PDA

View Full Version : Wild Shape and maneuvers.

WinceRind
2010-12-03, 03:10 PM
I was wondering, is there something in the RAW that would prevent you from performing martial maneuvers while using Wild Shape?

I have a neat idea for a character, most likely Druid 5/ Swordsage 5/ Master of Many forms. They will not be taken in that order, of course, I'm trying to get as many higher level maneuvers as I can so I'll be splicing the levels of swordsage every once in a while.

And yes, I'm aware that this is very far from an optimized build, but I'm not really looking for that. I'm just interested in a cool build that fits a character idea (and it does, to put it in one sentence it's a mystical swordsage who incorporates shapeshifting with various exotic martial arts maneuvers. He goes beyond just learning exotic moves from exotic creatures, when he's doing something called "Tiger strike", he not only emulates a tiger, he becomes a tiger too.) and can do some funny things. Like being a gargantuan Kung-fu ooze.

So, yeah, can you perform martial maneuvers in wild shape?

Pechvarry
2010-12-03, 03:17 PM
I can't imagine what would prevent you.

Urpriest
2010-12-03, 03:17 PM
Nothing stopping you, unless your wildshape is a cocoon or something (then it might run into the inability to do stances while restrained clause).

WinceRind
2010-12-03, 03:29 PM
Nothing stopping you, unless your wildshape is a cocoon or something (then it might run into the inability to do stances while restrained clause).

Even if you're an ooze? Pseudo-pod karate chop!

O_o

Okay, that's nice then. I was just sure that you couldn't use some kind of character abilities while wild-shaped... Either extra-ordinary or supernatural. I'm not sure where I read it, the druid entry in PHB doesn't seem to have anything on it. And now that I've checked, Sneak Attack isn't an (Ex) so martial maneuvers shouldn't really be either.

imperialspectre
2010-12-03, 03:33 PM
You can't use "extraordinary special attacks," i.e. abilities that aren't derived from class levels. Since martial maneuvers are derived from class levels (like rage, which is the example mentioned in the alternate form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm) text), they can be used in wildshape.

Edit: All abilities are either (Ex), (Sp), or (Su), although there's some controversy over whether spells are their own category. Sneak attack is an extraordinary ability because it isn't specified that it's something else. Martial maneuvers are extraordinary abilities unless their description states that they're supernatural, per ToB p.40.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-12-03, 03:34 PM
I too see no problem with this. You might consider Wild Shape Ranger instead of Druid though.

AstralFire
2010-12-03, 03:35 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9864843

WinceRind
2010-12-03, 04:30 PM
I too see no problem with this. You might consider Wild Shape Ranger instead of Druid though.

To be honest, I kind of want a druid. A few spells never hurt - and at level 5, I can have access to up to level 3 spells with only 13 wisdom. Druids have quite a few useful buffs and emergency heals in their spell list, and I'm not planning to wear metal armor or use metal weapons so their limitations don't really affect me.

Not to mention, I want to have a pet. I know that with only 5 levels of druid it will not be particularly powerful (although I might take a feat to help with that... Nature Bond? Or whatever, +3 or +4 to your effective druid level in regards to an animal companion.

I'm not particularly interested in having a very powerful pet, but I want something that fits the theme, possibly some kind of a scout/utility pet. Maybe a bird so I can turn into tiny shape (And master of many forms allows for pretty much any size wild shaping at higher levels) and fly on it. But then again, it might be easier to change into some kind of a flying race or monster.

I just like the idea of animal companion, and rangers get -4 to their effective druid level for theirs, not to mention only getting it at level 4. I haven't dug through the books to see what's good for an animal companion when you have effective druid level of 8, but I'm sure it's way better then what you'd get with effective druid level of 4.

Coidzor
2010-12-03, 04:39 PM
To be honest, I kind of want a druid. A few spells never hurt - and at level 5, I can have access to up to level 3 spells with only 13 wisdom. Druids have quite a few useful buffs and emergency heals in their spell list, and I'm not planning to wear metal armor or use metal weapons so their limitations don't really affect me.
Well, you can use metal weapons.

Not to mention, I want to have a pet. I know that with only 5 levels of druid it will not be particularly powerful (although I might take a feat to help with that... Nature Bond? Or whatever, +3 or +4 to your effective druid level in regards to an animal companion.
The feat Natural Bond and/or a dip into Beastmaster both boost effective druid level, the feat by 3 and the dip by 4(3boost+1level). And beastmaster would have the added benefit of giving you an even number of non-initiator levels before entering your martial adept class.

Alternatively, though admittedly, less powerful, is the Fey Bard which grants an animal companion as a druid, though loses inspire courage. Sadly the Blood of Eberron Sorcerer variant gives a Ranger's animal companion.

I just like the idea of animal companion, and rangers get -4 to their effective druid level for theirs, not to mention only getting it at level 4. I haven't dug through the books to see what's good for an animal companion when you have effective druid level of 8, but I'm sure it's way better then what you'd get with effective druid level of 4.

Fleshraker's fun either way, really.