PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Hybrid Fighter/Ranger - possible 2d10 [W] dice?

yethegodless
2010-12-03, 08:07 PM
I came across the Fighter Epic Destiny, Eternal Defender, which (among other things) allows him to increase weapon size and, at 30, can turn a hit into a full crit once per day. I thought about a mordenkrad, which normally deals 2d6 being bumped up to 2d8, and the lvl 29 Daily Avalanche of Steel, which does a straight 8[W] -- essentially, 16d8.

Now, this got me thinking: just how many damage dice could you roll for a single attack roll? I remembered the Avalanche Thrower paragon path for ranger, which bumps up your Heavy Thrown weapon dice up a notch, which brings about this question.

Could you wield a 2d10 mordenkrad as a heavy thrown weapon, provided you meet the requirements for the Paragon/Epic destinies (i.e.: being a ranger and a fighter, respectively)?

Meek
2010-12-03, 08:12 PM
There is no stated limit to the number of dice you can roll for a single roll. I'm not entirely familiar with the paragon path you're talking about, but the Mordenkrad isn't a heavy thrown weapon, so you can't really heavy throw it, unless you have a way to get it to become heavy thrown.

Hal
2010-12-03, 08:17 PM
There's a feat that lets you treat any two-handed weapon as a thrown weapon, but I'm not sure if that'd qualify. Also, I think it might be Barbarian specific.

tcrudisi
2010-12-04, 01:22 AM
How about Half-Orc Fighter|Paladin instead?

Take Tempus as your deity.
Play a Half-Orc (+1W damage)

Feat list:
Righteous Rage of Tempus (next crit has crit dice maximized OR next non-crit gets to add crit dice)
Ambush Tactics (+1d6 against creature not acted yet)
Devastating Critical (+1d10 on crit)
Sneak of Shadows + Backstabber (+5d8 sneak attack)
Font of Radiance (+3d6 at end of turn)

Items:
+6 Bloodiron Fullblade (+6d10 on crit, next turn target takes 6d10 at start of turn)
Epic Executioner's Bracers (+3d6 on crit)
2x War Rings (+12 damage each on crit, +2W daily free action on crit)

Note: this is not using any normal static enhancing feats or items (like Weapon Focus or the like), so the damage potential is actually much, much higher.

Avalanche of Steel on the first round, make it a crit.
normal damage: 8d12 + 6 (enhancement from Fullblade) + 1d6 (feat) + 5d8 (sneak attack) + 1d12 (racial) + Str and other mods
crit: 96 (power damage) + 60 (Fullblade crit) + 6 (enhancement) + 18 (bracers) + 24 (War Rings) + 48 (War Rings daily) + 10 (feat) + 6 (feat) + 40 (sneak attack) + 12 (racial) + Str and other mods

= 320 damage (+3d6 at the end of turn and 6d10 more next round at the start of your turn).

Not bad. This would be a lot better if you factor in static mods. Also, I ignored Paragon Path (Knights of Celestia for automatic divine challenge damage). I'm sure I probably left out a thing or two as well. For example, items that give you a free attack when you crit, or the like, but I just focused on straight critical hit damage and increasing weapon damage (since that gets maximized via RRoT).

If you just want to roll as many dice as possible, do look at a 2d6 or 2d4 weapon like you were going and still take Rogue for sneak attack. The above still works, just don't take RRoT so you actually get to roll it. :smallbiggrin:

tenshiakodo
2010-12-04, 08:01 AM
What about a Dwarven Thrower Mordenkrad?

ShaggyMarco
2010-12-04, 09:14 AM
How about Half-Orc Fighter|Paladin instead?

Take Tempus as your deity.
Play a Half-Orc (+1W damage)

Feat list:
Righteous Rage of Tempus (next crit has crit dice maximized OR next non-crit gets to add crit dice)
Ambush Tactics (+1d6 against creature not acted yet)
Devastating Critical (+1d10 on crit)
Sneak of Shadows + Backstabber (+5d8 sneak attack)
Font of Radiance (+3d6 at end of turn)

Items:
+6 Bloodiron Fullblade (+6d10 on crit, next turn target takes 6d10 at start of turn)
Epic Executioner's Bracers (+3d6 on crit)
2x War Rings (+12 damage each on crit, +2W daily free action on crit)

Note: this is not using any normal static enhancing feats or items (like Weapon Focus or the like), so the damage potential is actually much, much higher.

Avalanche of Steel on the first round, make it a crit.
normal damage: 8d12 + 6 (enhancement from Fullblade) + 1d6 (feat) + 5d8 (sneak attack) + 1d12 (racial) + Str and other mods
crit: 96 (power damage) + 60 (Fullblade crit) + 6 (enhancement) + 18 (bracers) + 24 (War Rings) + 48 (War Rings daily) + 10 (feat) + 6 (feat) + 40 (sneak attack) + 12 (racial) + Str and other mods

= 320 damage (+3d6 at the end of turn and 6d10 more next round at the start of your turn).

Not bad. This would be a lot better if you factor in static mods. Also, I ignored Paragon Path (Knights of Celestia for automatic divine challenge damage). I'm sure I probably left out a thing or two as well. For example, items that give you a free attack when you crit, or the like, but I just focused on straight critical hit damage and increasing weapon damage (since that gets maximized via RRoT).

If you just want to roll as many dice as possible, do look at a 2d6 or 2d4 weapon like you were going and still take Rogue for sneak attack. The above still works, just don't take RRoT so you actually get to roll it. :smallbiggrin:

How are you sneak attacking with a fullblade?

tcrudisi
2010-12-04, 09:18 AM
How are you sneak attacking with a fullblade?

/cough. Did I say sneak attack at 40 damage? I meant multiclass into Ranger to get Hunter's Quarry for 24 damage. So subtract 16. /cough.