PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dice Games and Gambling in a Fantasy Setting

Callos_DeTerran
2010-12-04, 11:39 AM
Here's a peculiar question...has anyone ever found or created rules for dice games, gambling, or card games (along the lines of like...poker, not Yu-Gi-Oh) within a fantasy setting? I KNOW I saw rules for something like...'dragon bones' or something in a Dragon magazine article for the Age of Worms adventure path, but I can't find it online.

So here's to the playground, what sort of games of chance do your characters play in their off-times? Besides Three-Dragon Ante that is. Not looking for anything particularly in-depth or complicated, just the sort of thing one might find going on in inns and taverns.

dsmiles
2010-12-04, 11:54 AM
I find that dice games like Craps work well, since die rolls are already random. I've also used Profession (Gambler) checks, but the only actual card game I've used is Three-Dragon Ante.

Last Laugh
2010-12-04, 01:31 PM
Although I've never tried it in a game session Three Dragon Ante is interesting. It isn't quite random, but has rules for allowing skills such as Profession(gambler) to give a bonus.

It is a product by WotC

snoopy13a
2010-12-04, 01:40 PM
I think it would just be easier to use established games such as poker, blackjack, and craps which your players may already be familiar with.

Profession (gambler) would help in a poker-like game that has a skill component but wouldn't help in craps unless you are using your superior knowledge of the odds to place bets that favor you (this would only work against ignorant bettors though). Blackjack has a skill component but most experienced players play optimally (or close enough) so it is really about luck (unless you can count the cards).

On the other hand, gambling in DnD is frought with peril as magic makes it even easier to cheat.

Incanur
2010-12-04, 01:43 PM
I actually made up a dice game for a campaign once. The players enjoyed it. I've forgotten how it worked now, though.

arguskos
2010-12-04, 02:17 PM
Oh, time to introduce the Most Dangerous Game: Aesgareth's game of chance.

For the uninitiated: Aesgareth was a cambion the player character could meet in Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal. He had something the character needed, but refused to part with it for anything less than a game of chance, the rules of which follow below.

The Game: Aesgareth was in possession of a unique Deck of Many Things, and the game centered around that object. It was two player. Each would advance something as the stakes, typically experience points or hit points in exchange for something the other held that the first desired (such as a magic weapon or item). The first player, the player wagering experience or life, would draw first and handle the consequences, then the second would play. Should they both survive (not a guarantee), the winner would be determined by which drawn card had the highest suit (something not elaborated on by BG2), and would take their prize from the other.

The Rules (this is for 3.5): Ideally, you should change the effects of the cards to something unique, so that older and smarter players can't metagame the deck. Of course, this is not required. The "suit" actually requires you have a DMG on hand, since there is a method to play with the Deck of Many Things using only a deck of playing cards in there. Using that, it gives each card a suit and value, which can be used for this game quite effectively.

Now, personally, I highly suggest you fiddle with the deck as it suits you. The game is quite entertaining, with strong chances of good and bad rewards. It's a dangerous and challenging game, one few players willingly take up, but is a hell of a good time. :smallcool:

Baveboi
2010-12-04, 02:24 PM
In the game, The Witcher, there was a side-quest where you find some Poker Dices and learn hwo to play the game, wearn some money and beat pros (I was frikkin good at it, too).

You could introduce games like Poker using d6s or other games liek chess or checkers

Ormur
2010-12-04, 03:44 PM
My character has been routinely fleecing copper of dirt farmers (along with his servant) on principle. The DM had me roll a bluff check, I don't remember whether he threw luck dice also but it would make sense.

DisgruntledDM
2010-12-04, 04:37 PM
Before it went down, Zogonia's website had rules for a dice game called Zhuno. You may be able to find that somewhere online.

I'm also making custom Inn Fighting cards for my group's characters, in case they want to get into a tavern brawl.

