PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Shapeable spells

Maelstrom25
2010-12-03, 12:49 PM
I have a question that I hope someone might be able to answer or shed some light on. The particular spell in questions is "Reverse Gravity", though it stands for most any spell that has the shapable quality. Reverse Gravity is built in 10-ft cubes and is shapable, meaning you can create an area out of 10-ft cube building blocks essentially. Here's my question: if a spell is shapable, does that mean you can create seperate areas of the spell in more than one place? Lets say you can make six 10-ft cubes. Can you place 3 of the 10 ft cubes in one area on the map, and then create another 3 of them in a completely different area (assuming these are all within the area of the spell)? Or for that matter could you pick six monsters on the map, who are all spread out, and place a 10-ft cube under each of them, letting them all float into the air? So to reiterate, if a spell is shapable, does the area of said spell all need to be created in a single mass, or can you chop it up into pieces and place them wherever you want in the area of the spell?

Tyndmyr
2010-12-03, 01:12 PM
So to reiterate, if a spell is shapable, does the area of said spell all need to be created in a single mass, or can you chop it up into pieces and place them wherever you want in the area of the spell?

This. If you choose the 10ft squares option, you can stick them wherever(subject to range restrictions, etc).

Look at the Metamagic Shape Spell, or the Archmages Mastery of Shaping for ways to enjoy this ability in all sorts of situations.

Maelstrom25
2010-12-03, 01:36 PM
This. If you choose the 10ft squares option, you can stick them wherever(subject to range restrictions, etc).

Look at the Metamagic Shape Spell, or the Archmages Mastery of Shaping for ways to enjoy this ability in all sorts of situations.

I couldn't find any Shape Spell Metamagic Feat. If you mean Scult spell, that just changes the shape of the spell, but doesn't address my question. The Archmage's Mastery of Shaping, allows you to leave areas inside a spell affect's area untouched, but doesn't address my question either. Do you have anything to site that declares you can place multiples cubes anywhere within the spells range?

Greenish
2010-12-03, 01:39 PM
This. If you choose the 10ft squares option, you can stick them wherever(subject to range restrictions, etc).It's not an option, it's the area of the spell.

The description doesn't state the cubes have to be adjacent to each other, but it continuosly refers to the "shape or area" in singular, so I'd say it's the DM's call. It does say the area is referred to in cubes to make it easier to model irregular shapes.

ericgrau
2010-12-03, 01:41 PM
(S) Shapeable
If an Area or Effect entry ends with "(S)," you can shape the spell. A shaped effect or area can have no dimension smaller than 10 feet. Many effects or areas are given as cubes to make it easy to model irregular shapes. Three-dimensional volumes are most often needed to define aerial or underwater effects and areas.

It isn't specific about it but it seems to imply that you are making a single shape. I would also assume this unless told otherwise (not vis versa), because area spells by default have a single area. It does seem to say that the shape can be funky, though. For example you could snake the spell's volume through multiple creatures as long as that snake is at least 10 feet wide.

Maelstrom25
2010-12-03, 01:54 PM
Right, exactly! I haven't found any solid evidence either way, so I lean towards how the spell is worded, and it seems to indicate a single shape (whether that shape be a plain cube, or some wonky pseudopod shaped area).

Incanur
2010-12-03, 02:13 PM
I tend to think of shapeable spells as having to be continuous but the four 10ft cubes from Sculpt Spell as avoiding this limitation. I'm not sure why; probably because shapeable spells typically describe an area or object (singular) while Sculpt Spell says four 10ft cubes. I know I let a PC use forcecage with Sculpt Spell to trap a whole bunch of opponents in different locations around the map.