PDA

View Full Version : elven spell lore & types of damage

Raendyn
2010-12-04, 06:38 AM
Hello guys,

Here is my problem.
I am running a campaign in FR, & u have an elf wizard as aplayer with the
feat : Elven spell lore, for those not familiar"

Elven spell lore: Your understanding of the elven secrets of magic grants you two BENEFITS:. When you cast dispel magic or greater dispel magic, you gain a +2 bonus on your caster level check. Your understanding of magic allows you to more easily unravel the power that sustains a foe's spell. In addition, your knowledge of magic grants you rare insights into forgotten spell lore. Choose a single spell in your spellbook when you take this feat. When preparing that spell, you can alter the type of damage it deals to a single energy type of your choice. You must make this choice when preparing the spell (those who do not prepare spells cannot benefit from this aspect of the feat). You can prepare the spell multiple times, selecting the same or a different energy type for it with each preparation. You can gain this feat multiple times. The caster level bonus does not stack, and each time you take the feat, a different spell must be chosen.

Well, the prob here is that this player claimed that he can make his scorching ray from fire to sacred damage & thus bypassing everyones spell resistance...

I ruled that he must choose fire/frost/lighting/acid/sonic because the feat says energy.He insisted that he is right & after that session i should check it.
So, here i am asking what do you people believe, i don't want to nerf somethign when i can do other things to balance him down.

I am just asking if i understood correctly the term energy type which are the energy types of damage?. Later i added that maybe he can add positive of negative energy too.... But i wanna be fair. the reason i allowed those elements is because i used:

Protection from energy grants temporary immunity to the type of energy you specify when you cast it (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic). When the spell absorbs 12 points per caster level of energy damage (to a maximum of 120 points at 10th level), it is discharged.

as guideline in energy types.

Tell me you opinions/suggestions guys.

Thanks in advance!

Halae
2010-12-04, 06:50 AM
1. Sacred Damage is not an energy type. His choices are as follows - Fire, Electricity, Cold, Acid, and Sonic.

2. Even if Sacred was a selectable energy type, enemies would still be entitled to make their spell resistance because not the feat, nor the spell, nor the damage type bypass it, and it is still a spell.

That's pretty much it, so he was wrong on two levels

Yora
2010-12-04, 06:57 AM
I completely agree with Harnel.

Violet Octopus
2010-12-04, 07:03 AM
If you need a source to convince your player further, the glossary in the back of the PHB, under "energy damage", defines it as fire, cold, acid, sonic or electricity.

Sounds like your player was confusing aspects of spells like flame strike, where part of the damage is purely divine and not subject to energy resistance (but is still subject to spell resistance).