Mordokai
2010-12-04, 05:12 PM
Here's a peculiar question...has anyone ever found or created rules for dice games, gambling, or card games (along the lines of like...poker, not Yu-Gi-Oh) within a fantasy setting? I KNOW I saw rules for something like...'dragon bones' or something in a Dragon magazine article for the Age of Worms adventure path, but I can't find it online.

I have that one lying somewhere around on pdf. If you want me, I could look them up for you and PM them to you.

Oh, time to introduce the Most Dangerous Game: Aesgareth's game of chance.

For the uninitiated: Aesgareth was a cambion the player character could meet in Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal. He had something the character needed, but refused to part with it for anything less than a game of chance, the rules of which follow below.

The Game: Aesgareth was in possession of a unique Deck of Many Things, and the game centered around that object. It was two player. Each would advance something as the stakes, typically experience points or hit points in exchange for something the other held that the first desired (such as a magic weapon or item). The first player, the player wagering experience or life, would draw first and handle the consequences, then the second would play. Should they both survive (not a guarantee), the winner would be determined by which drawn card had the highest suit (something not elaborated on by BG2), and would take their prize from the other.

The Rules (this is for 3.5): Ideally, you should change the effects of the cards to something unique, so that older and smarter players can't metagame the deck. Of course, this is not required. The "suit" actually requires you have a DMG on hand, since there is a method to play with the Deck of Many Things using only a deck of playing cards in there. Using that, it gives each card a suit and value, which can be used for this game quite effectively.

Now, personally, I highly suggest you fiddle with the deck as it suits you. The game is quite entertaining, with strong chances of good and bad rewards. It's a dangerous and challenging game, one few players willingly take up, but is a hell of a good time. :smallcool:

Interesting fact: there's a mod out there that allows a female character to propose herself as a wager :smallcool: Haven't yet tried it out, but I am working on it presently :smallbiggrin: If you want to know the details, I guess some screenshots won't be too hard to take.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-12-04, 05:42 PM
I have that one lying somewhere around on pdf. If you want me, I could look them up for you and PM them to you.

Would be much appreciated.

Interesting fact: there's a mod out there that allows a female character to propose herself as a wager :smallcool: Haven't yet tried it out, but I am working on it presently :smallbiggrin: If you want to know the details, I guess some screenshots won't be too hard to take.

See, the problem with that game is finding enough Deck of Many Things for that game to catch on...though it DOES remind me of this dungeon where the doors were made of over-sized cards from the DoMT and opening the door unleashed the effect.

Greenish
2010-12-04, 05:48 PM
Oh, time to introduce the Most Dangerous Game: Aesgareth's game of chance.I fear that is something of a misnomer.

The real the Most Dangerous Game: http://shirtoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/the-most-dangerous-game.jpg

That said, does anyone know if there are fan-made rules for Thud?

Ravens_cry
2010-12-04, 07:50 PM
I have suggested doing this in game during character off time. (http://xkcd.com/244/)
To the Internet, Greenish!
SEARCH!
BOOLEAN!
GOOGLE!
(http://www.thudgame.com/rules)

Thurbane
2010-12-04, 07:53 PM
Crown and Anchor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_and_Anchor) is a nice, fantasy/medieval feel dice game.

Crow
2010-12-04, 08:07 PM
If anyone has played Trade Wars 2002, you can refluff Tri-Cron as I dunno...Tri-Crown?

Let Profession (Gambler) checks allow the player to know what one of the cards is before he flips it. Or not...It really is a game of complete luck...but with real cards, I could see counting cards being useful.

comicshorse
2010-12-04, 08:37 PM
Our Warhammer G.M. invented the Orc game 'Raid' that the P.C.s picked up while campaigning with the Hobgoblin Horde ( don't ask) and brought back to the Empire. A mixture of luck, intellect and relexes that is always played with the off-hand ( so you don't cripple your sword-hand). I don't remember the exact rules so I'll have to ask him next time I see.

Ozreth
2010-12-04, 09:16 PM
The City Builder's book has rules for dice games as well as arm wrestling I believe.