also in a weekend group that was supposed to meet bi-weekly, but actually works out to monthly. So I think I average 1.75 game sessions per week.

I really like GMing bi-weekly. When I ran weekly games, all my free time had to go toward writing. And I was still stressed for ideas. Running every other week lets me incubate ideas for a whole week and then spend the next week writing them down.

Kerrin
2010-12-03, 12:04 PM
Due to schedule conflicts and busy lives, our group usually plays about once a month for 4-5 hours.

Needless to say, our adventures move along rather slowly.

Adam...?
2010-12-03, 12:17 PM
We try to find time to get the guys together for DnD on a weekly basis. However, due to chaotic work/class/exam schedules, it's not uncommon for us to miss weeks. Sessions usually run for 4-5 hours a pop. Seeing as I'm a slacker, low-prep DM, I find it to be a pretty good pace.

Morbis Meh
2010-12-03, 12:40 PM
This year I play two days a week, one on saturday with a group of hardcore RPGers and one on sundays with a more laidback crowd.

Vortling
2010-12-03, 12:41 PM
I play twice a week for about 3 hours each session with one bi monthly game on saturdays. However I GM both weekly games so time I'm actually playing is less.

Seerow
2010-12-03, 12:50 PM
Once every other week from 2pm until whenever everyone feels like going home (usually sometime between 9pm and midnight)

ajkkjjk52
2010-12-03, 12:53 PM
Currently, one session (lasting 5-9 hours) almost every Satuday. It's the most regular game I've played in in years.

Tyndmyr
2010-12-03, 01:15 PM
Typically, a normalish session on weds of about five hours. And on Sat, a 10-14 hour session.

We occasionally do more, but sometimes we skip a day, so that's about average. The game played rotates frequently, as with 15 hrs of gameplay a week, we carve through campaigns pretty rapidly.

Sipex
2010-12-03, 01:15 PM
I am envious. I wish I could get my players out that often.

Tyndmyr
2010-12-03, 01:18 PM
We'd play more, but the married members of the group can't generally justify additional gaming time. It helps that we play at my place, and therefore need not care about game shop hours, and we're all in our 20s, so we don't have to worry about minors.

Sleep is optional. We have Mt Dew for that.

Sipex
2010-12-03, 01:22 PM
Our roadblock is conflicting professional schedules, otherwise we'd be golden. My wife and I both play, one player is single (and would play as often as possible if we had games ready), and the other two are dating each other.

Unforunately I work 9-5 (Mon-Fri), the single guy is a student from another city (so he takes holidays and some weekends away), the guy in the couple works nights and the girl works most weekends (she usually books time off for our game).

Damn you life! Damn you...

d13
2010-12-03, 01:33 PM
On an ideal schedule, every weekend for about 6 - 8 hours, alternating between two groups for tabletop; and once a week on a pretty light hearted Fantasy Grounds game.

On a realistic schedule, once a month with each group, more often than not playing the two games on the same weekend; and whenever we are all online on our FG game.

Bagelz
2010-12-03, 01:46 PM
3ish hours every thursday night (dm),
5-6 hours every other sunday(player),
and 20ish hours once or twice a year a con or two.

so average 6hrs a week.

Optimator
2010-12-03, 02:29 PM
Once a week for around eight hours, and sometimes in the middle of the week for 5-15 hours.

Tryll
2010-12-03, 02:41 PM
In theory, we play every other Saturday for about 6 or 7 hours.

In practice, its not uncommon to push a game back a week (especially now during the holidays). So instead of playing twice a month or more, we actually average about one-and-a-half games per month.

Now back in "ye olden days" when I was in college, we played every Monday and Wednesday night for about 4-5 hours per game. Ah, those were the days....

P.S. In case it makes a difference to anyone: Currently playing 3.5, with an increasingly heavy Pathfinder influence.

Elfin
2010-12-03, 02:44 PM
Pretty traditional here - usually once a week, for around four hours. The group's often quite large, though, and so everyone can't always make it.

Dvil
2010-12-03, 03:18 PM
We try for once a week, for about 2 hours, but unfortunately a couple of the players aren't all that committed and if two or more or off it's often not wirth running the session. Ah well, can't be helped.

Meek
2010-12-03, 05:09 PM
I don't really have time anymore due to the horrors of both academia and 'murkan living to play in real time, even online through maptools and such.

However, play by posts and play by email, and things like that, allow people to pretty much "play" persistently whenever they have time. While some people would argue that this isn't playing at all, I think those people can eat boot.

I'm in two play-by-posts that had been fairly regular up until finals week, where everybody curses the skies and wishes their university were atomized.

TheStillWind
2010-12-03, 05:28 PM
I sadly have no group to play with. I can only play pbp. I live in Philadelphia btw, if anyone has any room in their group.

Thurbane
2010-12-03, 05:56 PM
We play once a week (Monday nights) for about 4 hours.

Would love to play more, but RL gets in the way, especially since a few of the guys have children.

Dralnu
2010-12-03, 06:41 PM
In the summer my RL group averages once every two weeks. Since school started in september though, we've only had two sessions so far... Hoping to have another this weekend but it might get cancelled.

:smallfrown:

Timeless Error
2010-12-03, 06:48 PM
My group and I usually meet every weekend for a time period of two to five hours (which is amazing considering the seemingly perfect incongruency in our schedules :smallannoyed:).

rubycona
2010-12-03, 07:00 PM
I play theoretically "once a week" with my weekend group, but they suck - due to scheduling problems, we tend to average out about 1-2 times per month, for 5-9 hour games, generally.

We have a friend, with whom we play a "mini" D&D game... just me, him, and my husband... and we literally play every chance we get. About twice a week, sometimes more, depending on scheduling, and the games run between about 5 hours to as long as 14 hour sessions (I looooooove playing D&D that long!)

I so want to have a few days off in a row, and just go over, and play D&D from sunup to sundown (equivalently, anyway, getting up early isn't my thing), pass out over at our friend's house, and do the same thing the next day! We're thinking we'll have Christmas that way, this year.

AshDesert
2010-12-03, 07:50 PM
I DM for about 5-6 hours every Wednesday for short Fudge campaigns (usually about 9-10 sessions in one campaign). I play with the same group of people for all day sessions every weekend (either Saturday or Sunday, whichever is more convenient) of D&D 3.5. We're in the middle of our third campaign in three years of playing. We all have a lot of character ideas, and I have a lot of plot ideas, but we like to have long-lasting campaigns. We're pretty consistent in our playing, even though we're all high-school students and most of us have jobs.

Kallisti
2010-12-03, 07:52 PM
Five hours a week, split between two campaigns. There was another game that ran once a week with sessions averaging five to eight hours, sometimes more, but it's currently on hiatus.